Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Survival Laser Open Thread

Garoq

It's been a long time here at LPF... all this times wishing to build my own laser... this year, finally I just bought some parts from SL... Host, Drilled driver, heatsink... I'm so excited to receive them and finish my build... Thanks Gary!!!!!!!
Good luck with your build Roger, and thanks!

-Gary

Garoq

A Survival Laser EXCLUSIVE! In response to numerous customer requests, Survival Laser introduces NEW 190-540nm + 610-760nm DUAL BANDWIDTH coverage genuine Eagle Pair® brand laser safety goggles which effectively protect against all commonly-used violet, blue, green AND RED laser wavelengths. The “OD7” rating of the 190-540nm range of the goggles means they reduce the intensity of violet, blue and green laser light by a factor of 10,000,000 or more. These goggles also sport an “OD4”-rated insert that protects against 610-760nm red wavelength lasers by a factor of 10,000. For example, direct exposure to a 7-watt (7,000 mW) blue or green laser would be reduced to 0.0007 milliwatts which is an extremely low and safe exposure level. Direct exposure to a 1-watt (1,000 mW) red laser would be reduced to 0.1 mW which is also a very safe level. These goggles have reasonable visible light transmission which means that wearers should have acceptable visibility in most lighting conditions.

Dual Bandwidth Goggles Front.jpeg

Dual Bandwidth Goggles Top.jpeg

Survival Laser is the authorized Eagle Pair® distributor in North America. These goggles are available now on both the international and U.S. Survival Laser stores linked below.

NOTE: These goggles do not protect against infrared wavelengths. Eagle Pair laser safety goggles come with a cleaning cloth and protective case (case appearance may be different than that shown). These goggles are for personal use only, not for any commercial use that is regulated by OSHA.

Last edited:

Garoq

Also, we have received updated "CE" certificates for the complete line of Eagle Pair® goggles. Full-resolution PDFs of the CE certificates are also linked in the "Safety Goggles" category page on both the U.S. and international Survival Laser stores.
CE New1 EP-1 Through EP-10.jpg

CE New2 EP-11 Through EP-18.jpg

Garoq

Make sure Gary keeps the tracking information, I ordered a 50 dollar item from him once and it never showed up, when I asked for the tracking number (due to requesting priority mail) he did not have one. Did not refund, did not replace, acted like 'too bad it was lost' without any offer of any kind of resolution. I still have the emails.

I'm still an unhappy camper because he was paid, I got nothing. 100 percent loss, if he lost the tracking number he should have refunded. After that, I refuse to buy from him again.
Show us the emails. That’s not how we do business.
What is your real name?
What was your invoice number?
What was the date of your order?

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

I have a question here, I recently bought the EP-3 Model of goggles at the survival lasers website order no 5183
And by your description and wording, You sold me them as 190nm - 540nm OD6+ rated goggles. But when I go to the manufacturer's website it seems like their testing yielded OD4+ results across the aforementioned range that is found in the description of your website.
EP3.png

Could I get an explanation as to why is that so? I will not be quick to make assumptions and I will just presume that the graph on your website is outdated.

Garoq

Hi Giannis, yes it is outdated. Eagle Pair updated the OD rating of the goggles but I have not yet received an updated OD vs. wavelength chart. I will request one from them.
I have a question here, I recently bought the EP-3 Model of goggles at the survival lasers website order no 5183
And by your description and wording, You sold me them as 190nm - 540nm OD6+ rated goggles. But when I go to the manufacturer's website it seems like their testing yielded OD4+ results across the aforementioned range that is found in the description of your website.
EP3.png

Could I get an explanation as to why is that so? I will not be quick to make assumptions and I will just presume that the graph on your website is outdated.

glad to see you Gary, i recently purchased another laser tool accessories box and im gonna need to fill it with some parts so ill probably be ordering a bunch of random stuff you pretty soon with no project in mind, just wanna have some stuff laying around for when I eventually do wanna construct one. hope youre doing well :)

Garoq

Hi Richie, it's good to be back. I've been very busy with the rocket company and family matters lately. We're doing well and hope you are too. Thanks in advance for the business!
glad to see you Gary, i recently purchased another laser tool accessories box and im gonna need to fill it with some parts so ill probably be ordering a bunch of random stuff you pretty soon with no project in mind, just wanna have some stuff laying around for when I eventually do wanna construct one. hope youre doing well :)

Hi Richie, it's good to be back. I've been very busy with the rocket company and family matters lately. We're doing well and hope you are too. Thanks in advance for the business!
good good. I was hoping you were :) youre welcome and thank you for everything, nearly every one of my lasers has something from SL lol. anyways, have a great day ;)

Garoq

New Laser Safety Goggles Now Available on the Survival Laser Stores!

Eagle Pair® 600-1100nm OD6 Laser Safety Goggles​

ep-14-4 7.35.52 PM.jpg
Eagle Pair® brand protective laser safety goggles for 600-1,100nm wavelengths. These goggles protect to a level of OD6+ (reduce the intensity of 600-1,100nm red and infrared laser light by a factor of 1,000,000 or more), and are CE certified. These goggles use a mineral glass filter, not a polycarbonate filter, so they are heavier than our standard goggles. They have high visible light transmission compared with our other red and infrared blocking goggles. These Eagle Pair goggles may be used when looking at the spot created by a 1,000 watt or lower power laser of the protected wavelength on a non-reflective surface. However, you should NEVER look directly into any laser beam or its direct reflection even when wearing laser safety goggles. Eagle Pair laser safety goggles come with a cleaning cloth and protective case (case appearance may be different than that shown). Note: These goggles are for personal use only, not for any commercial use that is regulated by OSHA.

Eagle Pair® 680-1100nm OD7 Laser Safety Goggles​

ep-15-4 7.35.52 PM.jpg
Eagle Pair® brand protective laser safety goggles for 680-1,100nm wavelengths. These goggles protect to a level of OD7+ (reduce the intensity of 680-1,100nm near-infrared and infrared laser light by a factor of 10,000,000 or more), and are CE certified. These goggles use a mineral glass filter, not a polycarbonate filter, so they are heavier than our standard goggles. They have high visible light transmission compared with our other infrared blocking goggles. These Eagle Pair goggles may be used when looking at the spot created by a 10,000 watt or lower power laser of the protected wavelength on a non-reflective surface. However, you should NEVER look directly into any laser beam or its direct reflection even when wearing laser safety goggles. Eagle Pair laser safety goggles come with a cleaning cloth and protective case (case appearance may be different than that shown). Note: These goggles are for personal use only, not for any commercial use that is regulated by OSHA.

Why_you

I apologize for what’s about to come, it’s not good forum etiquette, especially for a new member, but I have to say it. Sorry.

I had to make a new acc for this forum, but I’m rather active on Styroypyros Discord, so members like Giannis or Cyparagon can confirm my story.

It started in January when I got a new high-power Argon, I wanted to make sure that my EaglePair 190-540, 800-1700 nm OD5+ goggles that i bought from Survivallaser could protect me from a direct hit. I own a spectrophotometer that can measure ODs up to 3, so I put my goggles in it and measured them over the whole 200-900nm range. My meter showed that the OD rating dropped below 3 around 510 nm, that should NEVER have happened since those goggles have a OD5+ rating for that region. Another server member on Styro’s Discord (puppi) posted a pic where a 505 nm laser basically went straight through those goggles while a 532 nm was blocked, confirming my suspicion that the OD of those goggles does go down quite a bit in that region.

I contacted Gary and gave him the data, because it seemed like a serious issue, but the response was rather underwhelming. I asked for an OD vs wavelength chart multiple times (that got ignored), and he admitted that he didn’t have the means to test them. Apart from that, nothing happened.

I contacted the manufacturer EagleView and gave them the data, because it seemed like at least some of there goggles had massive safety flaws and didn’t meet their specifications (they let more than 100x more light through than their OD rating suggested). Never heard from them again.

I started to reach out to chem/pharmaceutical labs with spectrophotometers to get my goggles tested by an independent 3rd party. My spectrophotometer (LKB Ultrospec Pro) is rather old and uncalibrated, and I wanted data from a calibrated instrument before I published anything. Turns out that you need rather specialized equipment to test goggles above OD3, and I didn’t want to pay a couple hundred bucks to a proper DAkkS certified laser lab.

That brought the “measure the EP OD” project to a stop, until another guy from Styro’s Discord, Spirit, measured his own pair of EaglePair 15-4 IR goggles on a calibrated spectrophotometer in a laser lab. Those have a OD7+ rating for 680-1100 nm, but he measured a transmittance (!!!) of over 1%, starting at 1050 nm and growing to roughly 5% at 1100ish. Those goggles should let less than 0.00001% of the light through, but their measured optical density is not even 0.5 for the main Nd YAG 1064 nm wavelength.

And that fact is why I’m writing this: It is extremely bad if OD5+ rated goggles dip below OD3 for some wavelengths (where you need somewhat obscure high power lasers to get into the "danger zone"), but if goggles with a OD7+ rating don’t even reach OD1 FOR THE MAIN Nd:YAG WAVELENGTH, it is catastrophic to say the least. This is not excusable. I wanted to publish my findings in a more controlled way once I got confirmation from a 3rd party lab, but I needed to address the launch of the EP 15-4 on the SL website.

Styropyro made a video a few years ago where he tested different laser goggles and recommended EaglePair goggles, he took that video down until we have more test results and know if we can trust the OD ratings of EaglePair goggles.

Even the manufacturer doesn’t seem to know their OD ratings, they list the EP 15-4 as “OD7+ 680-1100 nm”, yet their own site (bj-jjhy.com/index.html) lists an OD of 6 for 694 nm Ruby lasers. What is it then? OD7+ or OD5+?

About their "CE ratings": Those aren't "proper" CE ratings where the certification lab tests the product, those are so called voluntary certificates (check the bottom of the lab reports). The CE cert lab doesn't test products for this "certification light", they demand test results from the manufacturer and just make sure that what the manufacturer claims on the product is also in the manufacturers test report. But they DO NOT check if the test report from the manufacturer, for their own products is legit. You give them a test report that states OD10+ and you print OD10+ on your goggles? They won't check if your goggles are actually OD10+ or if you just made that up.

@Garoq: I would highly appreciate it if you could add real data in the form of OD v wavelength charts from independent labs to the discussion to settle this simple question: Are my EaglePair laser goggles safe to use and do they meet their specifications?

Because right now, the answer to that question seems to be “probably not”.

I have attached the data from my measurements, a screenshot from Spirit’s measurement of the EP 15-4 in a laser lab, a picture of a 50ish mW 505 and 532 diodes going through EP goggles (thanks puppi for the pic) as well as my full mail conversation with Gary where I told him about my findings so you can validate my claims. The first mail to Gary (with the full data) went out on the 23.2.2021.

Attachments

• EP SL goggles.JPG
    EP SL goggles.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Eagle15-4.png
    Eagle15-4.png
    580.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8491.png
    IMG_8491.png
    791.9 KB · Views: 20
  • EaglePair 15-4.JPG
    EaglePair 15-4.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 21
  • EaglePair Docs.zip
    34.2 KB · Views: 7

Garoq

I apologize for what’s about to come, it’s not good forum etiquette, especially for a new member, but I have to say it. Sorry.

I had to make a new acc for this forum, but I’m rather active on Styroypyros Discord, so members like Giannis or Cyparagon can confirm my story.

It started in January when I got a new high-power Argon, I wanted to make sure that my EaglePair 190-540, 800-1700 nm OD5+ goggles that i bought from Survivallaser could protect me from a direct hit. I own a spectrophotometer that can measure ODs up to 3, so I put my goggles in it and measured them over the whole 200-900nm range. My meter showed that the OD rating dropped below 3 around 510 nm, that should NEVER have happened since those goggles have a OD5+ rating for that region. Another server member on Styro’s Discord (puppi) posted a pic where a 505 nm laser basically went straight through those goggles while a 532 nm was blocked, confirming my suspicion that the OD of those goggles does go down quite a bit in that region.

I contacted Gary and gave him the data, because it seemed like a serious issue, but the response was rather underwhelming. I asked for an OD vs wavelength chart multiple times (that got ignored), and he admitted that he didn’t have the means to test them. Apart from that, nothing happened.

I contacted the manufacturer EagleView and gave them the data, because it seemed like at least some of there goggles had massive safety flaws and didn’t meet their specifications (they let more than 100x more light through than their OD rating suggested). Never heard from them again.

I started to reach out to chem/pharmaceutical labs with spectrophotometers to get my goggles tested by an independent 3rd party. My spectrophotometer (LKB Ultrospec Pro) is rather old and uncalibrated, and I wanted data from a calibrated instrument before I published anything. Turns out that you need rather specialized equipment to test goggles above OD3, and I didn’t want to pay a couple hundred bucks to a proper DAkkS certified laser lab.

That brought the “measure the EP OD” project to a stop, until another guy from Styro’s Discord, Spirit, measured his own pair of EaglePair 15-4 IR goggles on a calibrated spectrophotometer in a laser lab. Those have a OD7+ rating for 680-1100 nm, but he measured a transmittance (!!!) of over 1%, starting at 1050 nm and growing to roughly 5% at 1100ish. Those goggles should let less than 0.00001% of the light through, but their measured optical density is not even 0.5 for the main Nd YAG 1064 nm wavelength.

And that fact is why I’m writing this: It is extremely bad if OD5+ rated goggles dip below OD3 for some wavelengths (where you need somewhat obscure high power lasers to get into the "danger zone"), but if goggles with a OD7+ rating don’t even reach OD1 FOR THE MAIN Nd:YAG WAVELENGTH, it is catastrophic to say the least. This is not excusable. I wanted to publish my findings in a more controlled way once I got confirmation from a 3rd party lab, but I needed to address the launch of the EP 15-4 on the SL website.

Styropyro made a video a few years ago where he tested different laser goggles and recommended EaglePair goggles, he took that video down until we have more test results and know if we can trust the OD ratings of EaglePair goggles.

Even the manufacturer doesn’t seem to know their OD ratings, they list the EP 15-4 as “OD7+ 680-1100 nm”, yet their own site (bj-jjhy.com/index.html) lists an OD of 6 for 694 nm Ruby lasers. What is it then? OD7+ or OD5+?

About their "CE ratings": Those aren't "proper" CE ratings where the certification lab tests the product, those are so called voluntary certificates (check the bottom of the lab reports). The CE cert lab doesn't test products for this "certification light", they demand test results from the manufacturer and just make sure that what the manufacturer claims on the product is also in the manufacturers test report. But they DO NOT check if the test report from the manufacturer, for their own products is legit. You give them a test report that states OD10+ and you print OD10+ on your goggles? They won't check if your goggles are actually OD10+ or if you just made that up.

@Garoq: I would highly appreciate it if you could add real data in the form of OD v wavelength charts from independent labs to the discussion to settle this simple question: Are my EaglePair laser goggles safe to use and do they meet their specifications?

Because right now, the answer to that question seems to be “probably not”.

I have attached the data from my measurements, a screenshot from Spirit’s measurement of the EP 15-4 in a laser lab, a picture of a 50ish mW 505 and 532 diodes going through EP goggles (thanks puppi for the pic) as well as my full mail conversation with Gary where I told him about my findings so you can validate my claims. The first mail to Gary (with the full data) went out on the 23.2.2021.
I am currently on the road and will post a more detailed response soon. Be aware that posting libelous statements about an individual or company is a crime punishable by law.

Giannis_TDM

I am currently on the road and will post a more detailed response soon. Be aware that posting libelous statements about an individual or company is a crime punishable by law.
Be aware that false advertising and or bloating product specifications or outright mislabeling them is also punishable by law and in the subject of PPE will even be considered a more serious charge. Furthermore, Last time I checked independent testing of a product offered by a company and sharing of said testing results wasn't against the law.