Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What antivirus do you use?

What A/V software do you use?

• Avira

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Avast

Votes: 16 12.2%
  • AVG

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • ESET NOD32

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • F-Prot/F-Secure

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kaspersky

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Norton

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Trend Micro

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • No antivirus

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 26 19.8%

• Total voters
So, I'm wondering what people use to protect their computers from viruses... Please choose one of the above options or include your antivirus software in the comments below.

Never had a virus in 30 years.

Of course my machine of choice helps............

diachi

icecruncher said:
Never had a virus in 30 years.

Of course my machine of choice helps............

Linux ?

I clicked the common sense option, although I do have Sophos all it's doing is wasting space, it detects squat, needs set up again :p

trend micro internet security 14. i love the wifi detection feature...along with a mac filter on my router(dd-wrt firmware) i can block MAC addresses and people wonder why they cant log into my router... [smiley=evil.gif]

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
awesome idea for a poll

i work in computer security field and personally think kaspersky internet security 2009 is the best

another relatively unknown but outstanding product is fsecure internet security 2009

http://fsecure.com/en_EMEA/products/

I don't run an antivirus personally, but on the other PCs at home I have Kaspersky installed.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
yeah i agree using antivirus can be pointless, the bottom line is just don't be dumb and most of them time u will be ok. in my entire life never had virus / spyware / malware

i list viruses in terms of ones that are your fault to get, and ones that exploit a vulnerability in your browser for remote execution , or java, adobe acrobat reader, word, etc

KIS 2009 has a vulnerability scanner to check for software with known exploits against it, i like having KIS just to check for vulnerable software. i consider that a greater risk that malware and viruses themselves

sometimes its better to just not use antivirus (depending on ur experience level), and then just regularly scan computer with malwarebytes anti malware, or do online virus scan like once a month

just my 2 cents=)

peace

-ave

jwc

Linux and before that, common sense.

The only time when common sense doesn't work occurs when you open a file whose handler has a security exploit.

Edit: just read your post, c0ldshadow... Sorry for inadvertently copying you. :blush: