Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Solid Brass 638nm - Code Name "Frankie" (Pic Heavy)!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
"FRANKIE"

Q3ZVPgR.jpg

It lives! A charge from the ole electrodes, and Bam, good to go!​

This project started out as six assorted host parts that were originally from two doner hosts that Len (Hakzaw) had given me along with a box of various other "goodies".
If you've ever bought anything, or dealt with Len, you know about his extras. :)
After speaking with Len, I learned that these nice brass hosts were donated to him by Chuck at AixiZ, and that they were the last of some old stock.
Len also left me with a question, can you come up withsomething which will work with a regular common size Li-Ion cell?

The original design looked as if it may have used a small 14250ish sized cell, and didn't lend itself in either length or inside diameter to a larger battery.

With a bit of trial & error, and a lot of part modifications, this little solid brass beauty came together pretty nicely!
With all of the modified and borrowed parts used, this host reminds me of "Frankenstein", but this little thing is too small and good looking to be called that, so I've dubbed it "Frankie". :yh:

Len is fond of this host because of it's hefty feel for its small size; it's constructed of very thick brass throughout.
I tried to maintain this feel in my modified version, so I machined a minimal amount out of it to accomodate a 14500 cell, still fairly small but a standard size, and enough for the 120mW 638nm diode that I used.

List of Components:

• Brass Host (Unknown Brand or Origin).
  • Aluminum Heatsink.
  • 14500 AW Battery
  • Fiber Washer, Battery Contact Springs, Nylon Spring Guide.
  • Opnext/Oclaro 120mW Single Mode 638nm Diode w/ Nano Buck/Boost Driver.
  • Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound, & Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive.

Dimensions & Weight:

• 18.80mm Diameter.
  • 122mm Length.
  • 163g w/battery (5.75oz.)

Measured Power Output:

• 3 Element lens = 162mW.
  • G-2 Lens = 230mW.

And now for some photos and descriptions of this project. :cool:

The beginning - What to make with it? :thinking:
Pieces from both hosts, showing both ends of each piece. Note the extra thick host design.
Jh5jfdD.jpg

The original host (assembled), with scale for size.
SpiRGCg.jpg

Disassembled, with the original driver/module.
C0I4rc9.jpg

I removed the driver and pressed off the threaded adapter which was epoxied on to the diode module so that I could save the adapter for re-use.
Jlo2PBM.jpg

The adapter needed to be bored out to 12mm for a slip fit on the aluminum back half of DTR's module.
xftNRFf.jpg

Complete module with fitted adapter shown as it fits into the front host piece.
0RBYS5z.jpg

Both of the hosts front pieces screwed back to back. The second piece will be modified to gain the needed extra length for the 14500 cell.
Il610Oj.jpg

Preliminary positioning to determine length of extension.
jGfDkbw.jpg

Sized and threaded extension piece.
MmxRK9Z.jpg

Diode and module with driver and added battery spring. Driver has been epoxied to module for stability.
Epoxy has also been added to protect spring from possible shorts on driver electrical connections.
Ed5kaQT.jpg

I've added a nylon sleeve to the shortened module to protect against shorting to the host battery tube.
pH1bTmw.jpg

Original tail switch contact, and modded tail cap showing added battery contact spring and insulating washer.
waCewtd.jpg
c5Zw1DJ.jpg

Disassembled tail cap and switch, in preperation for re-using it as a focus adapter. The original unit was fixed focus and had no focus abilities.
B5KEaBH.jpg

A few thin washers were needed to provide sufficient focus adjustment travel.
fG1F8X1.jpg

Rear end of battery tube showing label with proper polarity.
hQbYJGL.jpg

Finished and polished host components.
3YdsONB.jpg

CT6hjWt.jpg

"Frankie" is finally finished.
cja9A70.jpg

vdVWBSf.jpg

fj8hRoh.jpg

• Thanks to Len (Hakzaw) for the challenge, and the raw parts to start with! :beer:
• Thanks also to Chuck at AixiZ for providing these units to Len; without him, this wouldn't have been possible.
• Thanks again to DTR for another quality diode/module.

That's all folks, thanks for hanging in there! :D

Comments, suggestions, and critiquing all are welcome! :D

Last edited:

Great job putting all those parts together, looks like that took a good amount of planning! Creative name as well :D

I saw one of these switches in your picture, I'm no stranger to them... Man, are they tiny and hard to work with.

$_1.JPG

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thank you everybody for your great comments and support! :beer:

@EP - That switch in your pic looks like the one in this build for sure. The switch in my pic is the extra that I removed from the second tailcap so that I could re-purpose it into the focus adapter.
I'll hold on to it in case I need a spare.

Gabe

Incredible build,
You're very skilled!
I love the step by step.
That host has me floored,
You deserve a reward;
but first I need to spread rep.

Another very nice build Mr. BowtieGuy. :beer:

I really like the look that the black grooves against the rest of the polished areas gives it.
Very thorough pictures of the build process, I know on all of my attempts I forget to take many pictures of the steps and have to "fake" some of the pics.

94Z28

Wow Frankie is beautiful, I have an ex with that name but I'd sure like to spend some time with that red headed Frankie. :drool:

Now make me one! Lol

Pman

That is a beaut and it looks absolutely fantastic. I always have to prepare myself before looking at one of your builds as build envy attacks my brain:) Did a great job laying the build out and the pics are superb per usual. Instructional builds are my favorite as we gather pics and tell a story that (almost always) has a happy ending. Must feel good to get to use your job skills for something other than work. This is one of those builds that you could use an acrylic lens and get an output between the 3 and G although with something this nice I don't think I could do it.
Of course I can't rep you again yet but no surprise there. Has Len actually seen it yet?

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Incredible build,
You're very skilled!
I love the step by step.
That host has me floored,
You deserve a reward;
but first I need to spread rep.

@Gabe - You've just been designated our resident poet! Thanks for the rhyme. :)

@Mattronium - Yes that black turned out looking pretty good, it was just kind of left over when I started polishing the host, so I left it as is!

@paul - Thank you sir!

@Z - You've got to watch out for those redheads, you could get burned! :D

@Pman - Thanks for your usual great comments, sorry for any build envy. ;)
You've given me plenty of rep, and yes, Len has seen it.

Beautiful build Jeff !
Love the pics too, thanks for sharing this.
Can't rep you again atm so I owe you one.

RB
:beer: