Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ridiculously Overpowered 445nm Leadlight

wheedy

Howdy :wave:

Not too long ago (like, 2 weeks ago) I discovered the wonderful leadlight pen host. I know, I know. I'm way late to the party. But the party doesn't start till it gets dark!

So, I decided to make one.

I contacted Jayrob for the build kit (love the host, man!) and Flaminpyro for a focus adapter just like RA_pierce's in his 660nm pen he sold here. Then I ordered one of those fancy X-Switch drivers made by Lazeerer from Clif at Cajunlasers and an M140 off of DTR.

I mistimed my order and delivery dates for when I was going on spring break vacation, and I had my packages all waiting for me an entire week before I was back and able to build. It was a very long week! It also goes without saying that building in a pen host is difficult.... And it really is. There is really next to no room to work with inside there!

Normally I would have taken pictures of my build throughout the entire process detailing every step, but I was in a rush to finish this before my 1:25 class. :D

My build is going to be case positive, since that is how the X-Switch is designed. I soldered my positive and negative leads of the diode to the driver, and the case pin to the v+ input on the driver. The brass body of the host completes the circuit between the positive end of my batteries and the new positive input of the copper module.

Not too far down the road, however, I ran into a problem with the X-Switch.... The button randomly fell apart. No matter, I had an identical momentary button I swapped in to replace it.
ld4bEOY.jpg

Then, I took some hard foam I had laying around and taped a piece to the top and bottom parts of the driver to keep it in place inside the host. I wrapped the whole thing (minus the button) in hockey tape on the outer layer for a good tight grip in the host to prevent slippage. It looks nasty, but it works very well and you won't ever see it.

The finished product!
1DB6I5l.jpg

1QbQbR1.jpg

2NmpJOF.jpg

Now, you might be wondering a little about my thread title.
Well, here's why:
RTsHw3e.jpg

APRfzc1.jpg

XiDhTaJ.jpg

Sg2tXiD.jpg

bcH7vfg.jpg

The X-Switch inside it is set at 1.25 amps. :D
I don't have an LPM so I can't meter this, but I very much need one. Power is definitely well over 1 watt.
Of course, with this power and hilariously small amount of heatsinking, the duty cycle is a maximum 20 seconds on 45 seconds off for it to get a little warm and cool down again. I built this for momentary use, so I won't have a problem with heat that often.

If anyone is a reasonable distance to/from Waco or Houston, drop me a PM. I have quite a few lasers I need to meter. ;)

that host and focus ring look so good together. i was going to buy the 660nm pen but someone scooped it up before me ;)

wheedy

Update!

I focused the laser to infinity, then used thermal epoxy to hold it all in place for everlasting infinity focus.

Great build thread, Weedy! +1!

Now that I'm satisfying my need for MASSIVE hosts, it's time to do a little pen build...they'll never see me coming!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice review, and a Great build!
I don't know how I missed seeing this for a month and a half. :thinking:
I've been wanting to do a pen like this since I read about RA_pierce's beauties .
Thanks for adding all the links :yh:, I wasn't even aware of the "X-switch" driver.
Time to start ordering some parts!

A +1 for a great build!

Lolvo

Wow! That is some awesome power for such a package. Great build

wheedy

Thanks for all the great comments everyone!

This little guy was a blast to make, and showing it off to people really blew their minds to see so much power in such a little package.