Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WARNING- See if you will ever buy an Ultrafire after seeing this.....

Another photo to show how much Ultrafire is a scam

Last edited:

BE CAREFUL TAKING APART CELLS!!!! If they are real 18650's then there is serious potential energy in them. I mean look at the post above where the ultrafire exploded and seriously hurt that old man :(

If you are going to take them apart, PLEASE BE CAREFUL, wear protective gloves, mask and gear. Do it outside in a well open ventilated area and down wind from people. Fumes may be given off if its a real 18650

I just get a laugh out of seeing all these different "inner" cells. Ultrafire is basically just like hmmmm what cell is cheapest this week? Ok we will wrap those and scam some more people

No worries. I plan to take precautions because I know from photos and video how volitle these cells can be when they fail catastrophically.

Figured you knew the dangers but didnt want new members to see your post and be like oh great idea let me go rip mine apart and then *boom* opps my finger is gone :eek:

I did have one but I sold it off because the mineral oil kept making a mess everywhere. I'm not sure it would have been powerful enough to see through my cells anyway. Maybe though! That would be a good project. I think.

Three UltraFire cells with 3 different bogus cells inside.

I also received one which only weighed about 50% of the normal 48 grams for a current #18650 cell.

I haven't opened it up yet, since I know it is bogus.

Weight your "off-brand" 18650 cells and throw away any that don't weight 47-48 grams.

One of my customers had a new light with one of these UltraFire cells in his mouth . . .

when he noticed it buzzing.

He threw it down on the ground, and it blew the end of the light apart.

Please only use cells that have passed the UL#1642 standards for safety.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
Hahaha this whole exposure might boost your sales Larry ;) but it wouldn't be a bad thing since people would have quality cells!

I only own Pannys and Sanyo for 18650s. Have a nice MKNE 26650 and getting a few King Kongs. All my 16340s are AW or Efest IMR. Oh crap I just remembered I have some crapfires in 10440........need to get some Efest 10440s!!!!

Better than what they've used in the past :crackup:
aPGyA.jpg

What is that?

lol

-Matt

LiPo to support higher current draw. Well, relatively speaking, higher than the 2C rule of thumb.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MByLwf21fdA/Te-3ywCit1I/AAAAAAAAB00/StabTspbdZU/s320/3000.JPG < check out this image from torchy's webpage here: Torchy the Battery Boy: 18650 Batteries / Chargers

Even the ones that are honest 18650 cells are just used laptop cells poorly pulled. I use "used" laptop cells, but the ones I use are Sanyo UR18650F, and when I pulled them, they only had been through ~20 cycles according to the counters in the battery pack. UR18650F are widely known as the best standard lithium ion cell, holding their voltage higher than others over the course of a discharge. But their capacity aint got nothing on the newer 3100 and 3400mAh cells, esp. when paired with a good driver!

Larry works hard to spread the good word about using these cells safely, I don't know why people keep buying off-brand batteries. If you can buy a toaster for $15, or a toaster bundled with a loaf of gasoline-soaked bread for $15, which would you choose? Sure, the gas-soaked bread is free, but how comfortable would you be with installing this gasoline soaked bread in your toaster?

Huh. I think I'll be bringing my Trustfire batteries to the battery recycling center once I can buy some new ones. The thing with the ****Fire brand batteries is they're inexpensive and more accessible. 6$ shipped for a pair of ****Fire brands vs 16-20$ for a pair of AW's and a lot of the places that sell good batteries don't ship to places like Canada.

On the subject of batteries then, are NiteCore batteries any good? I like the look of their 3400 mAh 18650's.

Last edited:
Nitecores are good but they are like $20/cell so people normally go with the panny 3400 pair for like $15/shipped

Ah. I wish good 18350's came in higher capacities than 700 mAh. I would love to get longer runtimes out of my 1.4 Watt 445.

Get 6 of them and just rotate them while charging ;)
That's what we all have to do, sucks but hopefully they will make larger capicity someday

I find it odd that they only come in 700 mAh. I have good AA batteries that are 2560 mAh each and a AA is roughly the same size as a 18350 (18350 is shorter, but its also fatter). Is it simply because 18350's aren't common and therefor have less R&D?