Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Voting Thread: I "C" Red Battle Royale

Speedy78

Are you running both of those at max current for close to 9ishW output?

I'm off for the night. Thank you so much or this contest LB. although my idea will more then likely fail, I still want to wish an honest good luck to all the other contesetents. This forum is amazing.

CDBEAM777

Speedy 78...Yes….the plan is to run BOTH C-Mounts….all the way to max….yet…still maintaining an acceptable and stable core temperature. This is why there is temperature monitoring and active cooling involved….and the possible use of a Peltier TE cooler plate.

All engineering is a series of compromises. JDR-1 is subject to this truth. To push these beautiful coherent light engines past their limits would be a great waste. I will push them…but mindful that an over aggressive approach will surly affect diode life.

A separate driver for each C-Mount…with current input at approx 4.5 A… minus loss for optics should deliver 8.5W out the business end !! We will see !!!

CDBEAM =====>

Last edited:

Shakenawake

What's the reason we're doing this before they are complete? don't mean to be rude but I don't get it. I'm excited to see what CDBEAM777 has cooking

Wolfman29

For those not aware, I updated my entry with some pictures of the host and the circuit. The circuit picture is just a layout, but it does indeed work.

Anyway, hop on over and check it out. The host looks identical to its original (outside) appearance.

CDBEAM777

Gentlemen,

I have updated the projected finished look of the Lawgiver ll. Note: the beam is a Photoshop add-in. See the attached pic. The back status indicator lights have been given an acrylic facetted lenses to improve visibility and looks.

The Lawgiver II brings these qualities to the table:

1) Serious Thermal management ( active and passive ) to protect and assure maximum and stable diode output. These diodes demand a substantial amount of metal to pull the heat away.
2) On-board monitoring of the heat sink temperature and Lipo Battery pac to safeguard and monitor unit conditions. Operations without such monitors put the diode in danger.
3) A control switch which has sequential operations. This delivers a safer way to operate the unit. The toggle operates like this: Full Back= Off, Middle position= Laser Armed and Full Forward=Laser On.
4) Very visual RED/GREEN status lights to indicate unit state.
5) A Green aiming laser to determine what the main beam will target. A good safety feature.
6) Serious battery power and the best method to get a maximum battery charge.
7) Overall good looks, especially if you like the “ Steam Punk “ look !!

In closing, this design follows the discipline that “ Form MUST follow Function “ The needs/demands of the C-mount diodes MUST be put FIRST… for a unit which will deliver MAXIMUM output and MAXIMUM diode life. The Lawgiver II does just this !!

Thanx for reading !! Vote for the Lawgiver II please !
CDBEAM=======>

Attachments

CDBEAM777

NKO29...THANX for the vote and the nice words !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CDBEAM=======>

gismo

This is a though call! Every participant deserves attention for their endeavour & labour, time & passion they've invested into these certainly remarkable projects.

Once all of them are finished, it'd be interesting to see the real results in a form of pictures and/or video footage.

I reckon the build which caught my eye in particular is the one from CDBEAM777. So I vote YES for him:).

"Shall the bloody red become damn hot again."

;)

Last edited:

gismo

Sugar, that's true alright... to create a wonder, funds for research are required. Winning a 5W diode is the purpose of the whole contest.

To be fair now, I couldn't decide between your and CDBEAM's project, but a choice's been made already. Your Big Red might still become real, the voting isn't over yet!

Last edited: