Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

These are the Laws I think should be in place for lasers in the US

Those potato guns can be pretty nasty.:eg:
The next thing you know they are going to want you to get a license to fart, due to toxic emisions (SBD'S).:whistle:

No more beans for you!

What do you mean "next thing", they are already trying to do that. Seriously!!

Its called the Carbon Tax, and emissions from livestock (cattle, etc.) farts are part of the bill. Seriously!!

If they thought of a cow fart needing to be taxed, then you can bet your butt they included human farts as part of it as well, just in a different context, or in a back door kind of way.

Last edited:

In addition, because the hobby is not entirely a mainstream one it would be hard to set up enough licensed "laser education" classes to be within close enough proximity to everyone that may need to pass that hurdle.

It seems actually that laser misuse is actually extremely rare compared to things like drunk driving bar fights etc. and that things which are really uncommon such as idiots pointing at planes often make the front page news unfortunately. The media sure likes a new fresh fearmongering story we can ALL jump on it seems. It is scary though that because lasers aren't that mainstream it would be easier for them to be banned as I doubt there are any major lobbying groups that would be powerful enough or have the money to pressure congress for our rights to continue to enjoy our hobby.

Maybe we need a NLA. National Laser Association!

Last edited:
Look guy's I just want this great hobby not to be banned, I do not plan on going to congress with these idea's. I just thought of them because I thought it would be good idea maybe when/if the laser hobby gets mainstream these idea's may be necessary or not it all depends on who is in the hobby I mean RC planes is a hobby but you do not see people putting machine guns on them and crashing them into things then RC planes would be restricted/banned. I made this thread out of concern because I think lasers might go the same way as fireworks, heavily restricted due to some kids blowing their hands off. I love fireworks :eg: but in order to obtain them I would need to drive 3+ hours away due to laws put in place because of people hurting themselves in the past.

Kind of sounds like Gun control all over again........How did that work out?:gun:

Kept the government out, don't invite them in anything; they'll just tax the heck out of it and over regulate it. :scowl:

Look guy's I just want this great hobby not to be banned, I do not plan on going to congress with these idea's. I just thought of them because I thought it would be good idea maybe when/if the laser hobby gets mainstream these idea's may be necessary or not it all depends on who is in the hobby I mean RC planes is a hobby but you do not see people putting machine guns on them and crashing them into things then RC planes would be restricted/banned. I made this thread out of concern because I think lasers might go the same way as fireworks, heavily restricted due to some kids blowing their hands off. I love fireworks :eg: but in order to obtain them I would need to drive 3+ hours away due to laws put in place because of people hurting themselves in the past.

I am in to RC planes, and they are trying to do the very things we are talking about to us RC'ers already. Have been for years. They are trying to restrict the hell out of us.

You remember the guy not too long ago, who built 2 RC jets and "supposedly" put 10lbs of explosives on board to supposedly fly them into the pentagon and whitehouse. Well, that entire ordeal was a CIA setup to try to convince the general public that RC planes should be regulated, and that anyone flying one should be reported to the DHLS as suspected terrorist activity. VERY TRUE!!!!

When they throw these things out on TV and the major media sites, it sets a precedent so when people see these things, it immediately throws a red flag in their mind, whether they realize it or not. It en-stows fear in the minds of the people that get sucked in to it, which causes them to want to seek some sort of comfort from the people telling them its a bad thing by going and ratting on people for no rational reason.

Lase

You remember the guy not too long ago, who built 2 RC jets and "supposedly" put 10lbs of explosives on board to supposedly fly them into the pentagon and whitehouse. Well, that entire ordeal was a CIA setup to try to convince the general public that RC planes should be regulated, and that anyone flying one should be reported to the DHLS as suspected terrorist activity. VERY TRUE!!!!

So the CIA started shining lasers at planes?

I'm actually on the fence about this one. On one hand stricter regulations would cut down the number of idiots with access to lasers without having to do some kind of safety course.

On the other, stricter regulations would make it more difficult for us responsible hobbiests to get out hands on everything to do with lasers. Once it's regulated you can bet it'd get harder to buy everything (diodes, drivers, lenses)

Don't give your states government any ideas about regulating lasers, it'll seem like too much hard work and banning becomes the lazy/easy/cheap option for them.

Lase

You want to know what kind of laws I think should be on the books here in the US? None aside from those governing pointing lasers at aircraft/people.

There are no regulations concerning laser possession and display in Canada, and we've all seen what a huge safety problem lasers have become there.. there are also no laws regarding lasers in MANY other countries.. and again, we've all seen what a safety problem lasers have become globally. Aside from aircraft incidents there is no problem, only a few *very* isolated incidents of injury.

There are safety risks associated with lasers, just like there are with swimming, contact sports, etc.. that much is true, but frankly I'm tired of people acting like lasers are the same as firearms and should be regulated the same way, with age limits, criminal record checks, exams, licensing/certification etc.. Give me a break. Just more pointless legislation that exists for no good reason other than making people who use lasers feel special. Bah.

