Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Star Wars Mini light saber key chain host

So I don't ever post, so anything I might do wrong, just let me know. but anyway, I figured I'd start my 2nd ever laser build with one of these babies.

1fbc_lightsaber_keychain_flashlights.jpg

Lightsaber Keychain Flashlights | ThinkGeek

Has anyone else seen these? I think it'll make a great pen and a nice restart point for my laser hobby. What do you guys think? I was probably going to stop by DTR and get an ol 520nm for luke's saber host to start. Comments, Concerns? :beer:

Last edited:

Looks awesome, I plan to use some parts from The Custom Saber Shop at some point, google them.

So I don't ever post, so anything I might do wrong, just let me know. but anyway, I figured I'd start my 2nd ever laser build with one of these babies.

Has anyone else seen these? I think it'll make a great pen and a nice restart point for my laser hobby. What do you guys think? I was probably going to stop by DTR and get an ol 520nm for luke's saber host to start. Comments, Concerns? :beer:

Concerns,

Oddball battery 1.5 volt button cell x3 . Won't last long and VERY small host.

If you are really good, you can probably build a driver and diode into it, but probably not a Aixiz housing and the heatsink will be all but non-existent.

I'd love to see a full size version of a host similar to that on here. But hasn't happened AFAIK.

A simple hostwith a bottom button could also be dropped into a tubing with the attachments added on the outside that might look similar to what you have but bigger.

Either with a F23 size host (about 1/2 " diameter) or a full size host (about 7/8") With a bigger one you could use a full size heat sink and use a more standard recharageable battery.

Last edited:
You can turn down a module if you have to I've done it a couple of times.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice looking little host xenocide. If you're not looking for high power output, you could use a mini 5mW 650nm diode like these HERE.

Here is a LINK that's in that thread to hakzaw's original thread describing these mini diodes.

Edit - These are also focusable, with the focus adjustment screwed all the way in, this module measures aproximately 8mm dia. x 20mm long.

Last edited:
wow that would make a really unique cool host, try it cant hurt :)

I would love to see another lightsaber build :)

A few picture's to get you Guy's going :wave:

9FNSPdL.jpg

CQcpyg5.jpg

PB7iZN7.jpg

APEX1

I don't think this would be a good host for anything over 100mw. battery space, space in general, heat sinking and nothing but plastic.. It looks cool but I would say get something a little bigger and not plastic. If you have it already take it apart and post some pics of what it looks like inside. smeerworst that is bad a**. I want one right nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks for posting that. :drool:

Smeerworst, most AWESOME piece of beautiful work, thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Yeah, what I was most concerned about was space. But, as a keychain I wasn't planning on getting more than 10mw from it, probably stop at 5mw so I can safely use around my friends and animals. Thanks for the tips y'all! I'm currently awaiting the parts but I really want to start a sabre collection. But I think next on my list is my old E-Cig host, i think it'd be "almost" too perfect for a host.
Here's a stock img of what I'd be working with.
Lavatube-2.0-Review.jpg

Thanks again for the feedback!

Last edited:
You could put a 200-300mw red diode in it and run it off a single amc7135, but you would need to make sure the diode isn't case poitive (which a lot of the dvd burner diodes are). Wouldn't have terrifically long run time, but it would be neat :eg:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
xenocide76, that's a good looking unit; how do you think that would look with DTR's le-adapter V1 on it? -Here-

Last edited:
xenocide76, that's a good looking unit; how do you think that would look with DTR's le-adapter V1 on it? -Here-

BALLS MAN! Thats so sweet! I might try that, but I'm fairly certain that the ohm reader/low ohm load protector is fragged so I'll be gutting out this mod!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Glad you like them! DTR's store offers those adapters with the 510 type threaded connection, for about every diode he sells. They simply screw on to most any mod.

Last edited:
Nice looking little host xenocide. If you're not looking for high power output, you could use a mini 5mW 650nm diode like these HERE.

Here is a LINK that's in that thread to hakzaw's original thread describing these mini diodes.

Edit - These are also focusable, with the focus adjustment screwed all the way in, this module measures aproximately 8mm dia. x 20mm long.

Great idea and will fit perfect in the saber keychain host and easy to wire up.

You could put a 200-300mw red diode in it and run it off a single amc7135, but you would need to make sure the diode isn't case poitive (which a lot of the dvd burner diodes are). Wouldn't have terrifically long run time, but it would be neat :eg:

Aixiz housing won't fit in this saber keychain. So it would get hot in a few seconds and melt the plastic. Would take a great deal of work to get a metal casing inside the plastic and support a 5.6mm diode, IMHO

Last edited: