Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Prism to change color of green or violet laser

daguin

The exiting laser beam light would still be 405nm right??

Yes.
It would just be accompanied by the additional light produced by the fluorescence

This is the same effect as when combining laser beams
When you combine a red and a green beam, you don't actually have yellow light
What you have are a red beam and a green beam in the same space
Combining 660nm and 532nm does NOT create 593nm light
It is just that our eye/brain, perceives the light as yellow
It is an optical illusion

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

IsaacT

That is why it is difficult to get a picture of a red/green laser's dot. Looks wierd on my cameras.

He may also be dealing with some fluorescence in the glass of the prism.
The fluorescence would be a different color than the laser beam
The color WOULD NOT come from the laser light though
The "new" color would have been produced by the laser light exciting the electrons in the glass of the prism

Peace,
dave

Thank you very much for your time! That makes perfect sense. I noticed the 405 nm laser did cause different objects to fluoresce too, so why not something in the prism. !Thank you again!

daguin

Thank you very much for your time! That makes perfect sense. I noticed the 405 nm laser did cause different objects to fluoresce too, so why not something in the prism. !Thank you again!

405nm is just 10nm away from what is generally considered to be "Ultra Violet" light

Anything that would glow under long wave UV light (black light) will also glow under the 405nm laser

Finding things that react is one of the fun things about a 405nm laser

Just be mindful of reflection

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Yes.
It would just be accompanied by the additional light produced by the fluorescence

This is the same effect as when combining laser beams
When you combine a red and a green beam, you don't actually have yellow light
What you have are a red beam and a green beam in the same space
Combining 660nm and 532nm does NOT create 593nm light
It is just that our eye/brain, perceives the light as yellow
It is an optical illusion

Peace,
dave

Similar to all the screens we are staring at? Yellow light from an LCD is actually "fake yellow". It's not real yellow light - it is the combination of red & green light - that our brain interprets as yellow.

Interesting!

Things

Correct, I think pretty much all colour display technology operates this way. I can't think of one that doesn't, anyway.

Similar to all the screens we are staring at? Yellow light from an LCD is actually "fake yellow". It's not real yellow light - it is the combination of red & green light - that our brain interprets as yellow.

Interesting!

Correct, I think pretty much all colour display technology operates this way. I can't think of one that doesn't, anyway.

My Sharp tv is RGBY. It has a true dedicated yellow "receptor"

Michael.

Pman

Tried peanut butter... tasted.good:D

Seriously though have to try that. Never really walked around the house with a 405.

This may be in Bshans LINK-

get several highlighters of diff colors (even a drued up ones will do)
fill some clear water bottles and add the 'wick' inside the highlighters
to each- give it some time to tint the water although from the start you will like what you see. ( dont stir- just drop into the water and start lasing with 405)placing side by side looks very nice as the 405 passes thru. also try every other laser you have- A good pic may be something you may want as your avatar too.

When I show my 600 & 500 405s to friends I tell them its laike a blacklight on steriords..

and crack

and meth,,
hit GITD stuff as well

Lol, thanks hak. I knew about highlighters, but not what you suggest in water. Will have to try that.

Oh, i'm way ahead of you on GITD. I've gotten power, paints, GITD sheats, and dyes from Addonex. ;)

Yes, glow powder is the freaking bomb! I'm surprised to not see many glow mods here, esp. since many hosts we use have all sorts of indentations and grooves that would hold some glowpowder + clear epoxy very well.

I used some glow powder on my s4 520nm build (link in sig). I also used it on the focus adapters i got from mohs GB. :D