Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

styropyro's FS Thread: Lab Style lasers! 180mW 473nm, 1W 460nm, 400mW 532nm

rhd

Re: styropyro's FS Thread: Lab Style lasers in 460nm >1W, 473nm, 532nm

You have more of these 460s?

Yeah I have more 460nm modules now and no rhd did not win the eBay auction.

rhd

Nope, didn't win it. I stopped bidding at around $90.

Someone bought it, and hopefully they'll tell us what they end up with. $250 is too much for a binned Nichia diode. And if it's something else, we'll find out soon enough.

Got my 463 (460) laser yesterday and powered it up just a few minutes ago. Very nice. Very different than my other >1W 445's for sure. Side by side there is a HUGE difference in beam intensity. The beam quality is much better too. Color is definitely less violet with the 463....I would call it a sapphire shade of blue or very close. I love it and am very pleased. Thank you for an excellent deal. Soon the LaserBee USB will give up it's data. I plan to post a couple of side by side beam shots as well when I get the time.
Jeff

Last edited:

I'm glad you like the laser! 460nm is IMO about the closest to true blue, with time I see 460nm replacing 445nm in projector applications with it's definite increase in visibility.

Re: styropyro's FS Thread: Lab Style lasers! 470mW + 700mW 532nm, 473nm, 460nm

I got a couple green lasers on hand now, I have a green laser (lab style) that sits between 690mW-710mW that I'd let go for $470 and I have another that sits around 470mW that I'd let go for $390. They are analog modulated and plug and play.

Oh man, the naughty things I would do for that 473nm :p

I miss mine :(

rhd

So, do we finally have these things spectrometer'd ?

What's left for sale here? I'll be in the market for 1W+ of green and one of these ~460nm modules in about 2 weeks or so.. I'm just waiting on payment for services rendered.

So, do we finally have these things spectrometer'd ?
I haven't had any of these spectrometer'd.

What's left for sale here? I'll be in the market for 1W+ of green and one of these ~460nm modules in about 2 weeks or so.. I'm just waiting on payment for services rendered.

I just updated the thread a bit. Here's what I currently have for sale (all new, analog modulated):
1W 650nm
1.6W 532nm
1W 460nm
180mW 473nm
440mW 532nm

Here's my stuff listed on feeBay: GREEN Laser Systems, BLUE Laser Systems items in DA-Lasers store on eBay!
I'll give you a discount over the prices there to avoid eBay fees.

ARG

I just updated the thread a bit. Here's what I currently have for sale (all new, analog modulated):
1W 650nm

Divergence? Beam size?

I received 473nm Labby #6 from StyroPyro yesterday and just wanted to say THANKS! Transaction went beautifully, it was packed very well, shipped quickly, and exactly as described.

I measured the divergence of this particular laser to be 8.43mRad, and TEM00. If you leave it on a long time until it gets hot, turn it off and let it cool a few min, then turn it back on, it hops to TEM01 (rectangular modes) until everything reaches equilibrium again. I think that is just due to uneven heatsinking within the head. The head stays reasonably cool even with 30min run times, it gets hot to the touch but not too hot for circuitry (~115F). The DC driver board gets VERY hot with a 30min run time though. I'm thinking about getting a large hobby box and mounting the DC driver and PSU boards in it with forced air cooling.

Now, I've got to figure out what kind of lens will improve the divergence. I have a spare 405-G-1 lens, but no way to open the head, and no idea if it will fit inside. There are three small allen/hex screws holding on the aperture and PD assembly, and my wrench set doesn't go that small. So, what kind of lens would work on the outsite? I was thinking maybe a plano-concave? I know next to nothing about optics unfortunately.

Last edited:
Sigurthr: I'm glad you like the laser! An AixiZ 405nm glass lens works well to improve divergence from what I've read, you have to drill out the front a bit to set the lens in there though. Some lenses from the C***o projectors work well to improve divergence too if you have any of those sitting around.

Divergence? Beam size?
Divergence : 3mRad
Beam Size @ Aperture : 1.0mmx10.0mm

I opened up the DPSS head yesterday and tried adding the 3element 405 glass lens in various places, but didn't get any satisfactory results. There is a very limited amount of space inside the head for which to mount an additional lens. I don't have the capability to drill out and tap the main aperture to insert the aixiz lens assembly (I'm in an apartment, with only hand tools, no power tools), so I'll look into some external corrective lenses.

As far as using the aixiz lens, at best I was able to get a TEM30 beam with even worse divergence, but the output was definitely brighter. I figured out why as well; inside the head the last stage before the lenses is a non linear crystal inside a plastic housing. This crystal is on a TEC by the way. Anyway, the plastic housing had a small square about 6mm x 6mm with a tiny hole poked through it over the aperture. After removing the square I noticed it is what looks to be a piece of chinese soda can, flattened out. You could see the chinese writing on it. When I removed the pinhole sheet and placed the 3 element lens in front it must have focused in a lot of what the sheet was blocking, enough to clear all apertures/lenses, thus increasing output slightly. The TEM30 beam was ugly and the lens actually made the divergence worse, so I ended up removing it and putting everything back where it belonged, minus the soda can pin hole.

I ended up trying my hand at realigning the nonlinear crystal (with proper IR laser protection on!) but couldn't get it any better than the way you had it, so I put it back where it was and closed it up. My hat is off to you on your realignment job, really well done.

Glad I opened her up anyway though, much brighter without the soda-can-collimator!

rhd

Alright guys - who is interested in one of these "460s" ?

Now that I have a spectrometer, I'm going to order one (purely out of intrigue), but I don't want to keep it. If someone is actually interested in buying one, let me know. I'll purchase it, test it, and then sell it to you at the same price I pay. Basically, free spectrometering.

If these "460s" are real, I'd like to know. But if they are, I still have no need for a labby. So PM me if you were planning to order one.