Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wanted, LPF, The History

jakeGT

Jay was the one that helped me the most... there were others, but jay was the most noob pleasant.:beer:

I agree, from the few purchases/questions I have had with jay, he has been awesome, and very very noob pleasant!
It's really nice to have people that will take time out of their day, to be a substitute teacher for you, with no pay.

It's really really cool, because with the world the way it is these days, everybody is out to cut someone's throat, instead of helping them!

Interesting thread :)

Nice to readup on all of the previous drama I missed before I joined, I remember when blurays were the new colours on the market, not quite as mainstream as these 445nm's have been though.

well one type of 405 want popular for as long. remeber it seemed like every month we had a new violet. back then people were still buying whole buners for 200 lol...

kes, phr, 4x, 6x, the first real monster 8x, short lived 10x, then the new fav the 12x.

michael

JLSE

well one type of 405 want popular for as long. remeber it seemed like every month we had a new violet. back then people were still buying whole buners for 200 lol...

kes, phr, 4x, 6x, the first real monster 8x, short lived 10x, then the new fav the 12x.

michael

200.!!?? For the first members in the 6x club, the LD's came from LG drives, mine
costing 480. IIRC.

Thats what made it such an exclusive diode.. Then followed the 55$ sleds
that were factory rejects for whatever reason..

From the time of the LG drive release to the cheaper sleds was several months if
not a full year.

Guys getting into this hobby now have it easy as far as pricing goes..
Cant wait for the first anniversary of the DLP diodes.. Can only imagine
what those fantastic engineers have in store for us :san:

ooops you're right....

also i remember members pooling money to buy a couple drives just to sacrifice for testing too

michael.

jakeGT

What's the next big diode going to be? For us hobbiests?
I need something new to tinker with

I didn't see it posted yet, but the very first person I saw posting a guide of a homemade laser was a user on Laser community going by the name "Stephanie"

She still has a site up, this is the original "guide"
DVD Laser « Transmissions from Planet Stephanie

I tried following it way back when DVD burners were the only way to get red diodes. I killed my first "new" little diode before I started sourcing them from broken computers...

I used to be into Laser Community a lot, but after the rift I left. I still have an original leadlight from wicked, supposedly around 35mW. I still have a CNI style fusion as well, I bought it soon after they stopped selling pot modded leadlights and started selling the good stuff.
A few years later Wicked started selling their own lasers which were total crap. Also, not too long after Wicked started selling cheap crap Dragon lasers came along. So Laser Community saw a great deal of posts like "My laser is broke!" and responses like "You should go to Dragon Lasers, it's a lot cheaper!" Lots of the participants in conversations like that were banned, Avery being one of them.

I guess all of that was already said, I hope I added something...

The member who helped me the most when I was getting started went by the name "Gadgeteer" over on Laser community. After I left I think he became a mod over there but I haven't seen him since. Anyone know where he went?
Also Psuedonomen, if I'm spelling that right, he knew his stuff well. BoomDog was one of the first on Laser community to build a laser scanner with a PIC programmer he got from RadioShack. I doubt he is the first, but he had a big thread on the community about attaching mirrors to spinning things. I remember him starting a "liquid sky" thread that consisted of a mirror assembly from a laser printer that was pretty big as well. I sourced many of my first "laser show" ideas from him.
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but it's been a long time!

jakeGT

I know, and Soraa is coming out with a 515nm direct diode I think? Is that correct? or was it 520-530nm.... I can't remember

JLSE

I think it was GooeyGus who was the first to breach the 200mA mark
on those.

Then Dave got a hold of some and went to town :scared:

Gooey also was the first to blow one out from too much current.. Think
his first died at 250mA or so.

With the prices they were going for, my drive sat on a shelf taunting me
for more than a week after receiving it. When I finally got up the nerve
to extract the LD, I set mine to a 'conservative' 220mA, if memory serves..

After that im almost certain Dave was first in line to beat the hell out
of every new diode as they were discovered. :eg:

I still cant remember who discovered the upper limits of the PHR. We were all
still buying PS3 sleds. It was a member here I know that. If that doesn't grant
legend status, I don't know what would..
:can:

ooops you're right....

also i remember members pooling money to buy a couple drives just to sacrifice for testing too

michael.

You know...I'm not sure who helped me the most. There are a lot of people on here that are always willing to help you along your laser journey. :)

2 people who stand out the most....Jayrob and Jander6442

You know...I'm not sure who helped me the most. There are a lot of people on here that are always willing to help you along your laser journey. :)

2 people who stand out the most....Jayrob and Jander6442
:thanks: @iskor "do for one what you would do for everyone"jander6442.
I have seen you be very helpful here also as all members should do on this fine forum.

jakeGT

:thanks: @iskor "do for one what you would do for everyone"jander6442.
I have seen you be very helpful here also as all members should do on this fine forum.

I agree, due unto others as you would want done to you.
And this forum, in my mind, is about laser pointers. It's not about, that guys an @$$, it's not about your an idiot if you can't figure this out, it should be about helping people to learn and understand about lasers.

I agree, due unto others as you would want done to you.
And this forum, in my mind, is about laser pointers. It's not about, that guys an @$$, it's not about your an idiot if you can't figure this out, it should be about helping people to learn and understand about lasers.

If most new members or even lurkers jumped in on this train of thought
then there might one less "airplane" incident down the road... knowledge is power.

John Lawson helped me the most in the beginning. John was a good man, too bad his personal life imploded. Jerry too. He answered a ton of stupid questions for me.

I kind of stayed away from Jay. I've never said this before but the first heat sink I bought was from him, and the interior was full of deep gouges. It looked liked he try to fix it, but most were too deep. Yeah I could have sent it back, but it turned me off that he would sell a n00b (me) a QC reject. So I just never really talked, or bought anything from him again.

No need to argue this point. Its obviously that the majority of his products are top notch, and he has helped many people here. Its just my own experience.