Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The DTR le-adapter V1

Pman

What I see is a blue circle with a distinct bar shape in the center just like like it would show in any other power output until it is focused properly with the 3 element. Any pic out there for what you mean? MAYbe I'm just too ignorant here to fully understand what you mean when you say LED emission. Don't think I understand that.
If for say a 532nm dies you will see a red color which people say is when the diode "LEDs". I kind of assumed that they all go red regardless of nm but I honestly don't know. Does a diode "LED" if it doesn't have enough power then? Educate me across the forehead if need be. Really want to understand this so I don't remain ignorant.
Really wish that ProVari wasn't so expensive. Sure seems to be built like a tank though. Don't have or want to spend that much and I don't think others do either unless they are actually into vaping for real like you are. It's a really good unit and I'm not surprised it's functioning great for you. Lucky to have especially if you end up with something other than the red in the future so you can take full advantage of it. Like the regulated output it has like the Lambo one has so the voltage you set them at gets locked in even as battery drains.
That last one that I showed above will arrive Monday or Tuesday probably for me to report on. I'm making progress on finding units that can at least take a cell with more capacity. Slowly whittling away at it and with others helping we will figure out how many variables we can overcome such as price, battery capacity, variable output, longer on cycle before safety cutoff etc...
So, ANYONE that can input anything that might help please input. A lot of this doesn't actually require you to own the adapter. If nothing else it will help me keep my sanity lol.
By the way, I now have the flavors Horchata (don't drink but it was in a 1/2 off bin and it smelled good), raspberry, caramel vanilla, pomegranate and I'm really excited about getting a coffee flavored flavored e-juice;) Blueberry is supposed to be a hot seller but the local place was out of it. Don't blow smoke much but it's kinds fun and tastes good. Hope it doesn't actually turn out to be really bad for me but I do only do it maybe 10 times a day for the novelty. Would't do it in public though.

Last edited:

Sadish news...the module does not work on a variant mod. It does however look and work great on all of my other mods. When powered with dual 18650s it has a tendency to burn anything in its path. Awesome module.

I also ordered this new mod to compliment the module. The design is somewhat similar and I think they will look great together.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281569562805

Also have 4 new 18350 batteries on the way.

What I see is a blue circle with a distinct bar shape in the center just like like it would show in any other power output until it is focused properly with the 3 element. Any pic out there for what you mean? MAYbe I'm just too ignorant here to fully understand what you mean when you say LED emission. Don't think I understand that.
If for say a 532nm dies you will see a red color which people say is when the diode "LEDs". I kind of assumed that they all go red regardless of nm but I honestly don't know. Does a diode "LED" if it doesn't have enough power then? Educate me across the forehead if need be. Really want to understand this so I don't remain ignorant.

LED's have a broadband emission - while it's far less wide than a typical white lamp it's enough to cover a few tens of nm (a green LED will most likely emit quite a bit of yellow or cyan, for example).

A laser diode is similar to an LED in many ways. You can think of it as a resonant LED - the light kicks back and forth inside the cavity and that ends up selecting a very specific wavelength (color), down to 1 or 2nm. This only happens above a certain amount of current, called threshold. Below that a laser diode's emission is broadband like an LED. It's also not coherent (the waves don't move together, therefore they don't interfere and there's no speckle pattern). At threshold or slightly above it you'll be able to see a superposition of the LED emission and the lasing line (the borders will look smooth and less saturated, while the center will look saturated and speckled).

The difference between LED emission and laser emission should be really obvious side by side due to the speckles. See the wiki for a few pictures: Speckle pattern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When we say a diode LED'ed that means it's no longer able to achieve resonance and will output the LED emission even above threshold. Doesn't mean it will change color, but it will lose power, will be harder to focus, will have no speckles and a broadband emission. 532nm will change to red because the diode has always been infrared (and that emission might be very dangerous if it's still putting out much power).

Pman

Well that's weird, I posted a reply last night and it's not here. Get the feeling I hit a maintenance point.
I'll look over the information and figure it out. Thanks for trying to explain it to me.

What exactly did you try it on Dep? Have a link to the unit so i can see what it is and figure out why it didn't work? Maybe you posted it back further and I need to take a look. If it really doesn't work at all that would be the first unit I've come across.
The one you ordered will probably look great with it. You can spend days finding mods out there and drive ourself batty (I know from experience). Nice to have so many choices though and you can buy more than one if you want more length or just a different battery combination for most of the mods I've seen. Will say that the telescoping ones make getting the battery size issue the easiest to deal with from what I've personally tried. Have one with a side button and telescoping and it's easier to use than the back bottom ones.

