Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spyder III Krypton Laser – Power Readings and Battery Current Draw

@Jay - That could actually be very good news.

Can you try one last thing.. and only if you can defocus the laser so as not to damage goggles... put goggles in the beam path in from of the lpm thermopile. See if LPM picks up anything. Considering the output it should pick up 1-2mW of green, anything else will be IR.

Usually when doing this I also move the goggles around in from of the sensor so as not to keep the beam on the same spot for any amount of time.

I'm not sure you could consider it "under spec." After all, it is advertised as "500-1000mW" if you care enough to read the specs. We already know that the "1W" is just a maximum. WL's target demographic is primarily teens and young adults that have less than basic knowledge of lasers. They won't know the difference between 500mW and 1000mW of green light. Hell - you could probably give them 300mW and they would still believe it's 1W. :shhh:

And Jay, I second the IR test. In case you didn't notice, I suggested a couple more methods of testing to be sure of the IR content:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/s...gs-battery-current-draw-66856.html#post961977

Lol, if you recall I was actually the first one to point to the specs on this thread... on the WL website. What they are doing though is VERY deceptive imho. If they advertised it as a >500mW laser instead, it would be a different story.

You're 100% right about kids not being able to tell apart a 300mW green from a 1W though, especially if all they have for comparison is an arctic, or other lasers from WL. Hell before I got an LPM and some more powerful lasers, I was pretty confident that the 80mW green laser I had was actually 150mW:eek:

Last edited:

jayrob

Well, I have it focused to my liking, and really would rather not mess with the focus just for another IR test. I have shown a couple of different IR tests...

I really don't think it's too bad with IR leakage... (if any)

I'm not sure you could consider it "under spec." After all, it is advertised as "500-1000mW" if you care enough to read the specs. We already know that the "1W" is just a maximum. WL's target demographic is primarily teens and young adults that have less than basic knowledge of lasers. They won't know the difference between 500mW and 1000mW of green light. Hell - you could probably give them 300mW and they would still believe it's 1W. :shhh:

@Jay, I second the IR test. In case you didn't notice, I suggested a couple more methods of testing to be sure of the IR content:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/s...gs-battery-current-draw-66856.html#post961977
Depending on the IR filter used, you could potentially lose quite a bit of power from the 532nm beam. I have two filters. One is from CNI and passes 99% 532nm and blocks 99.9% 808nm+1064nm (according to them) and the other is from a digital camera. This one passes about 90% 532nm and blocks 100% 808nm (so far as I can measure).

P.S. Despite the overwhelming negativity in this thread, all that matters is that you are happy with it. ;)

Yes I did see your earlier post and just didn't act on it until now...

Thanks for the input, and you are right. Even with all the negativity, I still think it's an awesome laser and I like it! :) (as long as it lasts)

@Jay, are you sure it stabilizes at 700-730? I question this because the website states it regulated HEAT by decreasing output. So incidentally, it should start out on high power and then drop slowly... or soemthing like that.

Pardon if it is already mentioned or if I necroposted.

DTR

Have been thinking about this.

Would this be a good way to get an accurate reading on IR. Have two of the same ir filters. Measure the lasers output with one filter in place and then take a measurement with two in place. Then add the difference between the first reading and the second reading to the first for actual 532 light? As all the IR should be gone through the first filter and any loss on through the second filter should be 532 right?:thinking:

Last edited:
Have been thinking about this.

Would this be a good way to get an accurate reading on IR. Have two of the same ir filters. Measure the lasers output with one filter in place and then take a measurement with two in place. Then add the difference between the first reading and the second reading to the first for actual 532 light? As all the IR should be gone through the first filter and any loss on through the second filter should be 532 right?:thinking:

I'm confused... how would using two filters help:confused:

One of the problems is no matter how good, any IR filter will block out some of the green light.

Ideally two tests would be great, since there is already a baseline of the way is the laser is now...

Test one... use IR blocking filter.

Test two... use 532nm blocking filter.

Personally I prefer to test through decent goggles to block out 532nm, because ultimately I want to know how much makes it through my goggles in case of accidents.

DTR

Well if one filter is say blocking 5% of the 532 then I am assuming you run the beam through a second filter then you would be blocking 10%.(Actually another 5% of the beam coming out of the first filter so it may be more likely be a slightly higher percentage of the total than 10% but close) That way you can get an idea of how much 532 is being blocked and add that to the reading with one filter. Make sense.;)

Last edited:
Well if one filter is say blocking 5% of the 532 then I am assuming you run the beam through a second filter then you would be blocking 10%.(Actually another 5% of the beam coming out of the first filter so it may be more likely be a slightly higher percentage of the total than 10% but close) That way you can get an idea of how much 532 is being blocked and add that to the reading with one filter. Make sense.;)

Thought that's what you meant but wasn't sure:p

jayrob

@Jay, are you sure it stabilizes at 700-730? I question this because the website states it regulated HEAT by decreasing output. So incidentally, it should start out on high power and then drop slowly... or soemthing like that.

Pardon if it is already mentioned or if I necroposted.

I did not test for any runs longer that 1 minute, so I don't know how much fluctuation there will start to be...

It did fluctuate down to maybe 690mW's, but then would come back up to over 720mW's...

Jez006

I wish people would stop giving this company money and they just quietly dissapeared.

Ripped me off 2 or 3 years ago and same story now it seems.

Hope it lasts,

Jez

I did not test for any runs longer that 1 minute, so I don't know how much fluctuation there will start to be...

It did fluctuate down to maybe 690mW's, but then would come back up to over 720mW's...

Would you be willing to do a 5 minute test? I'll be shocked if it's still +500mW at the end.

jayrob

Sorry, but I have always had a habit of using a 1 minute duty or less...

I'm not about to go against that habit with the most powerful green hand held that I have just because they claim that it is continuous duty...

Jayrob supports what I have always said about pointers. Pointers and labbies are two different animals. A pointer is just that and one minute on cells is enough. If you need more than that, get a labbie.
HMike

daguin

Sorry, but I have always had a habit of using a 1 minute duty or less...

I'm not about to go against that habit with the most powerful green hand held that I have just because they claim that it is continuous duty...

Good plan ;) (Mainly for the reason Mike posted below)

Jayrob supports what I have always said about pointers. Pointers and labbies are two different animals. A pointer is just that and one minute on cells is enough. If you need more than that, get a labbie.
HMike

The lighter the body, the shorter the burn time

Peace,
dave

For anyone getting a Krypton, Remember that Steve ships these with the "training" lens installed! It seems like you got a 250 mW laser until you remove that and put in the 100% front dust lens. Use the goggles, Luke............

HMike

To what level have we sunk?

We do not expect to get what was advertised and are ecstatic if it is higher than we thought it might actually do

"I knew that they were lying to me"
"I expected only 50% of their promise"
"I am very pleased that it wasn't as bad as I expected"
"Oh Yeah -- 11% of the output is IR"

Peace,
dave

So true.

Good point Dave...

Maybe I should have inserted: (since I only traded some lenses, I am happy with 730mW's)

You did more than trade some lenses. You put your reputation behind their product. People look to you for guidance, quality, and honesty. These are the things you traded for the laser, and IMO WL got the better of the deal by far. Dave couldn't have spoken truer words.