Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Poll: Get rid of my lasers?

What do with monies?

• Total voters
I've been selling lasers on ebay since Nov. '14, and it always wows people on my resume, but I don't have time for that with the last semester of school and trying to find work.
What would you do? Do I:

Embezzle all my monies and use it for a new graphics card
Build one last laser, 7W
Buy fancy DPSS lasers
Save just a little more, make line of affordable laser hosts
Sell one last round of burning lasers

If it's an ethical question, I might know the right answer. The laser community seems to be slowing down rapidly since you can't buy >5mw lasers as advertised so easily anymore. Kipkay's laser projects were so long ago. There's no hype. Now we're getting back into an era of where you shine your blue laser and people freak out because they thought all lasers were red.

Agreed.

It's a shame, when I first started there were tons of companies to buy from, and the only limiting factor what how much you wanted to spend. Now, it's become much more regulated, half of all good companies are gone and we're stuck with just a few now. Some might not even have what we are looking for :(

I voted buy DPSS lasers. You could start out with 532,473,589,593.5,671 and see where that takes you :yh:

-Alex

Hi ,
I would make some laser hosts for to keep me building and have a flow of income to my finances.

Rich:)

Razako

Get a few of the exotic DPSS wavelengths while you still can. CNI is the only source of these and it's getting harder to acquire them lately. Try for 589/593.5 as a priority.

Pman

You left out:

-Give everything to Pman as he needs more lasers like a hole in the head:)

I voted for a line of affordable laser hosts.

With rumors of Ehgemus leaving the host-making industry here at LPF and sinner leaving, I for the life of me have trouble finding somewhere to get custom hosts... If you do choose to start making custom laser hosts, expect quite an amount of orders with the rarity of custom hosts. Don't be afraid to raise prices high as you wish so that you get a good profit from these hosts and then later be able to spend the profit on other things listed from these options, as long as you do keep them at affordable and attractive prices. :)

^ Exactly what he said. ^
I have thought about getting a lathe myself, I could have drivers made, but they are not running dry as much as host are, I can make my own out of a length of aluminum muffler pipe, but pretty stuff made for easy accommodation of drivers and after optics that are easy for people with minimal tools to use.
I can't believe more people don't want beam shaping optics, it's a world of difference, but I could offer that as an option...and source some decent but affordable beam expanders.......but mostly just build the host, that's an area that's wide open.

Maybe have a series II that has a battery end and head end that are screwed together with a 510 like DTR's vape mod only dress up the head ends, you could even bulk buy and sell an assortment of vape battery holders, make it point and click simple for people and you will have a winner.

Now if we can just stop chasing away new members. Throw in a lot of these :) when you are answering those same silly questions, and remember everyones first name is buddy and friend.

Last edited:

Rivem

I said buy GPU because even though selling stuff on eBay is nice and lasers are cool, a new card would be much more useful for me right now. I'm also a very busy student, and eBay sales are only an empty summer activity for me.

I voted for a line of affordable laser hosts.

With rumors of Ehgemus leaving the host-making industry here at LPF and sinner leaving, I for the life of me have trouble finding somewhere to get custom hosts... If you do choose to start making custom laser hosts, expect quite an amount of orders with the rarity of custom hosts. Don't be afraid to raise prices high as you wish so that you get a good profit from these hosts and then later be able to spend the profit on other things listed from these options, as long as you do keep them at affordable and attractive prices. :)

^ Exactly what he said. ^
I have thought about getting a lathe myself, I could have drivers made, but they are not running dry as much as host are, I can make my own out of a length of aluminum muffler pipe, but pretty stuff made for easy accommodation of drivers and after optics that are easy for people with minimal tools to use.
I can't believe more people don't want beam shaping optics, it's a world of difference, but I could offer that as an option...and source some decent but affordable beam expanders.......but mostly just build the host, that's an area that's wide open.

Maybe have a series II that has a battery end and head end that are screwed together with a 510 like DTR's vape mod only dress up the head ends, you could even bulk buy and sell an assortment of vape battery holders, make it point and click simple for people and you will have a winner.

Now if we can just stop chasing away new members. Throw in a lot of these :) when you are answering those same silly questions, and remember everyones first name is buddy and friend.

Serious question guys: Is there really a decent demand for custom hosts? I've not been super interested in custom hosts, so I'm not quite sure. A buddy offered me a CNC Lathe at a good deal for me to fix. I passed because of school, but if you guys are really interested, I'm willing to buy it and get it going this summer so that you can send me CAD files, and I can machine it for you.

Last edited:
I would vote for hosts, as final semester of school is very important..it determine your future career and lifestyle..Blah..blah..blah... sorry for my parenting ranting there:D..with host you can make it at your own pace.....

I need some competition....

I'd hold off on the gpu, new models will drop around may, and prices will go down.

Expect we'll see huge progress in that area due to demand from virtual reality applications.

As for the rest... I'd opt for a very nice steak dinner instead, experiences over possessions. Even lasers :p

OVNI

I voted DPSS. I'm with Isaac on the 'lecture' message because getting the most out of school while you're in school pays big dividends for your future. I don't believe you will ever regret really giving it your absolute best while in school (time and effort) and putting everything else you can on hold. A lot of people delay starting, stop in the middle, with all the best of intentions to back but it's really hard once life gets a hold on you.

Oh and you'll make more money the better subject matter expert you become.

And DPSS keeps you in the laser game plus ...

io3ZS0km.jpg

I voted DPSS. I'm with Isaac on the 'lecture' message because getting the most out of school while you're in school pays big dividends for your future. I don't believe you will ever regret really giving it your absolute best while in school (time and effort) and putting everything else you can on hold. A lot of people delay starting, stop in the middle, with all the best of intentions to back but it's really hard once life gets a hold on you.

Oh and you'll make more money the better subject matter expert you become.

And DPSS keeps you in the laser game plus ...

io3ZS0km.jpg

That gif gave me a good laugh :crackup:

Regarding the "lecture", I believe it's more of time management... I'm sure if school is given priority but can be managed so that he's got time for personal interests, then things will go smooth and best grades will still be very manageable.

You all brought up a lot of very good points. If I had $2000 then I'd do it all, but it's never that simple. DPSS lasers is in the lead
edit: Then again, another thing to think about is when the DPSS wavelengths will become available in diode form. But then I'd lose the divergence and give in to thick spectral width. I'll have to think about it. School is over in 40 days, then I may just begin an apprenticeship volunteering at a hospital. No income at all by the way. Everything comes from ebay

Last edited:
I'd just sell what you need to sell until you start working, starting with the Chinese stuff.

Pman

Infin is exactly right in my opinion. I have a ton of lasers but 8 would give them all up in a moment never looking back over what's important in life.

When I first saw this I thought it was a joke, as who needs a poll to decide what to do with their money or their life. I see that I was about the only one who looked at it this way, so I hope your poll helps you decide what to do. I doubt my opinion would help.