Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The REAL Kryton GB round #3. Taking payments now.

Thanks for being honest Kenom.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can be patient. With the holidays coming up, I'd have likely sat on all my Kryton parts until January or February anyway.

Since I have already paid for my entire order, it means that well over 10% of that "lost" money is mine. I would like an answer at to a couple questions.

Is the Beast going to happen, or are we getting a refund (that was not answered clearly)?

Second, if no on the beast, I would like a more definitive answer on the when.

Finally, I might consider a couple more grooves to be swapped in place of PART of the money owed me if they end up being useable after the issues with threads.

I wouldn't believe any of this new story until I saw hard evidence to prove otherwise. A police report, for example, would be nice.

In the meantime I am uploading a video to youtube showing 18 Groove hosts threading together perfectly fine. I show some nice closeups of the burrs that Ken was originally blaming the threading problem on, and as you can clearly see in the video the burrs don't cause any issues at all.
As I previously said the head's threads were cut a lot tighter than the tailcap's threads. That is exactly why the heads will thread into the tailcap but the tailcap won't thread into the head. Since these grooves were designed to use a focus adapter I had to tighten the threads up so I could be certain that turning the focus adapter would only focus the laser, not thread the entire head off.
If it would please the group I'll take a few hosts to work and polish them on a wheel with some jewelers rouge just to prove my point, that there is nothing at all wrong with the threads on the head.

It just seems like excuse after excuse to me, and for some reason Ken decided to use me as a patsy for one of his excuses and I do not appreciate it at all.

As far as the beasts go, I will have nothing to do with them or any other business with Ken.

The video is showing 167 minutes left to upload, I'll post the link to the video in it's 1080 HD glory as soon as it's finished.

Edit: Here's the link, be sure to watch in HD so you can see all of the detail. The video is still processing right now, but it should be good in a few minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-cV2Wi7EOw

Last edited:
The video is up, and I just noticed that there are 19 grooves in the video not 18. The last one is in its "finished" trim, with a 20mm O-Ring fitted to the head.

Thanks for posting that video Pontiacg5!!!

It is really exciting to see groove hosts and someone handling them...
(I saw the previous video you put out showing the grooves completed)
Just can't wait to get mine!!!

So if they are fine at your end, something must have happened inbetween
(during shipping from you to ken) for them to be messed up.

I just hope this all gets figured out as soon as it possibly can.

Last edited:
thanks for taking the time to make that video Pontiacg5.

They do seem pretty fine and nicely machined, and i doubt that those small burrs would affect the threading, some time ago i made something a bit like that but i had way worse burrs and verry rough thread cuttings and still it would screw together fine ( little squeeky though :p )

and buffing/polishing it shouldn't make it worse, if it would expand due to the heat of polishing it would shrink back when it gets cold again right?

and if the threadings got "out of shape" wouldnt it be bad to recut them with a tap/die?
wouldnt the old threadings and new threading cross each other at some point? wich would end up getting verry rough threadings?

im kinda scratching my head now :thinking:

i dont have any doubt in both of you,i just hope hope things will get sorted out soon.

I do wonder if there is a other reason behind this that can be solved...

Last edited:
Thanks for the vid there...nice to see them. So I'm sorry i'm a bit confused on which groves those are in the video? Are those your personal ones? If not, those seem fine and could be sent out right away. Have ALL the grooves some trouble with them? I know that I and a few others do not have the anodizing and I guess I'm wondering why those haven't gone out.
Thanks again for the video....nice to see what we will get sometime. :beer:

The Grooves in the video are my personal Grooves. These Grooves came from the same exact batch as the ones Ken has, so if these don't have a problem then the ones Ken has don't have a problem either.

Polishing the hosts would warm them up, which would cause the barrel and head to expand. The Barrel is thinner than the head, so I believe it would expand further than the head which would make the head thread on easier untill the thing cooled off. Either way, your talking expansion of a few fractions of a tenth at the most. As you can see in the video, the heads thread on with very little resistance, so a tenth or even a thou wouldn't cause the whole thing to not fit. The thought that heating the barrel/head up by polishing distorting the threads is ridiculous, I don't know how Ken is polishing these but I've polished other hosts I've made on a wheel and they heat up to the point that they are too hot to touch and they still thread together just fine.

Chasing threads with a tap and die never works on aluminum in my experience. Aluminum is way too soft, the threads always get torn to bits that way.

I can not think of anything at all that would happen in shipping that would leave the hosts physically undamaged on the outside yet mess up the threads on the inside only on the heads.

Thanks for the video and info Pontiacg5. I think it would be very useful information if you could take the time to polish one of the hosts in a similar way that Ken is doing to help figure out the problem.

At this point I bet most would probably take them unpolished. I would be interested in a brushed metal finish but I don't know if that would heat it up too or not. Anyone know how to get a brushed metal finish?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info StatiC, I'll email him!
^^^

Last edited: