Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The thread about "real" goggles/glasses. . .

I dunno if i should post this here...but OD 7 for a 1W 445nm laser wouldnt make you just see almost nothing?? Well, our eyes are kinda sensitive, but imagine you'd have a 1W laser and a rated OD 7 at that wavelength, so:
1W/(10^7)=0.1uW... That would mean you could stare at the beam (not that you should even try it...JUST DONT!!)

wouldnt OD 3 for 1W just be enough...and you would see the beam/dot/everything better, or am i wrong??
(OD3 for 1W laser would get you around 1mW through)

Dunno if i should get this question here or in any other place...because i need to buy googles now, and 80€ or much more for a rated OD5 or 6 for 445 seems too much...but i guess its hard to get a rated OD3 glasses...or if they exist they were made for other wavelengths and OD3 at 455 is just a remnant of the filtering, so they would still be expensive...

I know my vision is priceless...but the glasses that are sold out there are for Labs where they use lasers at the KW and MW range and require OD7

Ill try to ask at my Uni at the Laser lab if they got any spare googles with specs and if they let me keep them:evil:

Last edited:

0.1uW is still visible, but the fluorescence that nearly any surface has will be much more powerfull, so you won't have a problem seeing the dot on a surface. Take a look at the AL3 filter from NoIR, oem laser systems sell those too.

Last edited:
and why not this ones Googles for UV to 530nm OD7+? Its just $4 more and instead of 18%VLT its 48% VLT with ~OD7.5 for 445nm...And i think im goin to get those...altough im in Europe, European brands are kind of expensive...like 80€...and $78 is 56€...i will just check how much would it be to ship them to Portugal.

Last edited:

MrDave

I have the laserglow OD7 ones that were for a 10 dollar discount or somthing when 445s first came on the scene in this forum. Are those any good?

I have the style 35 and I must say DONT GET THE STYLE 35 there is light leaking all around the edges when I use it and i have had to make foam pads to block it, also light comes from my nose as well

get the style 60 or 700 or 900 they should be much better at blocking all the light from all angles

I can see the dot or "line" as it is with these diodes just fine, in fact if I take off the lens and its just a huge rectangle I can still see it but its really dim - if I unfocus the lens I can see it at distance

what I can say for sure is that more so then any other color or laser I have seen while using glasses to protect you from said laser, this one using these glasses is the most visible, it looks like a huge orange rectangle even at far distances when I am holding the laser and its pointing on my white fence in my backyard at about 50 meters away I can still see it no problem

I have the OD7 ones that everyone is using - I want to build another laser that is much less powerful and probably will get the lower OD glasses for that one - no discount for members, I even life about 1 hour from the company and I didnt even get a discount on shipping, lol

I have the style 35 and I must say DONT GET THE STYLE 35 there is light leaking all around the edges when I use it and i have had to make foam pads to block it, also light comes from my nose as well

get the style 60 or 700 or 900 they should be much better at blocking all the light from all angles

I can see the dot or "line" as it is with these diodes just fine, in fact if I take off the lens and its just a huge rectangle I can still see it but its really dim - if I unfocus the lens I can see it at distance

what I can say for sure is that more so then any other color or laser I have seen while using glasses to protect you from said laser, this one using these glasses is the most visible, it looks like a huge orange rectangle even at far distances when I am holding the laser and its pointing on my white fence in my backyard at about 50 meters away I can still see it no problem

I have the OD7 ones that everyone is using - I want to build another laser that is much less powerful and probably will get the lower OD glasses for that one - no discount for members, I even life about 1 hour from the company and I didnt even get a discount on shipping, lol

To whom are you referring?

another question I just thought of, now this might sound stupid but you never know

does closing your eyes, if they are already closed like you are letting someone use the laser and your only pair of glasses, if your eyes are already closed are you protected?

sounds stupid but most people dont know that laser light is treated differently by your retina then any other kind of light - its focused into a small spot according to a eye doctor I went to see about getting some foam pads for glasses for thses style 35 ones I have - even a blue spark from a welder even if the same 445nm isnt focused into a pin point by your retina

I consider myself a newbie to lasers. I've been browsing the forum for almost a year and built some small lasers. Now I'm ready for something bigger. I've ordered stuff to assemble a 1.5~2W 445nm laser. I am wanting to be safe so I've been reading what you experienced experts have to say.

Most of the links on the forum for safety glasses are old. I'm not sure what is current for standards or pricing.
I want to get the right protection but I'm not needing excessive comfort or style since I will not be using my laser often. I see lots of places selling glasses and goggles for $10 to $20 that are listed as proper protection. I've also seen what appears to be the same thing being sold for 10 times the price. Is there a way to test them once I have them?
My eyes are priceless so I want to protect them.

I ordered some 190nm to 540nm OD+5 glasses but want to know what kind of protection this will be. If I need something better I'd like to get it before I assemble my laser.

NOT THAT I WOULD EVER TRY, Will OD+5 protect from a direct exposure at this power?

OD5 would be a high enough OD, that won't be a problem. The question is are your glasses actually OD5 and can they withstand a direct hit? Certified laser safety eyewear guarantees this, cheap chinese stuff can vary a lot in quality and protection.

I'd recommend certified laser safety glasses, be carefull with the fake CE certification of chinese manufactors. A cheaper option are the glasses that are not certified but known to work, names like survivallasers and dragon lasers usually come up.

Bluefan, Thank you.
Googling it I found THESE and THESE. Do they look like what you are talking about? They only have OD+4 for what I'm needing (445nm and 532nm), is that strong enough?

I received my glasses, I am shocked at the poor quality of manufacturing. I don't trust them to work any better than they look. Waste of $30! They look identical to some of the $10 junk on ebay.

Those two are popular here on the forum. I haven't got them myself, I only have certified laser glasses which are usually more expensive.

maoshe

i am using these glasses with my 445nm 1w laser:
Infield Terminator Orange UV-400
while wearing, i can just see a dot as bright as a 5mW laser, since the block 400nm to 490nm
for ~25€ they are very cheap

Last edited: