Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The 3500 mW 940nm Nightmare - a MODC build

It does look really nice. I'll stop spamming your thread now and let you have a life =p Thanks for the tease. Can't wait to see these in the hands of the public (I hope).

rhd

It does look really nice. I'll stop spamming your thread now and let you have a life =p Thanks for the tease. Can't wait to see these in the hands of the public (I hope).

I don't know that I can really sell them. People in the thread wanted cheap. These wouldn't be cheap. They have a lot of CNC work per module, three screw taps and the M9x0.5 of course, plus the backings I'm just cutting by hand as I need them, from sheet copper.

The larger issue is that I don't have time to ship anything, so someone else would have to sell them.

They wouldn't be cheap. People want cheap.

That's unfortunate. I mean, cheap is good, but I am sure there would be some takers for not cheap. Maybe you don't want to reveal this, and that's fine, but if you do, some questions - I understand one screw tap for the C-mount and one for the M9x0.5, but what are the others for? Attaching it to a heatsink? Maybe it would be possible to make an AiXiz compatible C-mount module, i.e. something that can attach to a modified (or non-standard) AiXiz module to reduce price. I'm sure you've thought of these. Just putting it out there.

rhd

Actually, none of the screw taps are for the C-Mount diode itself. It doesn't screw on (it's impossible to screw it down because of dimensions - you'd be trying to screw into open air near the edge of the thread of the M9x0.5). Also, we're really mounting the C-Mount upside down (they usually screw down from the front if you think about it). Instead of screwing it down, there's actually a pole that sticks out and centers the diode, then there's a metal bridge that screws down and presses the diode (from behind) so that it's securely held on the MODC. Two of the set screws are to hold the metal backing on.

Then there's a 3rd screw for taking the + feed from the module itself.

Then there are 2 holes so that you can feed the - wire through the module from back to front, and then front to back, which creates a - feed that doesn't put tension on the actual diode lead.

If someone else had a shop and wanted to sell them, we could probably arrange something for about a $25 per module (final price to the buyer). I don't think people will pay that though. We're used to $5 aixis modules for typical diodes.

Last edited:
Ah. That explains a lot. Seems difficult, unfortunately. But I know I would do $25 a mount.

rhd

Ah. That explains a lot. Seems difficult, unfortunately. But I know I would do $25 a mount.

Difficult to design for sure. Easy to use though.

Put the diode on, it self centers. Screw on the back. Attach leads. Done :)

Man that is a lot of power. At least on that 808 you can kind of see the "dot" (bar) a little bit without the aid of a camera, but with anything higher....yikes. Pretty scary. If there was ever a laser that i don't want to be widely available, its a high powered IR...Nevertheless, very cool design RHD.

Wow amazing! Yet freaking scary. I would not dare to toy with thing!

Amazing builds though! :beer:

Greetings,,

I would gladly pay $25 for one of these. Do you think it would work with the 4w 650nm red diode?

Actually, none of the screw taps are for the C-Mount diode itself. It doesn't screw on (it's impossible to screw it down because of dimensions - you'd be trying to screw into open air near the edge of the thread of the M9x0.5). Also, we're really mounting the C-Mount upside down (they usually screw down from the front if you think about it). Instead of screwing it down, there's actually a pole that sticks out and centers the diode, then there's a metal bridge that screws down and presses the diode (from behind) so that it's securely held on the MODC. Two of the set screws are to hold the metal backing on.

Then there's a 3rd screw for taking the + feed from the module itself.

Then there are 2 holes so that you can feed the - wire through the module from back to front, and then front to back, which creates a - feed that doesn't put tension on the actual diode lead.

If someone else had a shop and wanted to sell them, we could probably arrange something for about a $25 per module (final price to the buyer). I don't think people will pay that though. We're used to $5 aixis modules for typical diodes.

rhd

I would gladly pay $25 for one of these. Do you think it would work with the 4w 650nm red diode?

Yep, definitely. I've tried a few more builds with it, and I'm really happy with the design. It requires a host with space behind the heatsink, but that's about half the host designs I'm running into, so those aren't horrible odds of it working in a host - certainly as close to universal as I can imagine cmounts getting.

They're not too deadly for me to setup. I'm tapping these by hand because it kept the CNC costs down, and I have more control over tap quality, but that takes a bit of time. It's also a bit of a chore to cut the backing copper and drill the holes for the screws to fit through. That said, I had 25 or so made, and I'd be open, in theory, to putting together 10 or so module sets, all at once, assembly line style, if there was interest.

It's impractical for me to sell them directly though. I just shipped a driver in a bubble envelope to the US from Canada, and the cheapest option for shipping was $9.

benmwv

Awesome build rhd!

Im particularly interested in this driver, any chance we will be seeing a thread on it soon?

IMO if anybody is wanting to make a c-mount into a handheld $25 is a small price to pay for a module that takes care of the optics. Doing a custom focusing setup inside of a small host is no easy task.

rhd

Awesome build rhd!

Im particularly interested in this driver, any chance we will be seeing a thread on it soon?

IMO if anybody is wanting to make a c-mount into a handheld $25 is a small price to pay for a module that takes care of the optics. Doing a custom focusing setup inside of a small host is no easy task.

Maybe / maybe not. I don't have the time / capacity to sell drivers either, plus shipping from Canada makes no economical sense. Plus, I don't know that there's much demand for 5A drivers?

ru124t

This is impressive to say the least. I need to win 649 to meet you in person and pay you to be my lead minion. We may even find others on here to pay to become minor hencemen, but that is a story for another day. The driver would definitely be key to making this available. Just wondering but could three regular buck drivers take the place of your lovely modified buck ? I sell an electrical conduit that looks like the housing you used but mine is painted grey or beige, not polished. I use it at work for running cables under my counters and cash terminals. They snap apart .

I would be happy to pay 25 dollars for a MDOC. Sell me the CNC data to have some made and I will have some extra's made for you.

Last edited: