Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UPDATE -- 445nm Pen Laser -- UPDATE

daguin

You knew that somebody had to do it.

I built a 445nm pointer. It has a Micro Boost driver. It uses two @ AAA batteries. I have this one set at 350mA. It is putting out 110mW with the stock AixiZ acrylic lens. It will smoke the front of my desk.

It is pretty cool. However, it eats AAA batteries like an afternoon snack.

It begins to feel warm (not hot) after ~45 seconds

UPDATE 6/16/10
I was getting frustrated with how quickly the laser was eating through alkaline batteries. I decided to put a 10440 with a spacer in the barrel.

It became very obvious right away that something was different.

Apparently, the alkalines never did give the driver the current it needed. When I replaced the AAA batteries with the single 10440, the output shot up to 170mW! With the 405-G-1 lens it is just over 200mW.

My satisfaction shot up right along with it

NEW UPDATE 6/25/10

I got some lithium "E2's" today. They were not able to keep up with the current draw either. It looks like this one will still be powered by the 10440. Maybe at closer to 200mA :thinking:

445nm_pena.jpg

Beam shot taken with NOTHING added to the air
445nm_penb.jpg

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

Re: 445nm Pen Laser

Aye, someone had to, but you weren't the first this time :na: In all seriousness though, clean build, looks nice.

You must build constantly, this is the second build by you I've seen in the past ten minutes.

Last edited:

daguin

Aye, someone had to, but you weren't the first this time :na:

You must build constantly, this is the second build by you I've seen in the past ten minutes.

There is so much happening in this area. Did I miss a post about a pen-style pointer?

I'm on my first Summer break. :)

No classes until after the 4th of July :evil:

Peace,
dave

Nice pen build. It is a bummer that these diodes are such power hungry beasts.

daguin

UPDATE

I was getting frustrated with how quickly the laser was eating through alkaline batteries. I decided to put a 10440 with a spacer in the barrel.

Apparently, the alkalines never did give the driver the current it needed. When I replaced the AAA batteries with the single 10440, the output shot up to 170mW! With the 405-G-1 lens it is just over 200mW.

My satisfaction shot up right along with it ;)

Peace,
dave

Thaaat sounds more like it... Was saying, I'm looking at about 300mW at 450mA (405-G-1) ; 110@350mA seemed a bit low! Anyways, awesome. Nice to see these 445 builds coming together.

What duty cycle limit are you using now that its 170mW?
I'm wanting a tiny 10440 build now. :D Heatsinking mass will suck I know but I love tiny builds, just can't help it. One of these days I need to ram a microcontroller IC into a build to have temp & runtime monitoring.

Hey Dave, Thats a great little build. Its nice to see one of these ran at a lower power. If/when I ever get a 445nm I plan to run it at a nice low current. I want 150-200mW max. I just do not like the idea of having one of these running at 700mW+ its just to much for me. Id burn stuff.....like curtans....couch...the cat...... :whistle:

Keep up the great work!
+1

Si

jayrob

UPDATE

My satisfaction shot up right along with it ;)

Peace,
dave

Nice build Dave!

I''ll bet that 2 X Energizer e2 lithium primaries will give the same output as the 10440...

They tend to give a little more voltage than alkalines, with plenty of current available. You will be at about 3.5 volts.

Plus, they will have more capacity even in parallel, than a single 10440.

But still yet, a rechargeable is a good option... :gj:

I was just about to post what Jay just did. Lithium AAA cells have a maximum discharge rate of about 1.5 amps according to Energizer. Plenty of current once you stack in a second cell!

And with minimal heatsinking, those cells should match the duty cycle -- Short but sweet!!!!

HMike

Daguin, what module are you using?
I've found that the "Sure" modules offer better heat transmission to the host in pen style builds than the Aixiz.
The diameter is slightly larger and allows for a better press fit into pens.
In most pen hosts I've tried, the Aixiz modules slip right out the back end.

Of course, the disadvantage of the Sure modules is that they are not threaded all the way down so cannot be used with the high power lenses unless some threading on the lens nut is removed (I'm sure you are aware). But if you are using Aixiz glass or acrylic I guess it wouldn't matter.