Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Copper Behemoth!

For those of you that have ever wondered what it would look like to take 2lbs of copper, a 2D maglite host, and a 9mm 445nm Diode driven at 2.5A, look no further. I recently contacted Jayrob and put him up to the task of putting together the craziest copper beast he and I could think up and the result was simply ridiculous. First off, Jayrob thought I was out of my mind. I asked him to take a 3inx2in slab of solid copper and turn it into the baddest heatsink he had ever made. Then I asked himif I could put that onto a 2d maglite, oh and as I mentioned above, drive a 9mm 445nm Nichia diode to 2.5A. And my friends, the man did just that. This is the torch known as Satan's sceptor. I am floored at how it turned out. If you are wondering if its unwieldily, you bet your ass its unwieldy, with 2lbs of copper on one end of a 2d maglite host powered by 2X 32650 batteries. This is an out of this world build of epic proportions. This has to be the most heavy duty laser I have ever seen on the civilian market. The heatsink is just a work of art and shout out to Jayrob for making this crazy sink, despite breaking 2 bits on his lathe machining the piece to precision. The h-sink fits immaculately to the host body and I got all the bells and whistles Jay puts into his 2Dmaglite build which include: Keyswitch, Voltage monitor, preinstalled X-Drive Driver (driven @ 2.5A) thermal glued to its own aluminum heatsink which is ALSO thermal glued to the host making this the pimp mack daddy of all my current lasers. I also have a Blord Copper Dominator if you have read any of my first impressions threads and no disrespect to Blord who himself makes a mighty fine laser, but this torch dwarfs it as you will see below. This is, simply put, ONE BAD MOFO! I am going to LPM this monster in the next week or so but I am very confident that 3.5W is well within reach. Ok, with that said, here she is!

Mdv4a4l.jpg

iTt48Ri.jpg

tCdV2Gh.jpg

uTtqMmF.jpg

xcYkSpl.jpg

vQZZMYc.jpg

bSPZpJr.jpg

Wspwqh6.jpg

SQNhlVp.jpg

Here's a link for the build info: http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...exmodp3-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

Unfortunately he has only made this copper sink for me as I begged and pleaded with him so for now, this is a one of a kind Jayrob piece. Hope you guys enjoyed my little piece of laser heaven:)

Last edited:

money is no option.......ME WANT THE BEST!!!!!

Thing is beast man! killer laser!

jayrob

It will also double as a good boat anchor if ever needed... :crackup:

But yeah it just turned out to be way too much work to bore out that large of copper to fit the a D sized Mag host: (copper is much harder to work with vs aluminum)

DMag%20Custom%205.jpg

So I don't want to mess with copper in this custom D Mag head anymore. Not even for a personal build...

But I will be offering it in aluminum! :beer: Plenty of mass with aluminum... Copper is way over kill! (IMO)

Can't wait to see what you meter it at! (2.5 Amps - phew!) Hopefully you have a high efficiency diode in there to get over 3 Watts...

Hey if you want a knurled EzFocus adapter, I can make one that looks like this out of copper: (shown on a different host)

2088%2013.jpg

I would say 3/4" to 7/8" diameter is fine.

When we designed this custom build, we did not include an EzFocus adapter. I see that one you have in the pictures is nice looking except the lens sticks way out.

Thanks for the review! +rep when the system allows me to give you more...

EzFocus adapters:

Let me explain something about EzFocus adapters. The final position of the EzFocus adapter in relation to the front of the host, is determined by the lens position at focus. This gap can be adjusted by the module position inside the heatsink.

With some builds, it is a bit of a hassle to make this adjustment. Because the laser would have to be taken apart to move the module position. (or not room at all for moving the module)

Also, some lenses stick out farther than others...

So another way that would be very easy, is that I can thread the EzFocus adapter deeper than normal. That way when you thread it onto your lens, you can adjust the position of the EzFocus adapter by how far you thread it onto your lens.

The only thing you will need to do, is use a very small amount of medium strength thread lock to set it's position on the lens.

The easiest way, is to have your lens installed into the laser with some Teflon tape on the threads so that it is 'snug'. And at normal focus.

Then, put a very small amount of medium strength thread lock onto the lens threads, and put the EzFocus adapter onto the lens. Leaving just a minimal gap between the face of the heatsink, and the back of the EzFocus adapter. (a small gap is recommended in case you want to focus it in for a farther distance)

Then let it sit for 20 minutes or so, for the thread lock to cure...

P.S. Check this one out! :D

DMag%20Custom%208.jpg

DMag%20Custom%2013.jpg

Single cell D Mag Stubby with voltage monitor, and one of lazeerer's new SXB drivers!

2.6 Watts @ 2.3 Amps with 9mm diode and stock 9mm lens... (with I had a higher efficiency diode in this one - might have been 3 Watts)

Last edited:

Laik

Wow! Get that thin on a LPM ASAP!! That looks beast man!

Last edited:
Gonna have to +1 Jayrob and you for the dedication. That beast looks like it could be used as a self defense baton :D

That's got to have a near-continuous duty cycle. You could almost split atoms in that monster sink!

Great unit and I love the power monitor system.

Gun

That copper looks awesome, waay overkill...but that's what's awesome about it :D.

Blord

Nice work. That copper Behemoth looks very impressive !

Laik

I just found out how to make them and Fiddy got to post a meme.... :whistle:

Last edited:
Man that thing looks niice :D
Get it clear coated... believe me, the corrosion's a big disappointment...

Fiddy

I just found out how to make them and Fiddy got to post a meme.... :whistle

that's because it was relevant to the thread, use your memes properly! /threadjack

Last edited:
Hi all, so where can get the clear coat? I checked with MRCROUSE and they only work with aluminum as far as anodiziing. It would be a real shame to see this in a year or so tarnished. Let me now where you guys recommend to get this done.