Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quality #18650 Batteries & Charger

So you are saying that using any cell with protection is a bad idea in a laser? Even Sanyo, LG, Panasonic and Samsung cells that are protected?

Sanyo, LG, Panasonic and Samsung DO NOT make "protected cells".

That means you usually have a low-bidder protection circuit board,

sometimes along with a metal connector down the side of the cell.

Those are the parts I don't trust.

Larry

Last edited:

Besides the fact you don't trust the PCB's used on batteries is there any logistical reason not to use protected batteries in lasers?

DTR

Besides the fact you don't trust the PCB's used on batteries is there any logistical reason not to use protected batteries in lasers?

I have seen many protected cells just shut down from the high current draw in units that I have built especially with 445's running high amperage driven by boost drivers that can draw 3A+ from the power source.;)

I tend to avoid protected cells as well unless it is like an AW cell where the protection circuit was designed to allow those discharge rates. They are high quality cells but expensive. If you are really concerned with having protection the AW is what I would suggest. Otherwise the unprotected Sanyo's are my choice for quality cells at a reasonable price.:beer:

Last edited:
I have seen many protected cells just shut down from the high current draw in units that I have built especially with 445's running high amperage driven by boost drivers that can draw 3A+ from the power source.;)

I tend to avoid protected cells as well unless it is like an AW cell where the protection circuit was designed to allow those discharge rates. They are high quality cells but expensive. If you are really concerned with having protection the AW is what I would suggest. Otherwise the unprotected Sanyo's are my choice for quality cells at a reasonable price.:beer:

Thank you. This is what I was trying to find out. I use protected 18650 batteries everyday in flashlights without any problems. I'm only drawing 1.5 amps max.

I avoid the protection circuits because I think they are the most likely item to cause failure in the complete cell assembly.

They also add ~60% more internal resistance to the internal resistance of the cell,

reducing efficiency and power output.

I have used over 500 "name brand" cells for years in demanding applications . . .

without even seeing one of them vent from overpressure.

I have even abused a few to see how they reacted.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

Tman

So just to clarify

445nm = pink or purple Samsung?
552nm. = same question..
on the site they both are labeled low IR
and nop matter what these are kicka$$ batteries

Last edited:
Until yesterday i figured my Turstfire batteries were the normal batteries used.... Larry, you have a shop in town? I might have to buy some batteries and a charger from you next week.

AAlasers;

The Panasonic 3100 mah cell would have plenty of power for your blue laser diode.

Larry

I found a website that sells Genuine AW batteries. AW PR123 750mAh Protected cost $8.99 each and a list of AW IMR Batteries. Of course its on a site for fake cigs. Are they as good as the Panasonic brand batteries?

TacoHerder;

The AW PR123 750mah Protected Battery is most likely NOT a Panasonic cell.

It is half the size of a 18650 . . .

but much less than half the capacity (1550mah).

LarryDFW

mikeox

I know I have the Sanyo batteries that where bought from Larry through another member, and I can say that the batteries are great. I put them in my lasers, and checked the difference between other batteries Trustfires, and other name brand in different lasers on the LPM and the Sanyo's beat every one. I can just imagine these Panasonic's would be the same if not better!

wow im sorry, i thought i saw a 16340 battery made by Panasonic as well.

EDIT: i got a pair of those 18650 Panasonic batteries and they make my flashlight light up real good. Definitely better than the UltraFire ones i have. Now i just gotta hope my charger shows up in before i drain these batteries :)

Last edited:

jordan

Hi, I have heard good things about your business! I ordered a charger from you over the weekend and I am looking forward to receiving it! Thanks :)

jordan

Have e-mailed (Tuesday) and PM'd you (Wednesday) asking for a shipping status.. no word since my payment on Sunday ???

Last edited: