Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Register your drone

This is an over-reach of power. If a company decides they want to have pre-programmed No-Fly zones... that is fine by me. A law saying you can't use them within a certain distance of an airport... makes sense. Making everyone "register" their quadcopter (which is NOT a drone) is asinine. I agree we should make "Drone" owners Register and Notify the public when they fly DRONES over us. A drone is identified as having AUTONOMOUS FLIGHT. While some may have a "return to home" feature, this is not indicative of a quadcopter or tri-copter or Hexacopter. There is a very large difference in what can be done with a DRONE and a Hobbist's "Toy". Should there be penalties for being stupid with it? Of course. Should I have to register it, not a chance. I'm not required to register my guns, I sure as shit shouldn't be required to register a toy.

Don't be surprised if they start puting RFID tags in them so the police can drive down the street and be able to tell where all of them are, they could even require RFID tags in the parts to detect the people that build their own.

Alan

Last edited:
There are various reasons to register your drone, but I think the one they are most worried about are weaponized drones which will come in the future, but don't worry, only outlaws will fail to register!

Don't be surprised if they start puting RFID tags in them so the police can drive down the street and be able to tell where all of them are, they could even require RFID tags in the parts to detect the people that build their own.

Alan

Don't be surprised that cops can now literally peek through walls, without a warrant :)

The NYPD's X-Ray Vans - The Atlantic

That of course doesn't touch on other well known technologies like thermal imaging :D

RFID chips are also becoming far far smaller, more efficient, and most importantly so cheap, and durable, that we're likely to start seeing them incorporated in practically everything.

One high end retailer dream - have customers walk in, pick up what they want, and leave the store, all without EVER talking to anyone, or going through a checkout lane. No need. Your chipped credit card will be billed for the goods you carry out. end of story. Sounds like a convenience dream. Want to buy something naughty, no one need ever know :p

Except of course there is nothing to prevent someone else from scanning what you just picked up, or tracking your phone, or credit card, and so on.

Davidx

You guys were right. It was on the network "news" tonight. The government wants to register your drones. Didn't really want one till tonight.

Last edited:
i'm not against this. drones can be a major hazard for aircraft, and a massive invasion of privacy.

You guys were right. It was on the network "news" tonight. The government wants to registrar your drones. Didn't really want one till tonight.

I just heard this story on the radio the second time today, they also said that more than a million are expected to be sold durring the holiday season. I wouldn't be surprised if the number sold will now be twice that.:crackup:

Alan

I wouldn't be surprised if the number sold will now be twice that.:crackup:

Alan

Guess what's on my shopping list? ;)

Actually what really caught my interest as drones go, is the potential to pair them with something like the oculus rift, and a good camera for an immersive flight experience. There are quite a few drone racing videos already on youtube, and they make ground based RC cars appear positively boring by comparison.

Just saw on GMA all drones are going to have to be registered by Christmas. Not surprised.

I told everyone this would happen.
First serial numbers
Next certain drones just like NFA Title II firearms will require fingerprinting.

Here is the drone I want! 20+ hour time aloft! And, unlike your copters...this one can reach out and touch someone!

However, in consideration of my avatar, this is more my speed. There is another guy who build one with whom I have corresponded. These fly under a whole other set of rules. Forget flying them anywhere around where I live lol

This is really my kind of reach out and touch someone....and quickly:crackup::crackup:

It won't be long that before they release you from prison, they will give you a GPS tracker chip implant!

It won't be long that before they release you from prison, they will give you a GPS tracker chip implant!

I think implant based is practically inevitable. There are actually a lot of positives to this imo... identity theft prevention (for the most part) ability to no longer require possession of ID/License, credit card, etc,. to pay.

But, BUT, there must be protections in place with regards to people's privacy as well. This is where the law is lagging too far behind, and unfortunately while the technology is moving ahead, we're still stuck in a 1980's or earlier legal sense, where privacy is concerned.

The 4th amendment needs to be redefined to encompass our digital lives... something that I can't see happening when our judiciary is composed of practically literal dinosaurs, and laws to reduce protections are being pushed by lobbyists.

:scowl:Nobody will every chip me!

They'll give you a card with a chip, or wrist band instead. Our passports and licenses are already being chipped btw. Now it's just a matter of time until we're required to have an ID at ALL times. You can bet it will also become a crime to alter or obfuscate the reading of said chips.:undecided: