Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Chartreuse Coruscation

Well...." Down the Rabbit Hole " AGAIN !!!! OK....I decided to do a little experiment with an old / unused 50mW 532 DPSS unit I had.

I have not really been satisfied with the color generated by combining the 520nm and the 638nm Diodes. I just assumed that I could get to a nice Lime green ( Chartreuse) color....by combining these two lines !!!

Diode combining delivered such a great result on the Cyan Cannon build.....a slow and smooth mixing of Green and Blue....to land right in the Cyan colour area. Well...This is NOT working out with the 520 and 638 line.

SO....we start with a "Traditional Christmas Green" …. ( 520nm)….and when you start mixing in the red ( 638nm )….well there is a very, very small sweet spot.....where you get what looks what is equal to a 532nm line....then....BAM....a too bright....washed out yellow !!!

Trust me....I have mixed and mixed....and mixed.....and that Lime green ( Chartreuse) color …. is just NOT there !!!

SO....for some reason...I decided to align the 532nm Far Feld spot....with the Red only Far Field spot....Viola !!! Lime Green= Chartruse !!

SO....for anyone that gives a Rat's ASS....the door to Lime Green ( Chartreuse )…...IS 532nm + 638nm !!!!

NOW the problem is...….the size of the 532nm 500mW module....really hogs up length !!! TOO much length....by about 21mm.

I got 10 pounds o'shit….in a 8 pound bag !!!! This design was NOT set up for the size of a 532nm Module......SO....NOW WHAT !!! ?????

HHmmmmmm ????? I will likely morph over to a Cyan Cannon II build....which CAN be done.....and start over on the Chartreuse Corrissication in early 2019 !!!

Sometimes.....ya just gotta do what makes sense !!!.....and live to try again....another day !!!!

CDBEAM

One final thought.....UNLESS....Unless.....the beam divergence on the 532 module can equal a smaller beam divergence on a single mode Red....SO....the Cylindrical lenses can be eliminated.......hhhhmmmmmm ??????? Maybe.....and let the BE do the final divergence reduction ??????????…..…...In my best " Young Frankenstein " voice....." IT COULD WORK " !!!!!
Maybe.....still get close to 1W out the Front Door !!!!

OH...And YES Chris....the distance from the 2mm EFL.....to the PCV lens ( First Cylindrical ) DOES act on the Far Field beam divergence!!! BUT...in a Hand Held Build....well....one has very, very little room to move things around !!! IIRC.....a greater distance = less Far Field divergence...but....who the hell has room for that !!!!...close I can do !!! Distance....not so much !!!

Last edited:

Yeah, matching the beams in the far field may be problematic too. I'm glad the colors work out for you, but matching their divergence specs is a whole 'nother problem, indeed. ;)

Benm

It sure is - if you mix red and green into a beam that beam may look pretty decently yellow/lime/etc when coming out of of the laser, but if you project it onto a surface 100 meters away you may find it to be a big red circle with a small green one on top of it. And that is even considering you got the alignment perfect, but just the difference in divergence vs beam diameters off, something you can hardly do anything about.

We serve Many Gods !!!

The God of Divergence
The God of Colour Perception
The God of Alignment
The God of Availability
The God of Cost
The God of Size....and...
The God of Who spends What...on What !!!! ( Toughest God of'em ALL )

Maybe I get lucky....and a Green DPSS ( Known for limited divergence).....and a Single Mode Red....will have similar divergence !!! Again...leaving the
final " Heavy Lifting " to be done by the Beam Expander !!!

CDBEAM

Colleague's... A tentative breakthru….from the suggestion of Jordi at Atenlaser…..See the attached drawing !!!CHC-H-BE with 532 -PP V3.JPG

SOooo….THIS may work !!! I am convinced that to deliver a nice Chartreuse Lime Green colour….I MUST combine the 532nm line with the 638nm line.....SO....I must use a DPSS 532 Green module.