Crud, no mail today:(

Last edited:
The unit it didn't work on is called a variant.
Titanium Variant Slim by Vicious Ant ***AVAILABLE*** | Vape Street

It's my favorite vape mod I have and I'm pretty bummed that I couldn't get it to work. No matter what I do it just tells me "check atty". I took some pics with some different mods, but being new here I don't know how to post them. I tried uploading them before but they are bigger than the allowed size. How do I go about posting pics for yall to see?

I also tried it on a couple of other VV/VW units and I got the same error. One was a cana mod. It is a clone of the Hana and runs a DNA30 chip. It also tells me check atty when I fire with the module. It can be seen here.
https://www.wetvapes.com/index.php/hana-mods-clone-dna-30.html

The final VV/VW unit that I couldn't get it to work on was an IPV V2. I get the same thing where it tells me to check the atomizer. I believe that the reason is that each of these units have a cutoff point for sub ohm vaping, and the laser module does not have the resistance that a normal atomizer or drip atomizer would. I have to be careful when I build a coil for any RDA tank that I have because the cutoff for most is in the .3-.5 ohm range. Mech mods do not have this obviously because they don't have anything measuring the resistance on them like the chipped ones. Sub ohming is where people make vaping dangerous if they do not know what they are doing, but it's also how to produce the biggest clouds.

The other mods I have that the module works great on is a hellfire, paragon v1, paragon v3, ar mod, onyx, k101, maraxus, fuhattan, nemesis, and the black hawk. I also have the astro on the way that is going to be what I mainly use the module for, but I like the design of it so much that I will probably use it to vape quite a bit as well. The module also works on any ego twist style VV pen that I have.

Link to an IPV
iPV V2.1, Silver

All in all I am extremely happy with the module. With dual 18650s I am burning a lot of stuff lying around and having a blast. I also like though that I can use only one battery and play with it indoors. This is an amazing unit and I highly suggest it to any who like to change hosts often or who has made a hobby of both vaping and lasers.

On a side note, I also just completed my 520nm kryton groove also thanks to DTR and I love it. Jordan has answered many of my questions and offered me help when he didn't have to at all. I am very thankful for his help and patience with a newbie.

Pman

I use imageshack as you can set it to covert your uploads to whatever you want like 800 x 600 automatically. Haven't figured out how to do videos as imageshack is only for pics.
I am almost 100% sure the issue you are having is the "without atomizer" on where those units are looking for 9.9 ohms or less to turn on. If any of them have the charging option that allows you to hook up a 510 to usb adapter to charge things like cell phones you can set it to that and it will work. The one I have puts out 6V for charging so even though it won't work just like yours I can get a constant on anyways with full laser output:) Unless those units are old all the ones I've seen that are VW have that charging function. Just look in your manuals or go into the function settings of the units.
I received my Vamo V7 VV/VW unit yesterday and it works in both VV and VW but it's PWM so has the strobing issue BUT I've also seen some really interesting things that I need to mess with to be able to report more accurately. From what I saw yesterday it appears that if you select what power/voltage you want and then push the button it might not strobe until you change the setting while lasing. Like I said, I have more testing to do on it. Also have the extensions for it to make it accept 2 18650 if i want making it pretty long. Also have enough 4nine all copper units to take 2 18650 also but it is strictly a mechanical unit. Love potions. I'll have to post some pics of them. Only waiting on 1 more unit to arrive now that is VV with controller that takes 2 16340 and should work fine. Found many other straight VV units that hold bigger capacity cells that should work great but they are all over $100. Want to find more reasonably priced units so more members can enjoy being able to vary the output. Wish more members would get involved:(

Just took a look at your links Dep and you own some seriously expensive units. Can't imagine spending that much myself. Thanks so much for helping out here. If you haven't figured it out yet I really mean it. Feels too much like I'm on my own with this. How many straight VV units do you own and do they all work with it as I suspect they will? I have a couple c-twist that do work and you can get about 60% output with them as if I remember correctly they go to 4.8 V. Should get an output from a unit that will hit 3.9V at least with the M462. The only unit I have that won't hit the threshold is an eGo that only has 3.7V. All the rest of my pens can go to at least 4.2V. Mentioned earlier that a local smokers shop has different colored pens that were just over $6 bucks and can select 3 voltage levels up to that 4.2V.
I'm sure if anyone likes pens like I do and they have a lathe or know someone that does there's no reason why the adapter cant be turned down to a smaller diameter to match it although I've found that if you buy those top dress adapters for them the adapters look pretty nice as is and you still get the same heat sinking.
I Repped you dep;)

Units I have tested or are still testing:
Took (4) 4-nine units to make a double 18650 mod

Special slotted copper piece added that looks a bit strange with the laser module shape.

Don't really like the tapered dress cap on the V7 (piece that covers the 510 connection) and am going to get the S.S one if/when they go back in stock.

Monster double 18650 built with 2 S.S adapters.

My hand just for size reference although I have small hands.

Everyone of these will work in some capacity. Yup, had to go buy another case just for these. No I don't let them touch.

Last edited:
These are lovely, the only improvement I'm begging for now is a laser diode holder (the copper part) with a wider threaded lens assembly so the focal length can be increased without the beam being clipped by the sides of the lens holder to allow more beam expansion before collimation.

Pman

Thanks. The Vamo straight style top rings in brushed stainless just came back in stock so I'm going to order it as the tapered one doesn't look as good with the adapter.
vamo_straight_top_ring_all.gif

Here's a pic with all my extensions. Could hold (5) 18650 or 1 -2 plus a looooooong spacer;)

Looks like the (2) 16340 VV units will be delivered today. Selects between 4,5 and 6V:
$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work good and those voltages would be decent ranges. I'll test and report as you never really know what the actual voltages will be. Like a lot of units this ones indicator will change from red to purple to blue indicating what voltage you have selected. Nice having all these cool light up buttons and indicators. If you bought one I would suggest the complete kit so you would get the adapter with it as it sounds from the description that the connector may be recessed a bit more and you might need the adapter if you don't already have one plus you get some other things. Buy some of these too if you like these pen style units:
s-l140.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261531821323?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=560407334689&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

EDIT:
Received the unit above and it does NOT adjust to 6V. It will only adjust o 3.7, 3.9 and 4.6V. Big disappointment. Contacting seller and awaiting a response. The free batteries it came with were shrink wrapped together and one of them was at 2.6V while the other was at 4.1V (crap Ultrafires and was expecting that but not the one battery at such a low voltage.

Seller sent a prepaid label to send it back for a refund. Asked him to test the ones he is selling but received no response.

Last edited:
NOT tryin to whine BUT

this thread has become a PITA
too much info
too many pics three monitors wide- and thus VERY hard to read
the way too big bricks of text also hard to read-

I dont mean to be NOT appreciating all the work done so far BUT....
my eyes are hurting--

I will just step back and wait--

Post #28 - I already need to enlarge texts to read them.
BUT this one has way too big pics to read unless i go to fine print- & that no good for me-wtw?

hak

Last edited:

Pman

I fixed post 28 just for you Len but I can't fix the confusion issue.
There's plenty of threads here that I don't follow so i just don't bother.
Trying to figure out what in the electronic mod world will work well to be able to vary the output of a laser module. Regular mechanical ones work great. It's not that complicated what it is we're after but it is rather elusive finding something that doesn't have the limitations that most mods have built in due to vaping safety issues.
I'll see if it looks like any of the pics I've posted look bigger than 800 x 600 and delete them. Strange that the posts are too large for you when it looks pretty good on my galaxy note 4 phone.
If no-one is interested in the posts I'll stop and do my own thing. If it's helping others still I'm sure they will let me know.

yeah the problem may be just me.

I have actually never been able to figure how pics are loaded into the text -
mine are ALWAYS thumbnails below the box- if you want to really see them just click=
also i never figured out why some quote a post with tons of pics- duh!??

we have seen them already not need to see them again and waiting for them to load is an un-needed pita..

about those trying to use a phone in place of a REAL PC- that is your choice and i wont be changing the way I do my posts/emails etc

because some are looking at a phone NOT a PC monitor..

my phone does not even have a camera- & I dont text either..

hak

update

THANKS, Pete, for making #28 VERY readable--

+6

Last edited:
Thanks pman!

The variant mod uses a li-po battery and does not have a charging mode. The battery is just pulled from the back of it and charged up that way. There is not even a port anywhere on the mod. I did however get my astro mod in the mail, and it looks incredible with the module. When I get a chance, I'll try to put up a couple of pictures.

I just got back from a vape event and took the module with me to show some of the owners here at the local vape shops and they were very impressed. It was a big hit and many questions were asked, but I kindly averted attention away the best I could as these units should not be handed out to just anybody in my opinion. That's just to say that all of the people there agreed that it is a beautiful unit. Thanks again dtr for your amazing work.

I am down to 3 pens I think now. All of them are the larger style twists and will go to 4.8 volts. Each of them work great, but just not the same effect as when it's on the astro mod. I put my new 18340 batteries in it stacked and it is very sleek looking and has all the power that I want to put into it. Thanks for your support and help pman. Vaping is a huge part of my life, and lasers are rapidly approaching the same level of importance. I'm glad that we can team up on this and get some real results. After my trip to the vape event I now have a couple contacts within the vape world and potentially have access to many mods and pens that I might be able to test the module out on. So far, I can't get the module to power with the mid to higher end vv/vw box mods, but I think I might be able to manufacture or acquire through one of my local vape shop owners a mechanical mod that has a chip in it to boost the voltage to 8 volts. Tonight is the first I've heard of this, and I am very intrigued. Hopefully more to come if I can get a hold of this guy again.

I'm interested and I appreciate all the info and pictures.

But TBH I expected someone would have found an electronic mod without the time limit or at least found a way to bypass that. What I'm really after is the variable power stuff, I'm not going to get into this unless those problems are solved... :/

Pman

Would like to see the Astro you mention for sure. Someone posted a fantastic looking mech mod that really goes with the adapter in the vets section. Really inexpensive Fasttech unit.
Yes I understand the concern as most do about just anyone owning one. Don't care if others get annoyed by the mentioning of safety over and over.
I completely understand your comment Atom and it's what we are after. Now that everyone should know that the mech mods work great and there's a ton of choices and that they are pretty inexpensive for cool looking units it's all about the control side. I don't have the $ to buy the more expensive ones to just try out. Have to know that it would work before trying to come up with the $ for one. Certainly don't know anyone who would send me ones for free to test and then send back. The units I'v seen at a couple smoke shops didn't appear to be what we are looking for. I might have a few leads though from a couple of Moderators in vapingunderground. They sound expensive though. I should post them here and anyone can look at them and those who know/understand the talk more than I do can weigh in on them.
On another note, I think I'm almost over feeling sick:) Yay for me.
I'm really trying to make this as simple as possible Len but the perfect low cost units are elusive. It doesn't help that there doesn't appear to be a big number of our members that actually vape. I obviously find it fascinating so am putting serious effort into the marriage of these hobbies (although I'm sure ex-smokers wouldn't call vaping a hobby). Just like lots of members also collect flashlights now we can connect 3 hobbies together.

Last edited:
Would like to see the Astro you mention for sure. Someone posted a fantastic looking mech mod that really goes with the adapter in the vets section. Really inexpensive Fasttech unit.
Yes I understand the concern as most do about just anyone owning one. Don't care if others get annoyed by the mentioning of safety over and over.
I completely understand your comment Atom and it's what we are after. Now that everyone should know that the mech mods work great and there's a ton of choices and that they are pretty inexpensive for cool looking units it's all about the control side. I don't have the $ to buy the more expensive ones to just try out. Have to know that it would work before trying to come up with the $ for one. Certainly don't know anyone who would send me ones for free to test and then send back. The units I'v seen at a couple smoke shops didn't appear to be what we are looking for. I might have a few leads though from a couple of Moderators in vapingunderground. They sound expensive though. I should post them here and anyone can look at them and those who know/understand the talk more than I do can weigh in on them.
On another note, I think I'm almost over feeling sick:) Yay for me.
I'm really trying to make this as simple as possible Len but the perfect low cost units are elusive. It doesn't help that there doesn't appear to be a big number of our members that actually vape. I obviously find it fascinating so am putting serious effort into the marriage of these hobbies (although I'm sure ex-smokers wouldn't call vaping a hobby). Just like lots of members also collect flashlights now we can connect 3 hobbies together.

Great to hear you are feeling a bit better Pete..me too.
next week I will learn more about the deal with both wrists and my 'good' knee ( the left knee was replaced years ago)

Thanks to all the members who have been working on these new lasers especially Pete-Jordan and Eheg. etal.

hak

Pman

I haven't spent a lot more time on this lately other than to mess with adapters and modules such as standard Fasttech 532nm ones. Easy enough to take a $6 532nm and stick it in a DTR adapter for an inexpensive green. Only need to bypass the module switch and solder a blob onto the end of the driver with a tiny shot spring to make good connection as long as it is aligned extremely well as you certainly don't want to risk a short between the 510 pin and adapter. Doesn't appear to be any issues just turning the battery around to make the pin - in the non- electronic ones but you better check that you won't short before trying it.
Thought I was going to be over feeling run down but it's pretty bad right now plus it's not easy to figure things out when you run out of funds to puchase what you need.