Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Video of 8 watt laser!

YouTube - Amazing laserbeam - WorldLaserNet.com - The largest Light Monument ever - 8000mW green laser

I figured this was worth posting. Awesome video.

15 Miles. Augsburg, Bismarktower, Germany

International contemporary light artist Oliver Bienkowski starts global project

Imagine a steady, green laser beam illuminating a prominent landmark of your city, viewable from up to 50 miles away.
Project WorldLaserNet.com is going to do this and more: Connecting the countries of the earth worldwide and creating a universal Landmark of Light for this planet.
With the national supersymbols of the developed countries as prominent exceptions, there is still a link missing between the continents and their peoples connecting and symbolizing humanity and that's it the WorldLasernet.com wants to do: To close the gap between nations, cultures and continents, and becoming a cultural landmark for the world.

How does it work?

After installation of a laser node on top of a building, a laser beam is sent to another building up to 80km/50 miles away, probably with a similar laser on it. This laser connection can bridge geographic and national borders with ease, thus connecting cities, nations, cultures, even continents.
WorldLaserNet.com assumes the laser net becomes a major tourist attraction, once installed.
The technical requirements to support the laser net are easy to describe: A single laser has 8W output, driven by a 75W Notebook accumulator, which is is easily supported by a solar panel during daytime, enabling the WorldLaserNet.com to function in rural area or even underdeveloped countries.
WorldLaserNet.com says, the initial price of a laser node won't exceed 30.000€/42.000US$. National laser-godfathers from worldlaserNet.com will keep in touch with sponsors and supporters, spreading the idea and furthering the goal of a landmark of humanity.

Benm

Sounds like a very cool idea :)

I live in a fairly tall building in the netherlands, so if any relays here are needed, let me know :)

Benm

Why?

Spanning the whole world isnt possible, but in most of western europe cities with tall buildings are close enough together to make it entirely feasible.

Its probably never going to happen though, sounds like an expensive project and it will involve getting lots of licenses and such... bit of political limitation there.

ixfd64

Some of our members (*cough* FrothyChimp) have even more powerful lasers. :D

8W of 532 isnt that much at all when you think about it. Some vag burners(systems) can reach 80W+ 532 .:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Shame, Shame ..... they may also have used that laser in a more helpful way ..... like, as example ..... er ..... *COUGH*sendittomeforfree*COUGH*

:p :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

8W of 532 isnt that much at all when you think about it. Some vag burners(systems) can reach 80W+ 532 .
Typo, :crackup: But it is a cool idea. I'd like to see it actually happen

yag=vag....vagina, its a joke since these were made for removing warts from sensitive lady parts ;)

But you are correct, its YAG

LSRFAQ

does this laser pop balloons?

If your going to do it, do it right. This has been done in decades past, I'm not a fan of non scanning beams, but here is who he's copying.

Figure out the funding to do this in both New York and Berlin, the attached video is Yvette Mattern, which is where this guy got the idea. She got major funding to do this for a few nights in both cities last year. She's a social animal, who was smart and hired techies in both cities to get results. Her Dad worked for the FAA, and pulled strings to get her into NY Airspace legally.

Besides, German regs prohibit fixed outdoor shows in most cases, as does much of the rest of Europe. And yes, this is a show, in airspace, by legal definition, not art.

I'm not too impressed with 8 watts, what I used to work on had two largeframe argons and a large frame krypton, so about 60 watts nightly, all summer. With 4 scan heads and about 30 beam positions.

YouTube - From One to Many - Yvette Mattern - Berlin

Steve

Last edited:

HIMNL9

But i'm sad to say you that, in those videos and shows, usually yellow and orange are obtained mixing green and red (as they usually state) ..... i suppose that, also for these shows, is too much high the cost for get 10 or 15W of pure yellow DPSS cavities ..... even IF it's possible, at the actual levels of building .....

I mean, with a 2 or 3% efficency ..... ok, ok, just imagine a perfectly tuned 5% efficency cavity ..... for 15W of yellow, it must need 300W of IR, and a neutral atmosphere cavity / liquid coolant combined system, probably ..... not impossible, but i can imagine, not exactly cheap ..... ;)