Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Weird phr problem

jeffd

Specs on the laser:
pocket mini host
phr
flex drive
125ma

The laser worked perfectly for two weeks. Recently it has been emitting a quiet high pitched humming sound (not every time i use it, just occasionally). And now it seams to be dead:( barely emits any dot at all(yes i tried using new batteries).

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Did you open it?, duty cycle? Maybe you dropped it?

The sound is likely coming from the driver.

sounds the like the diode is dead now.....
question is what caused it....

you may want to send it off to Darkarmyofone, he charges a flat rate of $10 (you supply the parts) for laser assembly.

i would have someone test the driver to make sure it's working ok, and then replace the diode.

jeffd

Did you open it?, duty cycle? Maybe you dropped it?

The sound is likely coming from the driver.

Opened it after it broke to check all the connections. Always used a duty cycle. And nope never dropped it.

jeffd

Ok i didnt even touch it and now it is working perfectly? this is weird...

A high pitched humming sound could be coming from your batteries if they are protected or maybe the driver. I don't have a clue what would cause it to hum though.

cust11

A loose or intermittent ground connection could cause a whine/hum sound. Just my $0.02

-Mike

As mentioned somewhere else, the FlexDriver uses a high-frequency switching for its voltage conversion. The hum might be from some "beat" in the audible range for that.

One question, do you have just your diode connected to the output - or have you added a capacitor? If so, I'd remove it.

A high pitched humming sound could be coming from your batteries if they are protected or maybe the driver. I don't have a clue what would cause it to hum though.

something like that happened to my batteries except it was stranger, 1st the batteries made a high pitched noise then i saw som smoke i looked inside and a smoke cloud puffed out of the battery into my face (smelled like alchohol or some acidic thing) so ti threw them out in an instant.

Dispose of the batteries properly, NOT IN THE TRASH!!! The batteries had a higher ma draw than they could handle so they fried, or else they got shorted out. Obviously the fumes from the cell are very, very toxic so be careful!!!

sounds like a Lipo case breach, they have very thin skins and a short can burn right through the casing in an instant which releases the juice from the inside which is under some small pressure and smells like acetone and alcohol.
I have had this happen to me a couple of times while working with LiPo "D" cells they realy pack a punch. :gun:

peace All...

something like that happened to my batteries except it was stranger, 1st the batteries made a high pitched noise then i saw som smoke i looked inside and a smoke cloud puffed out of the battery into my face (smelled like alchohol or some acidic thing) so ti threw them out in an instant.

HIMNL9

Careful to never use water on Lithium broken batteries.

dry it with adsorbent paper the more possible, then use some protective anti-corrosion ..... lithium is dangerous.

I got some years ago a little ustion on fingers through a protective glove (and partially burned the glove, one of those hard work protective ones), making the error to put water on a opened lithium cell for wash away the liquid ..... the cell becomed over 100 degrees in a pair of seconds :p

diachi

The humming noise was probably the driver, since it's a switching based boost/buck driver. If you can take it apart, try testing the diode with another driver. If that doesn't work the LD is probably LEDified.

lithium isn't very potent in the air, but yes, in water you get a release of hydrogen gas... if the reaction gets hot enough, then you run the risk of igniting it!

Ash

The humming noise was probably the driver, since it's a switching based boost/buck driver.
Sounds right. I have a PHR set at >100mA on a flexdrive that hums on low batteries. I think it's the flexdrive humming. :whistle:

My flex drives do this occasionally. Usually it happens with low batteries or poor electrical contact.
Check solder joints and case to diode contact. If you need to, stick a sliver of aluminum foil between diode module and the case.