Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

THIS IS MADNESS - Mitsubishi 639nm 3W "Twin buster" Updated Output test

rhd

Re: THIS IS MADNESS - 635nm CW3.5 "Twin buster" Updated Video

I was going to say - I didn't think Nichia would go red. That didn't make sense. OP, did you get yours from Techhood, or elsewhere? If elsewhere, did they tell you it was Nichia?

My thoughts as well. I wonder if Mitsubishi holds patents of some variety preventing Nichia from doing reds? It seems like they would have long ago, and by the same token, it seems Nichia could easily dominate the entire diode market if they did reds.
btw: I have a sneaking suspicion he may work for "5pluslaser" :shhh:

Last edited:

DTR

Well be thankful it is not as we would be jumping through hoops with the distribution of them like the 520's and 445's. Mitsu has a much more open distribution policy and I would assume these will be much more wildly available to the hobbyist/projector community.:beer:

Also not sure how techood came up with the $499 price tag my inquires about this diode would have a retail price about 1/3 of that figure. Probably just realize they are the only ones offering them.

One of my suppliers that actually tested this diode told me they sent the samples back as the diode was pretty much unusable. As they described it the spec wavelength is figured @ 25C which requires aggressive active cooling to maintain the wavelength rating or it shoots up drastically and the current ratings are for pulse operation if powered with constant wattage temp would be even harder to control causing huge shifts in wavelength and power drops. They feel even if you could tame and combine the two beams the advantage of having a single higher power diode which is less optics would not be there as you would still be working with two beams same as if ran dual P73's or Oclaros with near the same power which there is already a simple method of combining and easier to maintain temperature.

Last edited:

First think I notice is that it is rated for 639nm.

Don't know what the uses for the diode could be. I guess it might be useful in laser projectors, if it could be tamed (especially if the "new" beam combining method works).
I'd much rather have a single die variation closer to 632nm.:D

Still, can't complain about technological advances!

Last edited:

First think I notice is that it is rated for 639nm.

Don't know what the uses for the diode could be. I guess it might be useful in laser projectors, if it could be tamed (especially if the "new" beam combining method works).
I'd much rather have a single die variation closer to 632nm.:D

Still, can't complain about technological advances!

It definitely could be used in projectors, though i don't know what "new" method you are talking about.

Well, I was thinking about this How to create super bright laser beams. (It's OK if I post the link, right?) Basically using a prism to combine different wavelengths like 635, 637, 639. If it has a little higher WL than a Mit's diode.
Come to think of it now though, 639nm is basically the same as 638nm:eek:. Soo, I don't know.:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Last edited:

Well, I was thinking about this How to create super bright laser beams. (It's OK if I post the link, right?) Basically using a prism to combine different wavelengths like 635, 637, 639. If it has a little higher WL than a Mit's diode.
Come to think of it now though, 639nm is basically the same as 638nm:eek:. Soo, I don't know.:thinking::thinking::thinking:

If you read a bit more into that thread, you will see just how incredibly difficult and impractical that method is.

Podo

My thoughts as well. I wonder if Mitsubishi holds patents of some variety preventing Nichia from doing reds? It seems like they would have long ago, and by the same token, it seems Nichia could easily dominate the entire diode market if they did reds.
btw: I have a sneaking suspicion he may work for "5pluslaser" :shhh:

You mean 35 laser: the workshop I mentioned several time? It's not like a employee relationship though.

I suggests ideas on their laser products to make it better and they provide me the stuff I want (like lenses from a cracked projector) and expander host for FREE.

btw I bought the diode with a cheaper price than the one on ebay, feel free to pm me if you want to buy one.

Edited: No I am not working for techhood either. Just a laser hobbyist.

Last edited:
Re: THIS IS MADNESS - 639nm 3W "Twin buster" Updated Output test

Ah. I did not mean to insinute anything rude or offensive :)
And how awesome that you have the opportunity to be a "consultant" for a laser manufacturer like that! Thats an opportunity many of us here wish we had :)

rhd

Re the concept of combining these two beams using wavelength multiplexing, I can't see how that would work with both emitters mounted on the same can. You wouldn't have independent temperature control and thus would have to rely on natural variation between the emitters (which there may not be much of)

Manufacturing concern:Mitsubishi(JAPAN)

Attachments

• 9mm635nm.jpg
    9mm635nm.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 9mm635nm-2.jpg
    9mm635nm-2.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 311

Well be thankful it is not as we would be jumping through hoops with the distribution of them like the 520's and 445's. Mitsu has a much more open distribution policy and I would assume these will be much more wildly available to the hobbyist/projector community.:beer:

Also not sure how techood came up with the $499 price tag my inquires about this diode would have a retail price about 1/3 of that figure. Probably just realize they are the only ones offering them.

One of my suppliers that actually tested this diode told me they sent the samples back as the diode was pretty much unusable. As they described it the spec wavelength is figured @ 25C which requires aggressive active cooling to maintain the wavelength rating or it shoots up drastically and the current ratings are for pulse operation if powered with constant wattage temp would be even harder to control causing huge shifts in wavelength and power drops. They feel even if you could tame and combine the two beams the advantage of having a single higher power diode which is less optics would not be there as you would still be working with two beams same as if ran dual P73's or Oclaros with near the same power which there is already a simple method of combining and easier to maintain temperature.

Well.....It might be possible to combine these beams.....Bounce mirror, Waveplate and PBS cube...somewhere downbeam where there exists enough physical separation between beams.....Meh.....after reading what DTR sez...
NAAAaaaahhhh !! Whada waste of quantum wells !!! A "conjoined two headed Red Godzilla" !!! Progress....yes.....some......but not applicable for HH or projector use....not really ....not in my book !!!

Too Bad !!!:yabbmad::yabbmad::yabbmad:

Last edited:
I actually like that the beams aren't combined. However, divergence is horrendous :eek:, can they even call it a laser?!