Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Top secret laser for sale.

jakeGT

flexdrive, microboost, 3xAAA's=4.5V required for flex/micro's

That's my assumption

EDIT: hasn't somebody made hosts out of the xl100's before?

Last edited:
:thinking: The drivers work well with 1 18650 battery? Why not 3 10440 batteries in parallel?

jakeGT

That my friend, I don't know haha. I just figured that was the reason for 3xAAA's

EDIT: hasn't somebody made hosts out of the xl100's before?

BINGO jake, somebody HAS done it before... the original designer and I have spoken.... we are sort of watching what ben does before saying anything.

these XL100's arent easy to make into laser's the circuitry is beyond basics. I wonder how he got it to work while still keeping the modes...

well all i gotta say, 10440 powering a 445 is kinda lame. you will get like what 10 minutes runtime at full power...

ahh ben, you gotta stop posting so much and READ more dude...you cant sell $200 lasers to people when you have to call me and ask me the pinout for a BDR-s06j and a lpc-826. i mean isnt that basic basic stuff????

@ T_J

The drivers work well with 1 18650 battery? Why not 3 10440 batteries in parallel?

I mean most Li-ion's have a 2C discharge rate right? even in parallel, wouldnt the driver be drawing a little too much for the 10440's to handle?

Last edited:
Its just the way the host is powered.

Jake you should know this. You had me second guessing myself for a second.

Edit: How much time do you think you'll get out of 3 AAA Steve?

Last edited:
Edit: How much time do you think you'll get out of 3 AAA Steve?

unless he buys the best damn 10440's in existence...then he will get no more than 3 minutes tops of full power. then the power will drop drastically to maybe 900mA output on the driver... how i know this, is because i tried...with a microboost... 3 trustfire 10440's 600mAH advertised, in reality only 450mAH, microboost set to 1200mA...

yea it didnt turn out well at all. The driver was very happy to push out 900-950mA for a bit, but at the full 1200mA i wanted...it wasnt doing full power for very long, flicker and stuff, and then the power just dropped with more flickering...

maybe it was my batteries...i dunno...i never tried 10440's with a 445 ever again.

not very long... the batteries will be stressed ALOT. I would guess that they will go bad in like 50 discharges or maybe less.

EDIT: ohh sorry T_J i kept thinking you were referring to li-ion cells...ben is using the alkaline AAA's???? WTF?? HAHAHAHA KABOOMM is how long they will last....alkaline AAA's can discharge 1AMP for like 20 seconds!!!! hahaha that made my day. I wil go to work now very very entertained by that fact.

to be honest here folks, i had advised him not to use 10440's...i dont know why he went that route, he said something about the battery compartment being weird and not able to take a single li-ion cell...I ran into a problem like that before, it was in a NEBO 3XAAA host, the negative and positive connections are all on the top of the battery compartment and contacts the driver via nubs... very weird...i just modded the holder to take a 18500 instead....after lots of dremel work and expoxy to hold crap together, it worked for me!

Last edited:
So you're saying AAA with blow up, and 10440s will not last long?

You're confusing the sh*t out of me Steve.

i was joking about the blowing up part...what im saying is that from what i experienced 10440's wont last any appreciable amount of time at 1.4A ouput from a boost driver. and alkalines wont even supply that much at all... drawing that much current from alkalines is probaly close to what a short circuit condition is for that battery. Now i dont know if it will actually explode, but its pushing it much much too far for safety. correct me if i am wrong here...but i remember reading on CPF some time ago, there was a member who tested current draws from various battery types, and alkalines were not happy to deliver 1C discharges...even NIMH's have huge voltage sags when discharging at 1C.

Maybe that's why the laser is secret?

Ben are you planning to bomb us into oblivion with exploding batteries:D

well heres the calculated data...corrected me if im wrong here.

(ahh T_J...making me do math so early!! )

the output ben is having is 1.4A or so (to hit 1.3W) 1.4A at 4.8V is about 6.7W output now lets say the driver is 80% efficient, that means its going to draw about 8W from the battery, now alkalines voltage will sag immediately with such high draws, so lets say each alkaline sags to about 1.3V which is a generous estimate, running in parallel, you would need over 6A draw from those alkalines, divided by the 3 its still 2.1A draw from each alkaline AAA....thats pretty much sort circuit condition right there...

with 10440's its still about 750mA draw on each of them, which will cause the voltage to sag after a few minutes to about 3.7 which will then increase the current draw to over 800mA... and so you get the idea... thats massive heat for such a small battery, im sure they wont last long if they are pushed like that all the time.

anselm

AAA or 10440 powered >1W lasers are a fail after 5-10minutes, thats for sure.
I can't be too hard to mod the battery compartment to accept 18650s or 18500....

Soooooo you're saying I was correct to say that 10440s in parallel are better than 3 AAAs? :whistle::D

But we all agree neither are OK in this build.