As I said previously.....Space is a problem......because the H-BE platform is now complete. I have not enough room for the PVC/PCX Cylindrical lens set....BUT...…. I still need to correct the RED beam path to match the Green 1.5 mRad divergence !!!!!

Jordi/Atenlaser noted that for low magnification....an Anamorphic Prism Pair would have very small loss at low power at low magnification.

Well....Lucky me....I have just barely enough room to realize the design attached !!! We can have it all !!!

Lime green ( New color for a Hand Held)
Matched divergence....Green 532 at 1.5mRad = Red 638 at 1.5 mRad ( Corrected to match by the PP optics )
Fairly tight divergence overall....and ……... maybe...the BE will be optional !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Use of the existing build components !!

See the drawing !! Thank you Jordi....Nice save....for...I THINK this will work !!!!!

We will see in the coming weeks !! What a ride !!!

CDBEAM

Last edited:
Bob, check this old thread at PL out: Freak diode. I would have saved the diode but they were like $700 each at the time. Amazing how little differences in WL make a big difference to the eye.

Thanx Chris !!! I reviewed the link !!! Interesting !!! A few nm DOES make a large difference.....especially when doing a Dual Line Combiner !!!....And having a specific perceived color outcome in mind !!!!

This build has been a lesson...in humility !!

I was cock sure....that a 520nm mixed with 638nm would yield a nice Chartreuse !!!! WRONG !!!

This hobby is typically full of suprises....especially out here....in Undiscovered Country !!!

Sometimes...I think...I can Fix a Rainy Day....other times....I hit a solid wall....built by the Laws of Optics.
Like I said....it is a wild ride !!! Never ASSUME...ya...OK !!!....But....after having such good success with the Cyan Cannon build.....well
there ya go. Sometimes...ya get humbled !!

OK...I am now waiting on specific info from Jetlaser.....as to how this 532 OEM module is modulated.....for the Red will be balls out....but the Green needs a modulated Output !!

Thanx for your input....and thanx again to Jordi from Atenlaser !!!

CDBEAM

Answer=A visible colour
HAHAHAHA !!!
Did not the program " Chroma " let us mix wavelengths....to see what color was generated ??
I have it....but....it will not run !!!
Is there a Free Program out there that does this ???????

CDBEAM

kecked

565nm is almost the exact color you want. adding red makes it more green. good luck finding the laser. and no you cant have mine :)

The CIE color pie chart lets you get pretty close by eye.

Last edited:
565nm is almost the exact color you want. adding red makes it more green. good luck finding the laser. and no you cant have mine :)

The CIE color pie chart lets you get pretty close by eye.

Well....I think I am after more the 560 nm to 565 nm line...… See this link …..

https://www.colortools.net/color_mixer.html

Set the percentages at;

78 % Red
100% Green

THAT is the COLOUR !!! That one !!!....Now....what wavelength is THAT ??? Best I can determine...yep 560~565nm !!! See the next link:

http://lsrtools.1apps.com/wavetorgb/index.asp?wavelength=565

SOooooo...I am confused...If one starts with the 565nm line( Green/Yellow )....and adds more RED....MMMMmmmm ??? I think the result would be a
Yellow /Orange perceived color....not heading down toward more green....I think !!

In any case…..I am very fortunate Jetlasers markets this 500 mW...532nm OEM module ....AND.....in such a small size package !!!! WOW !!!!

I am SURE....the 532nm line mixed with the 638nm line will get me to the " Chartreuse " color !!! Mod color of the late 1960's !!! To some....,maybe...just an UGLY COLOR !!! Well....whatever !!! I like it !!

Note: Jetlasers has been very helpful in answering all my MANY questions. That should not be a surprise !! Thank you Gray !

CDBEAM

Last edited:
Twas just a joke, actually what it looks like on screen vs. in the air is quite different I'm sure, as a beam it should be a bright sunlight yellow.