Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tonight and lasers !!!! Fireworks

No fireworks here today or tonight...but we do have plenty of smoke already.

I live in Goleta, CA, just a few miles from the Gap Fire. I did get a laser out the other night, but haven't bothered with them since.

Enjoy the 4th, set off some sparklers for me. But I highly recommend you don't start any brush fires. ;)

It looks like it's fixing to rain here tonight....but unless it's a downpour that won't stop the illegals from going at it with their displays down the road and over the hill. Here in Maryland only sparklers and what they call "ground-based" fireworks are legal. However, some of these bootleg displays are quite nice - I usually pull up a chair and sit in my front yard and watch. Sure beats fighting hours of traffic to go to one of the legit displays.

But either way - unless it's a downpour - I'm going to fire off some of my lasers tonight. Every 5th household puts on a display around here and I will too...I can't yet make a white laser but I do have red and blue. I really want so bad to fire up my new multi-line argon laser but I'd have to rig up my shop vac to provide cooling for it - not sure I feel like doing that, though. Might just wait until the power supply for the cooling fan arrives - should be here tomorrow, but it might not.

Most of the fireworks shell is rice hulls !!  Sometimes disted with meal powder to help ignite the stars.
I've spent about 5 hours helping load 840 3" shells for our fireworks on the lake.  These shells will go off in 16 seconds !!!  In front of 4's,  5's and a few 8's.
Mike

Razako

My lasers are charged and ready to go. Also I recently drove up to Wyoming and brought back a large stash of questionably legal fireworks.

iewed

styropyro said:
[quote author=daguin link=1215191060/0#10 date=1215193674][quote author=iewed link=1215191060/0#8 date=1215193345]Couldn't this be a potential hazard when the firework explodes? The laser could reflect off a shiny piece of shrapnel and shine in someone's eye.

There is virtually NO "metal" or shiny, reflective parts to fireworks (especially aerial pyrotechnics).  Outside of the "explosives", they are mostly cardboard, paper, and "clay".

Peace,
dave[/quote]
Technically fireworks are FULL of metal, but it is very fine power or in fine shavings.  :D

Iewed- There better not be any shrapnel coming from any fireworks you are using ;D[/quote]

Shrapnel wasn't the right word, I was staring at my Rainbow 6 Vegas game case while typing that and all I could think of were shrapnel grenades.

I never understood why people like fireworks so much, but I guess the same could be said for lasers.

I'm guessing that the Saturday/Sunday papers are going to be filled with fireworks mishaps. I remember a few years ago a little girl was at a church, watching fireworks, she was a good 80 yards away when a bottle rocket came flying and hit her in the eye, needless to say she lost the eye.

Hemlock Mike said:
Most of the fireworks shell is rice hulls !!  Sometimes disted with meal powder to help ignite the stars.
I've spent about 5 hours helping load 840 3" shells for our fireworks on the lake.  These shells will go off in 16 seconds !!!  In front of 4's,  5's and a few 8's.
Mike
i hope your going to get a video of this

daguin

styropyro said:
[quote author=daguin link=1215191060/0#10 date=1215193674][quote author=iewed link=1215191060/0#8 date=1215193345]Couldn't this be a potential hazard when the firework explodes? The laser could reflect off a shiny piece of shrapnel and shine in someone's eye.
There is virtually NO "metal" or shiny, reflective parts to fireworks (especially aerial pyrotechnics). Outside of the "explosives", they are mostly cardboard, paper, and "clay".[/quote]

Technically fireworks are FULL of metal, but it is very fine power or in fine shavings. :D[/quote]

That's why "metal" is in quotation marks and I qualified it with the word virtually. There is no metal that could cause the problem articulated in the posting.

Peace,
dave

it's a very foggy 4th of july here, natural fog combined with firework smoke makes for some impressive photon displays ;)

here's my Spiderfire Cree R2 LED flashlight :D
Click Image to Enlarge

I'll set up some laser stuff in a bit

MarioMaster said:
it's a very foggy 4th of july here, natural fog combined with firework smoke makes for some impressive photon displays  ;)

here's my Spiderfire Cree R2 LED flashlight  :D
Click Image to Enlarge

I'll set up some laser stuff in a bit
wow you can see the beam of the flashlight. very impressive :eek:

that's what happens when you have 240 lumens coming out of the business end ;)

Kenom

well, I literally had the police flocking around me again this year. Not just to see my cool lasers but also to see my brand new "900" lumen P7 flashlight. I think I'll have a few sales this year just from law enforcement. LOL. It's not truly putting out 900 lumens that's just the manufacturer's rating. However it is easily putting out 400 lumens. Very impressive show here in laurel (local town that boasts the "largest" firework display in the midwest.) they shot off a total of 12,000 mortars in about 45 minutes. the "V.I.P." area was literally showered with sparks twice. guess it doesn't always pay to be IMPORTANT. LOL

I didn't use my lasers much for the show effect, I was using them the light fireworks! It sure beats having a sore/burnt thumb in the morning from lighting a lighter so many times.

ixfd64

I lit a few smoke bombs last night and shined my laser through the smoke, and, boy, it was bright!

Reading this thread makes me depressed. If they ban sparklers over here on the underside of the world I'm going to be pissed. It's the only thing in the way of explosives/bombs that I have.

Nooo!! Not our sparklers!!! Nooo!!! :'( :'(

Sparkler bombs ftw!

I remember back ages ago when I was in Grade 6, me and some friends were doing a project on volcanoes. We decided to do a practical, demonstration type thing. Guess what the volcano was :cool: :cool:

Murudai said:
Nooo!! Not our sparklers!!! Nooo!!! :'( :'(

Sparkler bombs ftw!

I remember back ages ago when I was in Grade 6, me and some friends were doing a project on volcanoes. We decided to do a practical, demonstration type thing. Guess what the volcano was :cool: :cool:

Awesome. I got 250 sparklers sitting up in my room right now. How do you do them? Some people like to tie them together, me I like to crush 'em, throw away the wire, and put them into a plastic container (which liquifies)

Is fireworks fuse legal in Australia? Just the fuse?