Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Quest for an Australian Permit

devilsdome said:
The worst that can happen is that they will say "no permit for you".
I'd just like to point out (if it already hasn't been), that if you're under 18 and you try to apply for a permit, they will reject it, and not only that, they will monitor ALL your incoming and outgoing imports for a year.

A good friend of mine told me that, as it happened to one of his friends; so just play it carefully.

But here's the kicker. Only "Hand-held laser pointers" are illegal to import. There's no law stating that parts to make a laser pointer are illegal. Only the completed pointers.

So you can easily just as well buy a Laser module or DVD Burner diode from a laser parts site, and the other needed parts, say from Dick Smith (electrical shop), and make something that would be effectively banned from importation if it was completed.

A good cover story to make things go more smoothly is to just state that if you're importing a DVD Burner laser diode, you can easily say it is a replacement for your DVD burner. There's no illegality in that.

That's my plan anyway, to import all the parts I need, (of course, cheap); and then buy a MagLite torch from eBay so I can make that MagLite laser hack.

So yeah, all in all, remember that thing when applying for a Permit...

That is what I stated above, and why I emailed.
Also, I have already ordered a couple of parts for my pointer that Im going to be making.

That is what I stated above, and why I emailed.
Also, I have already ordered a couple of parts for my pointer that Im going to be making.

Sounds good. I've finally found an excellent use for any old dvd burners that I find! My dad has one that doesnt work anymore (the shelf doesn't slide out, so I don't think it's got anything to do with the diode, it's probably just jammed; So I'm going to ask if he still wants/needs it...

On a little side note....

I come from the land down under
(insert music here)
Where lasers are banned and I wonder
Will the cops, will the cops arrest me
Because lasers are my hobby
Quite a good lyrical change for that song....! I like it.

I just sent an email to the firearms registry about a permit. Lets see what email have to say.

I stated all the lasers that I have, including the RPL-300 (but I didn't put in my postal address or anything). I feeling confident here. I also stated that I am a laser hobbyist, and that I have been well before the laws came in to place (which is true) :)

Essentially I'm trying an all out honesty thing. Lets see where it goes :)

I stated all the lasers that I have, including the RPL-300 (but I didn't put in my postal address or anything). I feeling confident here. I also stated that I am a laser hobbyist, and that I have been well before the laws came in to place (which is true) Smiley

Essentially I'm trying an all out honesty thing. Lets see where it goes
Best of luck to you!

Apparently... Now this I read on the customs site (or somewhere thereoff), that the only people who will probably get an accepted permit are part of construction or are professional astronomers (meaning they can prove it). Not sure who else, etc.

But please keep us informed, I hope to hear what the outcome is!

:D

laze_doctor said:
You know, I actually support *regulation* of lasers -- so that people who misuse them can be tracked down. I'm not really too crash hot about underage folks owning lasers (just as I prefer not to have underage drivers on public roads).

Also I'd like to see the import permits being used to cut off the supply of unsafe lasers (read: ir-spewing ebay junk).

And if that is what this ban is about -- regulating lasers, just like cars and guns are regulated, then I really don't have a problem with it.

However if (as devilsdome suggested) they're only giving permits to people with a "recognized use" for them, then I have nothing but contempt for it. Any chance you could find that link devilsdome?

I agree with almost everything you said! The only part I'm a bit so-so on is the unsafe lasers. The main issue being that no laser is safe. Secondly, IR isn't much a safety concern when it comes to green lasers, as the green is going to be much more dangerous than any IR coming out. And, if we're not going to allow IR spewing lasers, where would that leave us with CO2 lasers or YAG lasers or any other purely IR laser out there? Nothing can make a laser safe except for the end user, so I think the law should focus more on safety equipment rather than the lasers themselves  :cool:

Razako

IMO if they kept DX/Ebaysers out of the hands of idiots they would eliminate 95% of all laser incidents. Whenever some dumbass shines them at a helicopter he's always using your typical newwish penlaser/ebayser/spymodex.
Generally people with enough money to buy a quality laser are intelligent enough to know that shining them at planes is a stupid idea.

However if (as devilsdome suggested) they're only giving permits to people with a "recognized use" for them, then I have nothing but contempt for it. Any chance you could find that link devilsdome?

Hey, yeah working on finding the link. It was on a news website, so it's legit. But what I have found is this:

High-powered hand lasers, including so-called "star pointers" used by astronomers, would be listed as prohibited weapons in New South Wales state with jail terms of up to 14 years for anyone carrying them without a permit.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idINIndia-33149920080421

So yeah some serious stuff there... Oh and I read somewhere else that it can also occur a $5000 fine for the same "offense" of carrying one, etc.

laze_doctor said:
Well it's official. Today's definitely one of those days...  :(  :'(

First some travel plans I had got screwed, and then I got this email:

Dear Mr [redacted],

I am unable to issue a B709B for this laser pointer at this stage.  We have been advised by our legal team that the issue is still pending.  We are awaiting legislation guidelines and as such until this matter is finalised we will not be able to issue you with a B709B to import this item.  

Once we have been issued with the required information we will advise you of the same.

Maybe they're genuinely going to get back to me, but I'm not feeling very optimistic.

Ouch. It sounds like they honestly don't know what they can and can't do yet, because this 'ban' was passed in such a hurry. Shoot first ask questions later, right?

Oh dear, I hope my 'honesty' thing won't blow back in my face...

"Dear Murudai,

Your lasers are illegal. We're tracking your IP as we speak to come and break your kneecaps and confiscate your lasers.

Have a nice day,
The Police"

That ain't happened yet, and I certainly hope it doesn't :(

Things

"You have an illegal laser, the cops are 5 minutes, 4 seconds and 23 milliseconds from your door."

:p

Sorry to be a pedantic pain in the butt here, but there are 2 "legal" issues being discussed in this thread, but only one of these relates to the new law.

Just to clarify, the new Commonwealth law is to do with regulating the importing of laser pointers. Whether or not you currently own a laser that is illegal depends on the legislation in the state you live in. So, I'm building rather than importing :cool:

LD, I'd lay money on them getting back to you - it just may not be some time soon. The problem law enforcement agencies have is that parliament writes the law and sets the penalties for breaches, but the agency has to come up with the policies to implement the law (or in this case, the exceptions) and in doing so try to find a balance between keeping the legislature and the customers (as far as possible) happy. They will be answerable to the government for their policy decisions, and possibly answerable in the Courts too.

Not that the above helps you any, it's just that when any new law of this kind is passed it may be a while before the agency knows what line it's going to take in the implementation.

We know that Eagle_1 :)

The thing is, to get an imports permit, you ALSO need to have a possessions permit in the state you are in. So obviously getting that possessions permit is the first step, and that's what I'm doing :) And then after that we can work on an imports permit :)

sigh i wish it were easy. :(

still if u get it i will apply for one when i turn 18

diachi

I have an idea murudai, why don't you get jack to turn the adjustment thing on your RPL-400 down to 1 or and put a 1mW sticker on it so it can pass customs ? :p

Diachi said:
I have an idea murudai, why don't you get jack to turn the adjustment thing on your RPL-400 down to 1 or and put a 1mW sticker on it so it can pass customs ?  :p

That may work...

Customs are incompetent but Im not sure if they are THAT incompetent. Theres only one way to find out...