/rant

Last edited:
So the CIA started shining lasers at planes?

I'm actually on the fence about this one. On one hand stricter regulations would cut down the number of idiots with access to lasers without having to do some kind of safety course.

On the other, stricter regulations would make it more difficult for us responsible hobbiests to get out hands on everything to do with lasers. Once it's regulated you can bet it'd get harder to buy everything (diodes, drivers, lenses)

Don't give your states government any ideas about regulating lasers, it'll seem like too much hard work and banning becomes the lazy/easy/cheap option for them.

Lase

No, they didnt point lasers at planes. They simply set up this ploy to put RC airplanes on the publics radar as potential terrorist weapons. Lasers were not involved. I just stated that as an example in reply to brendon7358

BTW, has gun regulation prevented them getting in the hands of irresponsible adult, and children as well? NO!! If anything it has made it easier. Regulation would do nothing.

I dont even know why were even talking about this. The only time regulation should be mentioned in context with lasers is in voltage/current regulation. Thats the only regulation we need with lasers.

Last edited:

Lase

No, they didnt point lasers at planes. They simply set up this ploy to put RC airplanes on the publics radar as potential terrorist weapons. Lasers were not involved. I just stated that as an example in reply to brendon7358

BTW, has gun regulation prevented them getting in the hands of irresponsible adult, and children as well? NO!! If anything it has made it easier. Regulation would do nothing.

I dont even know why were even talking about this. The only time regulation should be mentioned in context with lasers is in voltage/current regulation. Thats the only regulation we need with lasers.

I was joking about the laser thing.

No gun regulation hasn't stopped the idiots from getting them. But it has made it so they at least need to learn a little safety first (well at least here it does, I'm not sure how any other country works).

Why are we talking about this? Because some countries have already started looking at regulation/banning of laser products (including parts). Brendon7358 obviously wanted to try to suggest something that would satisfy the governments want to regulate, but that wouldn't make it near impossible to still have access to such things.

I agree with that, but I don't agree with approaching his local government with 'suggestions' about their stance on lasers.

Lase

You want to know what kind of laws I think should be on the books here in the US? None aside from those governing pointing lasers at aircraft/people.

There are no regulations concerning laser possession and display in Canada, and we've all seen what a huge safety problem lasers have become there.. there are also no laws regarding lasers in MANY other countries.. and again, we've all seen what a safety problem lasers have become globally. Aside from aircraft incidents there is no problem, only a few *very* isolated incidents of injury.

There are safety risks associated with lasers, just like there are with swimming, contact sports, etc.. that much is true, but frankly I'm tired of people acting like lasers are the same as firearms and should be regulated the same way, with age limits, criminal record checks, exams, licensing/certification etc.. Give me a break. Just more pointless legislation that exists for no good reason other than making people who use lasers feel special. Bah.

/rant

The sad thing is, there are already laws for dealing with the retarded misuse of lasers.

If someone is shining a laser at another person, against their will, how is that NOT aggravated assault?:banghead:

There are already very very high civil fines for shooting a laser an an aircraft, and federal charges which can be brought against people.

I'll keep preaching the same thing as always... education, not regulation.

I think there should be a lazer tzar. NOT! I don't want any more government intrusion into my life. You can't legislate intelligence and age is not a factor.

Glenn

I'm not really seeing any qualitative differences between a 5-100mW and 100-whatever mW laser in terms of real danger. There is a difference between class 3b and class 4 because of burn and reflective eye danger; however, as far as regulating not all that much. If there are to be restrictions it'd probably should be anything > laser pointer status (Class 3b or above).

Even so, what are you going to do when someone rips open their DVD-RW and makes a laser from that? Or is this to prevent importation or selling of high-powered lasers without FDA approval, which is already illegal?

For the most part I think we could cut down on the number of douchebag incidents by just making sure it is harder to import cheapo higher-powered lasers from China, and shutting down resellers like Wicked Lasers. For everything else, it's a legal laser, and expensive to buy, and/or takes more effort to build yourself. I'm not too worried about the DIY laser crowd, but rather the "I wanna powerful laser to show off to my friends duuuuhh lol" douchebag crowd.

2. Any laser <100mw can be imported/owned by anyone over the age of 13 as long as they have taken a laser safety class*
3. Any laser <500mw
can be imported/owned by anyone over the age of 15 as long as they have taken a laser safety class* and have no criminal record

god no r u mad?

Everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions. Do something stupid, you pay the consequences. More laws will never stop stupid.

ha this would just be another law I ignore, I think no restriction and a huge penalty for hurting someone with it would be ok, as far as criminal record, no criminal record is a bit to restrictive, a felon perhaps, but I got a fine for walking my dog don't take my lasers for that :p

One way or another this will keep coming up though, as technology lets us do more and more, one day I think we will class things by technology level and restrict some from using or owning past a certain level. Think of what the geeks and tech crew will be making in their garage in 20 years a photonic disruptor using gamma rays,or a fusion power cell with a diy magnetic confinement, scarrrrry