Speedy 78...Yes….the plan is to run BOTH C-Mounts….all the way to max….yet…still maintaining an acceptable and stable core temperature. This is why there is temperature monitoring and active cooling involved….and the possible use of a Peltier TE cooler plate.
All engineering is a series of compromises. JDR-1 is subject to this truth. To push these beautiful coherent light engines past their limits would be a great waste. I will push them…but mindful that an over aggressive approach will surly affect diode life.
A separate driver for each C-Mount…with current input at approx 4.5 A… minus loss for optics should deliver 8.5W out the business end !! We will see !!!
I have updated the projected finished look of the Lawgiver ll. Note: the beam is a Photoshop add-in. See the attached pic. The back status indicator lights have been given an acrylic facetted lenses to improve visibility and looks.
The Lawgiver II brings these qualities to the table:
1) Serious Thermal management ( active and passive ) to protect and assure maximum and stable diode output. These diodes demand a substantial amount of metal to pull the heat away.
2) On-board monitoring of the heat sink temperature and Lipo Battery pac to safeguard and monitor unit conditions. Operations without such monitors put the diode in danger.
3) A control switch which has sequential operations. This delivers a safer way to operate the unit. The toggle operates like this: Full Back= Off, Middle position= Laser Armed and Full Forward=Laser On.
4) Very visual RED/GREEN status lights to indicate unit state.
5) A Green aiming laser to determine what the main beam will target. A good safety feature.
6) Serious battery power and the best method to get a maximum battery charge.
7) Overall good looks, especially if you like the “ Steam Punk “ look !!
In closing, this design follows the discipline that “ Form MUST follow Function “ The needs/demands of the C-mount diodes MUST be put FIRST… for a unit which will deliver MAXIMUM output and MAXIMUM diode life. The Lawgiver II does just this !!
Thanx for reading !! Vote for the Lawgiver II please !