Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thoughts on my design

There is a mod that can make that happen. 94Z28nm had a custom job done.

AFAIK mods can't change titles anymore, only c0ld has that power now. :bowdown:

@Benm, I think Solomon Laser said he'll be putting a pattern on the surface and painting it, might be interesting to see how that turns out.

BobMc

Looks like it could be promising as a little pocket burner?? How is the contact board set up. Is there a place for the driver or does it get attached to the diode? More pics please, and some of it dismantled.

Ok.

More info to come soon, I have videos and pics... but it is a pain to format these for LPF...

Yes, a pocket host, it is only 10mm longer than a 18650 battery and about the same dia. It will handle heat excellent and be 2 watts. But it can only handle a few drivers because of the size. It is designed mainly for the 17mm circular drivers, the one designed and made by laser lands.

Hosts will be of a reasonable price, I am open to offering anyone extreme discounts if they can help with a few small things :) Such as helping me determine the market size on this forum... I can sell the hosts for much less if I can do them in bigger batches

"The ultimate goal is to make a host this size that can power 3-5watts with a good duty cycle do to superconductors." ??

An Arizona guy with a photo that has a Chinese phone number?

Chinese phone number huh??? strange it should be a 520 area code

Nice Laser concept and Idea, specially the aluminium with holes pattern to expose a bit of the copper.

One thing that I have to say, sometimes for pocket things is much better to be thin but a bit longer, than short but fatter. Just IMO, though.

You could do 14500, 18350 and 10440 battery tubes, keeping identical the heatsink area, but with different thicknesses in the battery section depending on the option chosen. And they are much bettet than the CR2, providing higher voltage, instead of the CR2 driver you could make a 3.7-4.2V input driver for all, so driver could keep being the same.

Anyway, great job, looking forward to seeing some finished ones!

A.

Encap

Ok.

More info to come soon, I have videos and pics... but it is a pain to format these for LPF...

Yes, a pocket host, it is only 10mm longer than a 18650 battery and about the same dia. It will handle heat excellent and be 2 watts. But it can only handle a few drivers because of the size. It is designed mainly for the 17mm circular drivers, the one designed and made by laser lands.

Hosts will be of a reasonable price, I am open to offering anyone extreme discounts if they can help with a few small things :) Such as helping me determine the market size on this forum... I can sell the hosts for much less if I can do them in bigger batches

Are you just trolling the forum or what, "jack of all trades engineer" ? Bigger batches? :crackup:

Your entire approach is very high school--not at all professional and certainly not an engineer's approach--engineer's don't post idiotic boasts and make believe to potential customers, especially those who know better.

If not a troll, here is a hint: Give it a rest and get back to us when you have something real to offer instead of a playing a child's game/joke, marketing make believe to LPF members--would be a start. Second step would be for one of the better builders on LPF to build one, review, evaluate, and post all details of and about the build on LPF.

There is no market size on this forum for daydreamers daydreams and meaningless marketing drivel.
Even if you had a finished and acceptable item that had been assembled, evaluated, and fully reviewed and reported here on LPF, I doubt you would sell more than handful of them even at close to cost.

Photos of something real in the real world are necessary, and all details about same to be able to evaluate or consider what you are attempting to market without any of same.

So far, you have not contributed anything to any thread on LPF, you have no ability to make a host, you have never assembled a diode laser in any host, there are no real details about anything except you want to troll the forum members for money, you will give a discount which is meaningless, have no track record or credibility at all on LPF in anything to do with lasers or any business, wacky fantasy ideas due to lack of any knowledge of lasers, and daydreams of making money via LPF and it's members.

Last edited:
Hi ,
Small keychain type pen , copper core , Al host body . Nice host it’s been done before over and over. How about a brass or copper host copper sink and focus adapter.

Attachments

• 9386E882-DFBE-483B-AF0B-53F6F6511B2D.jpeg
    9386E882-DFBE-483B-AF0B-53F6F6511B2D.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 22
  • A247612A-1752-4523-B212-7A33C08CE92D.jpeg
    A247612A-1752-4523-B212-7A33C08CE92D.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 22
Hmm, I am a troll because I don't respond to people accusing me of being a troll. Maybe I am truly excited to share the process and steps.

Sucking money from LPF people, Encap I am sure you have realized these folks don't have much funds... do it your self type forums like this attract individuals who really like to work with their hands, and most of the time those individuals try to do things as cheaply, but smart as possible... logically this does not seem like a good place to scam. Have I asked for any pre-orders??

It is so easy to jump on bandwagons and accuse people when it is anonymous like this, psychoanalyze them, and apparently it is much fun... buts lets hold back huh..

Oh by the way I have G2 lenes for sale for $7 a piece, ... damn, I am good at sucking money away from our fellow comrades huh???

Last edited:
Hi ,
Small keychain type pen , copper core , Al host body . Nice host it’s been done before over and over. How about a brass or copper host copper sink and focus adapter.

Lifetime, I don't like all copper hosts, they are too heavy... and Sanwu has some great ones, would be hard to improve upon theirs. My heat sink is copper! And no, one of this size in 2W has not been done before, Jayrobs build is the closest, and a neat build by the way. Also, I plan it to be much less expensive than other hosts :)

Please remind me to give you one for review when they are available...there is a lot to remember, so I might need your reminder.

I do apologize it has taken this long, and I will give everyone a discount who has replied to this discussion. I will show the final design as soon as the casings are machined, then it will be a few week lead time install all of the components and the such

Cheers

Last edited:

BobMc

I got a thing for the little mini builds, so I have been, and we'll be paying attention. Still hoping the best for your endeavor. :)

Encap

Hmm, I am a troll because I don't respond to people accusing me of being a troll. Maybe I am truly excited to share the process and steps.

