Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Taming the 300mW Mitsu 635's Beam

Cad602

Is there any <$100 solution to making these 300mW Mitsubishi 635nm diodes have a better dot / longer distance?
I've got a DTR 635 w/flex, in a Moh host and glass lens - and the beam specs are purdy bad. I love the color, it's all part of my learning curve where I buy everything I can afford and tinker with as much as I can for the experience :) so I'm not distraught over it...
And I knew the beam wouldn't be great. I just thought they'd be on par w/ the 445's I'm used to.

Will the G2 lens bring this beam under control or is it a lost cause to try and get any distance out of the beam?

Opinions on the G2 vs 300mW 635nm Mitsu's?
Thanks,
cad602

Because these are multimode diodes there is no single-lens solution to "tame" the wide flat beam that they produce. You can use a single prism to reduce the divergence, or a pair of prisms, or a set of cylindrical lenses, but none of these will help with a pointer build due to the size and complexity involved.

Cad602

I fingerd as much, thanks for some suggestions for me to experiment with.

Depending on it's final cost I might even have to get one of the 500 mW Mitsubishi's ...once it's been stocked by our favorite diode reseller that is... :) so I had better get up to speed on the different methods to collimate (I still like "tame") the photons.

I'm starting to read about plano concave cylindrical lenses - after seeing a refernce to them in the 500MW thread.. I see Thor labs has some in my price range but I need to do a lot more reading on the subject... I'll go ahead and take the diode out of the host it's in and start working on a lab style host (contraption)..
Back to lurking!

cad602

m0f

From what I've seen, the G2 has worse beam specs, but less power loss. Over at PL, there is a thread with some promising results with cylindrical lenses.

I got some pretty decent results with some cylinder lenses, beyond what I got with the prisms. I'll post something about them sometime later.

LaZeRz

If the cylindrical lens is small enough to fit in the front of an aixiz module that would be pretty cool :)

I got some pretty decent results with some cylinder lenses, beyond what I got with the prisms. I'll post something about them sometime later.

can you post some data on those cylindrical lenses you are going to use...
and how much do they cost ..

I might try some too! :)

Cad602

Just barely out of my price range would be to get two of these if that's in fact what we need.

Edit: A little too big maybe, well at this price does it matter? HERE.

cad602

Last edited:

ARG

If you want a lot of information there is a thread over on PhotonLexicon with the name "Holy Grail or Flash Light Fail" discussing how to correct the beam. It's quite a few pages long, but worth the read.

Cad602

If you want a lot of information there is a thread over on PhotonLexicon with the name "Holy Grail or Flash Light Fail" discussing how to correct the beam. It's quite a few pages long, but worth the read.

I'm on it!
It is quite a bit of information to process and since alot of this information is new (or newly understood) to me, I'm taking my time - and I've made a text file for copy/pasting the stuff I will want to reference again later...I don't think I can handle going through that thread more than once. :)
(on page two right now)

Thanks,

cad602

Don't treat that post as the end-all be-all though. Those lenses are just cheap and available (for now). It would be nice to find some other sources of such lenses especially those that don't need such a large separation between the two lenses. There are probably some other methods to arrange those lenses to focus as well, but I'll have to try that some other time.

Cad602

Thanks!! - but whoops I was so exicited I didn't read further down the thread until after buying to get the ebay price :yabbem: - oh well - maybe that'll teach me :)

I'm not even building a projector but I'm looking at getting my lens collection started and this looked like the right way to do it!

(2nd Edit: Got the lenses in!! I'm such a newb. I will strive to pay more attention before I speak. Seriously...
Next step: get a surface ready for mounting!

Thank you again everybody, and Bionic Badger for educating the newbs.

cad602

Last edited: