Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The time has come for $250 Direct green diodes

I contacted Laser66 last week about prices. Just wingin it here, I expected to be shut down with a 4 digit price. However, at 11:08am this morning, I received a very wonderful email from Will:

"Sean:

We are primarily shipping the <515nm devices. There have been production delays, but we are expecting to restock next week. The above devices are $250 with a value added feature added for sale: lens/ housing, and / or driver.
With production yields increasing, with higher wavelengths dominating, there is a shift towards higher wavelength devices. Prior to this, the > 515nm devices were nearly 5X the cost of the other parts. This is obviously changing for the better with lower costs for the highly desirable wavelengths.

I'd like to discuss your situation over the phone, so we understand your needs. Can you include your telephone number?

Will Roberts, Owner"

We discussed things further, and after exchanging a few emails, I found out he is apparently getting a shipment next week of these <515nm diodes, and they will in fact be for sale for $250 Now that price is no big deal for those avid wavelength hunters. As it is we pay 2-4 times that for high end 473 and 589/593, and for some "50mW single mode diode that will make nice beams" that is AMAZING. So, get your PMs and emails sent (sorry Will :na:) Also, I was given full permission to post this (I figured it might cause some issues if prices weren't final or something) but he did give permission to post this. So good luck with your 50mW direct green builds folks! I can't wait to start mine in a few months :)

Last edited:

Blord

Re: The time has come for $250 Direct green didoes

That is good news. The price of direct green diode has fallen to more "affordable" price.
Let me get this straight, the <515nm are cheaper than their >515nm counterparts ? Is that because the industry consider them as "failure" or unwanted wavelength ?

That is good news. The price of direct green diode has fallen to more "affordable" price.
Let me get this straight, the <515nm are cheaper than their >515nm counterparts ? Is that because the industry consider them as "failure" or unwanted wavelength ?

I guess it's more desired to get closer to peak (555) for projectors, and the process is different. IIRC the parts are the same, the process is just different. That being said, I am not to the one to ask about this, that is just regurgitation from another thread that I barely remember. However, to answer your question, yes, they are. I think these are more of a stepping stool, however, you wouldn't expect them to keep making stepping stools at the same height, so either supplies will run dry quickly, or these will serve a purpose elsewhere beyond simple enthusiast intentions.

More info:

"The (only) catch is 1) I'm trying to support companies waiting for development of products, 2) keeping stock here with all demands, 3) I have to sell the diode with some value added feature added: housing, lens, driver, etc. I can't just sell the raw diode.

Nice talking to you too.

Will"

Last edited:

AnthoT

Great news! Just hope I can still afford one :crackup: but I'll be saving up for these. These take around 8V at 200mA right?
:D
-Anthony

Great news! Just hope I can still afford one :crackup: but I'll be saving up for these. These take around 8V at 200mA right?
:D
-Anthony

I'm unsure as to voltage and current for these buggers (they're also 3.8mm.) that being said, RHD could help you on that, and if you could, ask him to post his info here so others can see :)

I just sent Will an email asking how I go about ordering, what it comes with, etc. :D Hopefully I'll be getting one of these soon.

I just sent Will an email asking how I go about ordering, what it comes with, etc. :D Hopefully I'll be getting one of these soon.

Good luck mate :) I have a plan to put one of these in a mirror polished Kryton smooth. The new with the old, and lookin good. POST THE BUILD WITH PICS PLEASE!!!

Grix

Group buy? Prices should fall steeply with larger order quantities.

I'll bring it up with Will :) and post his replies here :)

Tonga

Wow, this is good news!!

Are the new ones Single Mode or Multi Mode LDs...:thinking:
A Spec sheet and Pic of the actual LD and some
value added features
would be nice...

Jerry

3.8mm 50mw single mode (according to him.) The features he's referring to are lenses, drivers, etc. He has to sell them with something,

EDIT: Request for spec sheet sent

(Pic from laser66.com)
3XLD.jpg

Last edited:

Blord

The diodes don't look like 3.8mm...
I have seen 450nm 3.8mm diodes and they are much smaller.

Not my pic !

3.8mm 50mw single mode (according to him.) The features he's referring to are lenses, drivers, etc. He has to sell them with something,

EDIT: Request for spec sheet sent

(Pic from laser66.com)

Not my pic !

It's on your website so I said from laser66.com, the website.

The diodes don't look like 3.8mm...
I have seen 450nm 3.8mm diodes and they are much smaller.

Well, keep in mind it's a large picture, and there are no TO18's next to them for comparison. However, it might just be a pic of any generic diode, I assumed it's the greens because it's on the green diode page.

Last edited:

Hiemal

Yeah, I'd be pretty damn interested in a group buy too... Do want! :drool: