Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radim's laser painting

Radim

Sure, Oliver. I'm sure we will have a very nice discusion. ;)

Radim

Thanks and you are welcome, ArcticDude. It is a great honor being inspiration for you. :)

Radim

Dynamic soul

The souls are dynamic and change by views and time.
This majestic tree welcomes those who enter the forest. Its wide branches perform the magic of light and shadows.

Enjoy this series of four laserpaintings of single tree.

Real laserpainting photos, no computer graphics.
(For higher resolution click on the image.)

Note for LPF:

Yes, the deer was there in the bushes. Not far, but luckily he looked after himself as I kept my 800 mW greenie handy. :D

And I have just started to use a hashtag #laserpointerforums on Instagram and Facebook, to promote LPF more. Please use it as well to laser related stuff you post on social media. Thank you.

This idea was inspired by CurtisOliver, thanks man. ;)

Hey Radim.
Very nice! I especially like the last one. Your use of yellow in this one is very soothing to me. I do not see any hints of 473 is these?

Radim

Thanks, Bruce. You are absolutely correct. 473 nm is not there yet. These shots were taken about 2 weeks ago, I just did not have time to process and publish them. There were 405 nm, 445 nm, two 532 nm, 589 nm and 635 nm lasers used. I was thinking about this tree long time and observed it from many angles. When I got to place, made just 4 photos searching for one I'll use. But when I came home, I noticed the process of changing views and painting captured a kind of dynamic developement of my mind and that tree soul at that time. I felt an interconnection and communication between myself and the tree in the time I was there, what I liked so much and I realized to use all photos as series. The last one was considered more like experiment with diffraction grating and composition play to get parallel beams, but it turned as nice finish of that series. I'll definitely come back to this one to have more pics.

I have one more artwork without 473 nm to publish yet. This laser came to me on Wednesday and weather is too rainy here, therefore no laserpainting with it yet. Just various tests. But I have a very nice idea for artwork where it will fit perfectly, I just need to find how to perform the way I want to use it as best. The idea is in my mind about almost one month and composition is very complicated to perform, therefore I have to be ready for that to get desired results.

However I'm amazed how narrow (about 1 mm) the beam of that 473 nm is and it seems to me the divergence is quite a lot below 1 mrad. I was searching and confirming right position of focus ring to get infinity for some time and that result is incredible. In about of 3-4 meters distance I cannot say the dot is larger depending on distance just by looking at it without ruler (observing it via my Univet goggles). I could do some measurments, but I think it is not necessary as I'm happy with it.

And one more thing - the threads around the aperture are exactly the same as in my Evo laser - therefore I can use its lens caps with it. And as I have also BE and the adapter is composed from three parts to get it aligned with beam position, I can use just remove the part in the middle and with piece of duct tape use also other optics caps for Spyders.

Based on this I also realized I can use universal adapter of DL BE to mount it on output side and fit these optics even for use with my Spartan. So far I used kind of solution with a piece of black paper I wrapped around it to protect the output lens of BE from dust and other mess and I mounted optics at the end of it with duct tape. Not very convenient, but I can use that adapter now.

It is a pitty I did not get two expanded lens kits for Evo earlier. If I was about to order it now it costs 29 bucks but with 25 bucks of shipping. I have complete Spyder collection with optics, Evo, Laserdock from them, just beam expander was not available at moment of my last order, but it seems too expensive to me anyway. So nothing to get from them to make this shipping cost reasonable. Not even Nano lasers - even they look good, but if I go for something like this I would have selected likely Sanwu pocket series as these (however all diode lasers, no 532 nm DPSS) are IMO just awesome - powerful enough and good to have in travel laserpainting handbag with a little rainbow for laserpainting on places, where usual gear is too complicated and bulky to have and handle (like city parks etc.). That would be different dimension.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Absolutely stunning photos yet again, thank you for sharing your wonderful laser art with us! :beer:
:kewlpics:

Radim

Thank you very much, BowtieGuy. I really appreciate when you are enjoying it. This is the best reward for me. ;)

I didn't see this thread earlier. It seems your laser painting has gotten much better, Radim. + rep.

Last edited:

Ricker

So unbelievably beautiful!! This truly is a work of art I would love to hang on my walls of my laser shop someday! :D

Radim

Thanks guys. Your feedback is very appreciated. I'm still learning and experimenting with it. Trying new is something awesome, as I'm always surprised how the light might be shaped and especially lasers are so unique in this. ;)

Radim

And the laserpainting from last week, before my new 473 nm laser came...

