Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Quest for an Australian Permit

Things

You'll get pics of it alright!! LOL. When I recieve my galvo's (End of this week apparently) I'll be making LOTS of pics and vids. Currently I am working on a DAC to run the thing.

Things

Funny little fact, but did u know there is a DAC sitting right infront of you when you use your computer? :p

Its called a sound card DAC, cheap as shit to build, and works great!

diachi

Oooh yeah I knew that, you can hook up the galvos to the sound card through a slighlty modified audio jack IIRC.

Things

Yeah, pretty much. You do need to modify the card abit though, but I think thats just mainly to bypass the filter caps. The hardest part is the TTL.

daguin

Things said:
Yes, but I am one of the people that actually trusts BlueFusion.

And just like Sebastion at the end of "The Never Ending Story", maybe he can rebuild Fantasia from that.

Peace,
dave

well nice work laze_doctor.

let's see if your optimism is rewarded

laze_doctor said:
Well I have an update. I never got a reply to my email, so today I gave the nsw firearms registry a call.

The woman I spoke to said that all you need to do (in order to apply for the B709B) is to send them details on the laser(s), your name dob address phone, and use for the laser. I emailed this info to a different address she gave me. I got the impression that it would be quite easy to get a B709B.

You can download the B710 from customs.gov.au, and after looking at it, I'm more inclined to believe that there will be no problem provided I have the B709B.

Anyway, at the moment this is looking quite hopeful. I'll keep you guys posted.

Attention: I recieved an email from the QLD police today.

Dear insertnameherelol,

Thank you for you enquiry dated 01/07/2008 regarding the importation of laser pointers.

The minimum age for a person wishing to obtain a B709 form is 18 years of age and must be a permanent resident of Queensland, so in turn this mean that any item requiring the issue of B709, regardless of what the item is, you would need to be of the minimum age to be considered.

Please be advised that if a B709 is issued to you, it is valid for one use only, for each shipment of items, you will need to complete an application for an import permit.

In relation to your enquiry concerning the B710, you will need to contact the Australian Customs Service in regards to your questions,

I have attached an application for an import permit (B709) for you convenience, these can be also be accessed from the Queensland Police website

If you should have any further enquiries do not hesitate to contact this branch.

(She spaced it out even more than that. Maybe she was high. She used dopey fonts at stupid sizes. Who knows.

Anyway, this is for QLD only. It may not apply in your state.
Anyone under 18, you're out of luck :(

Things

Where in QLD do you live? I live in QLD too, doesnt seem like it would be hard to get a permit ( Deffinately would for me, since im under 18 )

daguin said:
[quote author=Things link=1214925058/48#56 date=1215574111]Yes, but I am one of the people that actually trusts BlueFusion.

And just like Sebastion at the end of "The Never Ending Story", maybe he can rebuild Fantasia from that.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

I love that movie ;D

I could never figure out if that flying thing had scales or fur... I haven't watched it forever, but if I remember right it looked like he had a bit of both :-?

Things said:
Where in QLD do you live? I live in QLD too, doesnt seem like it would be hard to get a permit ( Deffinately would for me, since im under 18 )

Gold Coast. What about you?

Im under 18 aswell. Sucks ass, eh? The woman who emailed me back said you cant get one under 18 :(

So as of now I am offering anyone who successfully acquires a permit 20% of what I pay for a laser to import it LEGALLY for me
:cool:

(providing you are trustworthy)

Hey guys.

Sorry about bailing on this for a bit. I had a 5 day field trip for a Uni course, and packing and everything took up my time and I couldn't find time for this permit business.

But now that I'm back, I'll look in to it again since I have the time to actually do stuff (for like 2 days).

The worst that can happen is that they will say "no permit for you".
I'd just like to point out (if it already hasn't been), that if you're under 18 and you try to apply for a permit, they will reject it, and not only that, they will monitor ALL your incoming and outgoing imports for a year.

A good friend of mine told me that, as it happened to one of his friends; so just play it carefully.

But here's the kicker. Only "Hand-held laser pointers" are illegal to import. There's no law stating that parts to make a laser pointer are illegal. Only the completed pointers.

So you can easily just as well buy a Laser module or DVD Burner diode from a laser parts site, and the other needed parts, say from Dick Smith (electrical shop), and make something that would be effectively banned from importation if it was completed.

A good cover story to make things go more smoothly is to just state that if you're importing a DVD Burner laser diode, you can easily say it is a replacement for your DVD burner. There's no illegality in that.

That's my plan anyway, to import all the parts I need, (of course, cheap); and then buy a MagLite torch from eBay so I can make that MagLite laser hack.

So yeah, all in all, remember that thing when applying for a Permit...