Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

'Underages' Laser Lovers.

I have notised alot of people insulting 'Underaged' Laser lovers (Not on the Laserpointerfourm ;)). By Underaged, I mean under 18. Like on youtube, Skater335 or whatever he is called has a 175mW hulk. On the video, I saw some really horrible comments, just becouse he was 14! (Or however old he was). In my opinion: If you understand, Respect and are responical around lasers, then thats good enufe (Oh yea and have saftey glasses ::)) It is especially silly, as its not like the instant you turn 18 you are suddenly Mr.Mature (Or Miss/Mrs. Mature ;D). I know it dosent happen on the LPF, but on other websites it dose!

Anyone agree?

hashlasersdosei said:
I have notised alot of people insulting 'Underaged' Laser lovers (Not on the Laserpointerfourm  ;)). By Underaged, I mean under 18. Like on youtube, Skater335 or whatever he is called has a 175mW hulk. On the video, I saw some really horrible comments, just becouse he was 14! (Or however old he was). In my opinion: If you understand, Respect and are responical around lasers, then thats good enufe (Oh yea and have saftey glasses  ::)) It is especially silly, as its not like the instant you turn 18 you are suddenly Mr.Mature (Or Miss/Mrs. Mature  ;D). I know [highlight]it dosent happen on the LPF[/highlight], but on other websites it dose!

Anyone agree?

HA! Good joke.

Ace82

People love to bitch about anything and everything they can. Why? IDK. Maybe to make themselves seem cooler, who knows. But age is a general way of recognizing intelligence, wisdom, and discipline. "Seniority", they call it. It is a common stereo type for older people to degrade youngsters because they are thinking of themselves too highly, to the point where they become predigests against the younger people who are gifted an entire life ahead, do not have to go through "what they went through" that made them who they are that won't allow them to become as cool as they are, or whatever. And that being said, youngsters will be frowned upon in everything they do that isn't academic or hard work, like skateboarding, lasers, or what ever interests they might express.

It's best to ignore the mockery, especially to avoid arguments because there will be no winning, no compromise. "It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks".

Now, some younger people are quite intelligent, and some older people are absolutly stupid. It goes both ways.

Who is more likely to race illegally on the streets, a 16yr old boy, or a 70yr old gramps?
Who is more likely to steal, a thug off the streets, or a Catholic school boy?
Who is more likely to misuse lasers, a young immature boy, or a mature adult man?

...now...

Who is more likely to learn new things, develop with today's technology?

Check out this thread:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1229552411

Artix said:
Sorry I didn't think about that. I just got excited with the snow, and the laser. :-[

Now, I don't know how old Artix is, but that is EXACTLY how I imagine a teenager feeling & acting with a high powered laser.

Excited, it's snowing, this is gonna be cool, etc. = bad judgment using the laser over a busy road!

Chances are older adults are better able to overcome those feelings of excitement and use better judgment.

Ironbar said:
Check out this thread:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1229552411

[quote author=Artix link=1229552411/0#6 date=1229555804]Sorry I didn't think about that. I just got excited with the snow, and the laser. :-[

Now, I don't know how old Artix is, but that is EXACTLY how I imagine a teenager feeling & acting with a high powered laser.

Excited, it's snowing, this is gonna be cool, etc. = bad judgment using the laser over a busy road!

Chances are older adults are better able to overcome those feelings of excitement and use better judgment.[/quote]

I'm 15, and I am always safe with my laser. I have 2 pairs of safety goggles, one for me and one for anybody else with me. I would NEVER shine my lasers at a busy road, NEVER at airplanes, people, animals, etc. It's not about age, it's about maturity.

-Mark

Ace82 said:
People love to bitch about anything and everything they can.  Why?  IDK.  Maybe to make themselves seem cooler, who knows.  But age is a general way of recognizing intelligence, wisdom, and discipline.  "Seniority", they call it.  It is a common stereo type for older people to degrade youngsters because they are thinking of themselves too highly, to the point where they become predigests against the younger people who are gifted an entire life ahead, do not have to go through "what they went through" that made them who they are that won't allow them to become as cool as they are, or whatever.  And that being said, youngsters will be frowned upon in everything they do that isn't academic or hard work, like skateboarding, lasers, or what ever interests they might express.  

It's best to ignore the mockery, especially to avoid arguments because there will be no winning, no compromise.  "It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks".  

Now, some younger people are quite intelligent, and some older people are absolutly stupid.  It goes both ways.  

Who is more likely to race illegally on the streets, a 16yr old boy, or a 70yr old gramps?  
Who is more likely to steal, a thug off the streets, or a Catholic school boy?  
Who is more likely to misuse lasers, a young immature boy, or a mature adult man?  

...now...

Who is more likely to learn new things, develop with today's technology?  

Well said.

The best thing to do is just ignore insults and keep calm.

Maturity doesn't come from age or intelligence or anything like that.

It's all based on life experiences. When I was 14 I was so 'shielded' from the real world (much like all you younger kids are, even if it feels like you know how things work and you're 'all grown up) but after I turned 18 I grew up VERY quickly. I made a lot of BAD choices, but those choices gave me some very valuable life experiences that make me who I am now, at 23.

The fact is, I remember when I was in 6th grade I thought I was all grown up and that I knew everything about 'grown-ups' and how the world worked. When I see a 6th grader now, I chuckle a bit because they are very obviously CHILDREN, but at that age I felt like I was all grown up.

I also think maturity comes from the ability to realize that you dont know everything about everything and also realize that you truly wont be done 'growing' until the day you die.

I think the 'age prejudice' comes from adults who have had a lot of intense life experiences, and see kids as not necessarily 'immature', but very 'inexperienced'.

I wrote this post over the span of 4 hours... added a sentence every few minutes so if it doesn't make sense I'm sorry lol... I was doing a laser show in the snow :cool: :cool:

I'm perfectly fine with a bunch of Harry Potters running around with Wands of Blinding.
-Most people have too many rods and cones anyway.

Well said Gus. I feel the same way - children are just that: children.
A lot of them I see these days seem to think they are entitled to adult-style treatment, and that just isn't gonna fly.

Maturity is one thing, and I acknowledge that I've met some kids who I consider quite mature for their age - but experience is worth a lot more IMO.

LOL King - that's hilarious! ;)

GooeyGus said:
Maturity doesn't come from age or intelligence or anything like that.

True, but wisdom comes from life experiences. Maturity tells us that we shouldn't be doing something. Wisdom is the ability to not do it at all. I know that at 28, I am much MUCH more wise then I was at 14. And come on, no matter how much we all want to say we were responsible in our teens, be honest. I can think of a dozen potentially dangerous things I was a participant in. I was a model student involved heavily in after school and church activities. I graduated top 10 in my class. But even though I was very responsible, I did stupid things. You see, I was very responsible FOR MY AGE. There is a big difference.

Peer pressure and lack of life experience leads to moments of weakness. Nothing against teens, but this is just how the world works.

My personal feelings are that my son will not be allowed a laser until he has a drivers license.

GooeyGus said:
Maturity doesn't come from age...
It's all based on life experiences.

I agree. However, I don't think there's a scale for life experiences like there is for age. Age is a decent indication of maturity. Yes, there will be a few mature 12 year-olds, but they are few and far in between. Yes, there will be a few immature 50 year-olds, but they, too, are few and far in between.

Things

I'm only 14 as of now, joined these forums when I was 13 (Almost 600 days ago, from now!)

I have been told by lot of people I am mature for my age. I keep my lasers to myself, I dont go handing them out to people (Unless they are in my house, so there is no chance of anyone else being hit by it)

If I am using my projector on tree's outside, I monitor ALL the lights in the sky. If one appears to be flashing, then I immediately shut it off etc. I know the flight paths of all the planes around here, and what i can do and what I cant.

Not to be "bragging" or anything, and I do agree, the longer you have been living on this here earth, the more knowledge you gain, but for people to be going "You shouldnt have that laser you baby" or something like that annoys me.

I doubt anyone here would realize how many underage members there are here (apart rom teh on wiht relly bad speling and gramer) if no one told their age.

Then again, there is ALOT of stupid comments on youtube, and just plain idiots lined around the place, not really much you can do about them except mark their comments as spam, or delete comments all together.

The worst part is when people go "Shut up, I am older than j00, so i know more", which in alot of cases is total crap. I just tend to ignore that kinda stuff anyway, you can do the same on YouTube if it bothers you  ;)

EDIT: Not that I would call people underage anyway, more like "younger members", theres not many restrictions on how old you need to be to post on a forum like this.