Sucking money from LPF people, Encap I am sure you have realized these folks don't have much funds... do it your self type forums like this attract individuals who really like to work with their hands, and most of the time those individuals try to do things as cheaply, but smart as possible... logically this does not seem like a good place to scam. Have I asked for any pre-orders??

It is so easy to jump on bandwagons and accuse people when it is anonymous like this, psychoanalyze them, and apparently it is much fun... buts lets hold back huh..

Oh by the way I have G2 lenes for sale for $7 a piece, ... damn, I am good at sucking money away from our fellow comrades huh???

What a pant load of meaningless troll nonsense/nothing just like every other post of yours. Are you 14 years old or 15 years old?

What LPF members have and don't have, what they are and are not, is another daydream of yours and nothing to do with reality of LPF or it's members. Keep insulting them and their abilities, knowledge, and experience--you are sure to go really far with the LPF crowd. :pop:

PS Anyone can buy G2 lenses all day long one at a time from laserlands/China at $5.88 w. free shipping and at much lower cost, for a quantity

Lifetime, I don't like all copper hosts, they are too heavy... and Sanwu has some great ones, would be hard to improve upon theirs. My heat sink is copper! And no, one of this size in 2W has not been done before, Jayrobs build is the closest, and a neat build by the way. Also, I plan it to be much less expensive than other hosts :)

Please remind me to give you one for review when they are available...there is a lot to remember, so I might need your reminder.

I do apologize it has taken this long, and I will give everyone a discount who has replied to this discussion. I will show the final design as soon as the casings are machined, then it will be a few week lead time install all of the components and the such
Cheers

Obviously, very clearly, you have never made or assembled any laser anything so... take your clown act with a grain of salt at least part of the time for a change.

"Will give everyone a discount"? Sounds like you are still trolling for money from LPF people to me, meaning any money, albeit in a backhanded way. It is the only thing that comes through in your posts beyond a daydream about a laser host you have never assembled or made and have no ability to make.

As I indicated before:
'Give it a rest and get back to us when you have something real to offer instead of a playing a child's game/joke, marketing make believe to LPF members.
So far, you have not contributed anything to any thread on LPF, you have no ability to make a host, you have never assembled a diode laser in any host, there are no real details about anything except you want to sell whatever it is the forum members, you will give a discount which is meaningless, have no track record or credibility at all on LPF in anything to do with lasers or any business, wacky fantasy ideas due to lack of any knowledge of lasers, and daydreams of making money via LPF and it's members."

PS In order to sell anything on LPF it must be posted in the "Buy, Sell, & Trade" subforum and there are rules about posting that must be followed, as follows:

"This board is now "moderated. That means that thread starters must be "approved" by a member of the admin team.
In order to start a thread, the member must now have 20 **laser related** posts and have a "positive" reputation (green squares).

Posts in the "Welcome" board and the "Off-Topic" board do not count
SPAMMING the boards with short, non-content related posts to reach 20 may lead to a ban
Anyone may reply to a thread already approved
NEW posters SHOULD read the sticky at the link below to see what your potential buyers are going to be looking for in your "For Sale" thread
Six Steps to Prevent You from Getting Scammed
Peace,
dave"
See: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/must-read-before-you-can-post-buy-sell-trade-board-74202.html

Last edited:
The title of the thread is "Thoughts on my design", and that's exactly what you're getting. I think you're going against what others are saying because you don't like it rather than using it as constructive feedback. If you're getting lots of negative feedback, clearly something is wrong.

If you want my opinion too, I agree with Encap and say come back when you have something tangible, then there will be interest. Otherwise, this is just a basic concept that anybody could've came up with.

Encap

The title of the thread is "Thoughts on my design", and that's exactly what you're getting. I think you're going against what others are saying because you don't like it rather than using it as constructive feedback. If you're getting lots of negative feedback, clearly something is wrong.

If you want my opinion too, I agree with Encap and say come back when you have something tangible, then there will be interest. Otherwise, this is just a basic concept that anybody could've came up with.

Exactly EP --nobody buys into exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention. and/or emotional puddles nor make believe except little children. That is why I asked about his age guessing 14 or 15--sounds very young-- junior high school at best.

Nothing with nothing is still nothing.

Last edited:
Encap, please let this thread proceed instead of trying to convince others of your viewpoints or positions of me. If you are right Encap, then in time that will be proved., but, you have given it far too little time and jumped to a conclusion.

So, the new design is similar to what I posted earlier, I would like to post a picture but I am quite proud of it and am afraid of it being copied, so I will wait until some units are being machined... but the new design is 10mm longer a total of 74mm in length. I don't think this will be a problem as this will allow the laser to be better balanced and handle heat better. I found the pure copper heat sink of 17mm dia by 22mm length to be just too heavy for this unit, and have added more aluminum in place of the copper. Copper obviously has a better conductivity, but, aluminum has a higher heat capacity (.5 instead of .2) and 1/3 the density. For heat transfer to air, which is what we are interested in, there is not much of a difference between copper and aluminum, surface area is the name of the game (newtons law of cooling). I have experimented extensively with a supper material that has a conductivity 4x that of copper... unfortunately there is no way to apply this material to a small laser design without sacrificing the waterproofing. This super material should work quite well for bigger builds with fins where it can be applied on like a tape.

So far I am trying to choose between two diodes, the osram 1.6w and the 2w M140. I certainly like the extra power of the M140 but the beam quality of the osram is absurd! With a culminating lens (not the cheap 3 glass layered ones) having a focal length of 11mm and an efficiency of 85% the beam travels much further than the M140, which is also much harder to find at wholesale.

What are everyone thoughts, would you be happy with the osram or even prefer it??