The fallen star in the forest

Copainted with Robin, a very nice night trip in the forest.

Real laserpainting photo, no computer graphics.

And a story for LPF:

I've had just returned from business trip abroad that Saturday, the weather was good and me and my friend decided to take our cameras and go to the night forest for some shots, talks etc. It was the first time somebody was with me during laser painting, therefore I needed to be even more careful. We started our trip just after sunset and I've had just realized how convenient it is to ride a bike compared to carrying heavy backpack full of laserpainting stuff and other necessary things. We waited on my favourite place till the dark covers the forest and had a nice talk about what we were going to do.

Firstly we went through some places and searched for the right one to take the pics. It takes some time to make all lasers, tripods, cameras and other accesories ready, also right composition, making safety procedures etc. We get to the edge of the forest, where a cementary is neighbouring. There was such a beautiful tree we tried to capture, however the lamp nearby was overexposing it too much, therefore I'll not publish it yet. Just to mention, the tree was just next to the wall surrounding the cementery, out of it, I was not really about to take any shots there and disturb the piece of that place. However the safety check was quite funny. Even it was deep night, I was worried somebody might be still there or at least some CCTV camera might be damaged by accidental hit. We went through every place of the cementary and looked carefully, no CCTV and nobody there - in other words "everywhere dead" (or "all dead") - well, in my language it sounds better as it express noone is there as well. :D We have made some shots and spent some time waiting for aircrafts to pass, but no success, however my friend fisheye lens did a nice job.

Then we moved to the second place deeper in the forest and copainted a few shots. To add - we heared to me well known deer shouting somewhere far... So a bit of that scary feeling was with m, I told my friend why I was so aware of that beast (and if you do not know, you can find link to my story with it in opening post of this thread). Our last attempt was using 589 nm with diffraction gratting facing just in the direction of cameras - well quite complicated composition, but we stayed safe and this is what come out of my camera. My friend's pics with fish eye I might add later after his given permission. And good thing - if you have somebody using similar camera - you might share batts etc. :D

After this exposure we took another walk around and finally we just sat on some places and enjoyed nice atmosphere of calm night forest illuminated just by stars having another long philoshophy talks.

We returned home around 2 am next morning and it was a nice experience I believe for both of us. So many thanks to Robin for being there with me.

BobMc

Picturesque, wow, the soul of the tree. Awesome, :thanks: :gj:

Sound like you had a really nice outing, with those pictures you earned it. Forests are so nice at night, love the sites and sounds, so peaceful. :)

Last edited:

Radim

Thank you very much, Bob. I know I repeat myself, but I really appreciate your feedback. Such an motivation makes me create more and discover new methods and perception of unique laser light.

Regarding souls and surreal world I describe, wait for the following laserpainting I just created today. It looked very nice on camera LCD and I spent a lot of time of trials, thinking and spent hours on studying the scene by many visits on the spot as well as studying it as a homework. It took me about month I guess, so I really hope I got the painting exactly how I planned. Let's see after I process it from RAW. Some art is about to be done yet on it (processing, name and caption). However I have it in my head already. And yes, I have a long story behind the scenes as usual dedicated for LPF. Maybe I include some tips and tricks and interesting stuff I noticed and experienced during my night crawls in the forest.

I learned a lot when working on it and it might be worth and share my experience with others here to inspire them and contribute even more. ;)

Last edited:

Ricker

Can't wait to see it, Radim!! Beyond excited! :bowdown::bowdown:

Radim

And finally, the first artwork with my new 473 nm 100 mW Jet Lasers PL-E Pro... ;)

The Surreal World

What do I mean when speaking about the Surreal World, the world of dreams, the world of souls? This laserpainting is about that. As you know we are composed of atoms and these are composed of elementary particles. These elementary particles behave a very strange way described by laws of quantum mechanics. At this scale and even if we go to smaller sizes the quantum mechanics world takes the starring role.

Current science is struggling with joining both views of small and large in united theory of everything, but I do it through the art. I see the Surreal World as a main essence of reality and it is in deed hidden in quantum mechanics.

Now imagine that every particle carries a little bit of soul as they create larger and more complex structures and evolve even to living things like individual cells, trees and organisms, the souls become more complex and go to the level of consciousness and self reference. Take a deeper look on human brain, the most complex structure in known universe. The processes happening there are not only electric pulses happening in neuronal network. More complex rules apply and include quantum mechanics - this is where we go. The reality is just the perceived projection of the surreal world. We live and die, but our souls are infinete and timeless.

Long story short. In this artwork you might notice how I perceive it, the souls of the tree and myself, those which are in the surreal world projects through light bounced of scene and shapen by optics onto camera sensor, where timeless and spaceless surreal world is measured and thus creating reality - the artwork you can see. All my thoughts, perception, my soul, soul of the tree, forest and everything on scene from that time interval of exposure is there on single timeless picture. The sphere links to the seemingly separation of reality and surreal world, but there are many interconnections shown. I'll let on viewer to get his/her point of view from perception of this artwork as many details have been included there to find the meanings described above.

Note: As this artwork is real photo, I left there intentionally some imperfections like dust on sensor, lens etc. to underline its real essence (although they might be noticed only in highest resolution version). Absolutely no computer graphics It is just processed from RAW. Also note that kind of bluriness on the picture is not an imperfection, I call it a laser grain and it is caused by laser light special characteristics and refer to quantum mechanics esence.

And a story for LPF

I was working on this laserpainting about a month. I studied the scene by many visits, thought about the meaning, composition and everything. One of the reasons was I was waiting for my new 100 mW of 473 nm from Jet Lasers. I also took three laserpainiting nights to get several versions of this artwork. I finally selected the one from the last trip, you might like also some of the earlier versions as some show other beautiful and here not used effect I discovered, but I would like to study it, develop it and use it in my further laserpaintings. It is not really easy and might be quite dangerous.

A lot might be experienced in night forest. I meet wild life everywhere. Forest in night is something completely different than during the day. By my night trips I heared a lot of forest sounds and especially to me well known deer (roebuck) was heared by my every night visit when working on this artwork. By the second one I heard him being very angry and from a bit different angle I heard another deer. I was surprised how different voices they had and I could clearly differ them. I think that after I left they had a fight.

By my last trip when I took this picture the deer was at about the same spot, but during my painting he moved from one side of the forest passing my spot just across the creek unnoticed to the other side as I heared them from that direction later. That seems like he is scared of me lasering more than I'm scared from him making noises. Good thing as it made me more confident being there when he is nearby. I still have in front of my eyes my very close experience with him from last summer, when he was about to kick my butt with his antlers and my Evo laser, currently being tested, saved me. Hopefully I'm the greatest beast of the night forest again. :D

Interesting effects, tips & tricks

Jx44Y9M.jpg

And when I was waiting for camera to process the laserpainting, I took a photo with mobile of this nice diffraction pattern I noticed (sorry for quality, but it shows it nicely). There was diffraction grating used to get many beams from my 589 nm. The grating was so called galaxy lens by Wicked Lasers - creating not only horizontal but also vertical dots. One of the dots after diffraction grating (you may notice three other in the background) I projected on a piece of paper and took a picture of the pattern. Note, there is also shape of the gratting projected. All dots look about like this in sufficient distance. Also to mention - I used 2X beam expander just before the grating.

I'm not sure how to interpret this pattern, however it seems to me it might be caused by internal reflections between back and rear grating surface (in case one surface is for horizontal and the other for vertical dots). This seems quite likely to me. I was thinking also about multiline behaviour of 589 nm Spartans, but the temperature was not that low, also about Fresnell's diffraction, but the shape of the pattern is not corresponding to it, or there might be some internal reflections in optics (beam expander), but the intensity and shape of this pattern does not seem to be corresponding to it. Any other ideas?

I need to do more experiments with this, but might be point to be discussed here.

I aslo realized, that 473 nm is great for illumination of sky and making it beautiful blue look. There was clear sky with moonlight, therefore almost no light pollution, but I just wonder if in high light pollution it would create kind of purple/pink look as you might notice where yellow and blue meet. Also it is good to mention, that I noticed, the beam in the air looks very different from the dot of 473 nm. The beam seems to be with blue tint and the dot seems to be with more green tint in it.

And as usuall, there is a heavy laser grain to be noticed especially around the yellow stars, I was trying to reduce it in my laserpainting beginnings, but I've found a beauty in it very soon, as it has higher meaning to me in the artworks. So here it is intentional part of the artwork.

Another effect mentioned above I'll describe when I'll include it in the further artworks I'm thinking about now.

I learned a lot when working on this one therefore no attempt was unsuccessful, as I gained many new ideas. I feel I'm improving and I have more and more ideas. This is likely the most exciting thing on doing laserpainting IMO.

Last edited: