Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Point a laser at fully blind eye?

Kenom

I have a friend who is completely blind and he's taken my lasers from me and shined them into his eyes. It was not something I would have let him do. He did it without my permission and without my approval. He did NOT see anything. He's been blind since birth.

Regardless of blindness or not, there is still tissue in the back of the eye that can be burned and I know that this friend of mine got a burn as a result cause the laser he shined into his eye is the one that my eye doctor told me still had a visible burn after a years time had passed.

interesting discussion.
My initial reaction when I saw the subject line was negative. After reading the whole thread I see that the original intent was benign.

However - laser83, you might benefit from considering a couple of points:

first, the effect a topic's subject line has; a more carefully worded title may have avoided (to some degree) the controversy.

and as for "I'll ask whatever question I like. - I'm sure you will. And those who are concerned about perceptions of our hobby, or the fact that it isn't just mature adults reading here, will respond as they feel necessary. To believe that you can post any damn thing you want is immature and ignores the reality of the environment we're operating under. You may cite freedom of speech, but someone else may cite contributing to delinquency, etc... you for example may not want to begin a discussion of "how to use a laser to initiate (some destructive act)"... I know that is not your intent at all, but claiming absolute right to post anything you like sets you up for such arguments. Let me emphasize though that I don't think what you originally posted was bad, just a bit ill-considered... it's only when you got into defensive mode...

:yh:
DanQ

I lack patience with children questioning me when I deal with idiotic adults and the elderly day and night. The one place I will not tolerate foolish comments is online where I don't have to be polite. I do tend to have a short fuse lately due to the hours I often work as well. :p

I won't deny your point a better subject line would have been a good idea such as: Why a laser should not be pointed at fully blind eye.

I have a friend who is completely blind and he's taken my lasers from me and shined them into his eyes. It was not something I would have let him do. He did it without my permission and without my approval. He did NOT see anything. He's been blind since birth.

Regardless of blindness or not, there is still tissue in the back of the eye that can be burned and I know that this friend of mine got a burn as a result cause the laser he shined into his eye is the one that my eye doctor told me still had a visible burn after a years time had passed.

That's just awful. I hope it did not cause him any pain as result of his actions. What is sad is that he has possibility greatly diminished any chance he had of future technology allowing him to see again.

Laser83 I'm with you. It's a curious question and certainly not a stupid one. I am curious as well, it's not like this thread HASN'T helped LPF. However the rudeness of some members is apparent

Gazoo

I lack patience with children questioning me when I deal with idiotic adults and the elderly day and night. The one place I will not tolerate foolish comments is online where I don't have to be polite.

I guarantee that attitude will get you into trouble my friend. I will also guarantee you that SOME of the younger folk here have more common sense than they are given credit for, while some of the older people on this forum are not the brightest. In fact when I saw your post, I thought it was a child posting until I read further in the thread.

You started this thread, you asked for comments and you are getting them...like them or not.

I guarantee that attitude will get you into trouble my friend. I will also guarantee you that SOME of the younger folk here have more common sense than they are given credit for, while some of the older people on this forum are not the brightest. In fact when I saw your post, I thought it was a child posting until I read further in the thread.

You started this thread, you asked for comments and you are getting them...like them or not.
yay it's gazoo!

Of course you would show up here on the new forum just to post in a topic about shining lasers in your eyes lol:p

nice seeing you on the new forum gazoo.

This has turned into quite a thread, I have learned several things from this thread so it cannot be a bad thread, I agree maby a different title would have been better but hind sight is 20/20 no pun intended, I feel bad that Laser 83 is taking such a beating from everone thats dishing it out to him, seems like your linning up for him wouldn't just a couple of you guys be enough. after all he was only asking a question and it apperes several people learned things from his question, no one was hurt, and no intention of hurting anyone was ever stated as the intention. people should read every thing befor they post, that sure would cut out a lot of CRAP !!!
@ things age has nothing to do with being a child or acting like one, you obv are mature past your age as I don't personally know any 15 year old people that have spent $2000. on laser equipment you must have a good head on your shoulders, cudos dude! :D

Peace All Pyro... :eg:

i feel bad for laser83. he is getting treated like alec baldwins daughter....hee-hee

Where was the keyswitch?

Im affraid that it could get the eyes infect.

+1 for laser83.

There are stupid and immature acts like shining lasers into people's eyes, getting drunk, littering the environment...

However, when someone, in response to a simple "why..?" question, just screams "IT'S FORBIDDEN YOU IDIOT!", that's just another example of "stupid and immature".

In fact, most evil in the world is/was done by people just blindly accepting the words from some authority - never questioning the reasons.

Definately true Dr Ebert thanks for the post. The examples of the past were without a doubt true

Thank you for putting this in it's propper pespective +1 for you !

Peace All

+1 for laser83.

There are stupid and immature acts like shining lasers into people's eyes, getting drunk, littering the environment...

However, when someone, in response to a simple "why..?" question, just screams "IT'S FORBIDDEN YOU IDIOT!", that's just another example of "stupid and immature".

In fact, most evil in the world is/was done by people just blindly accepting the words from some authority - never questioning the reasons.

Ok guys, I'm REALLY scared right now, because when i was on the computer, I moved elbow away from the mouse and I put it on my 200mw green laser and since the it wasn't locked(obviously) it flected in my eye directly when I didn't have my safety goggles on, anyway now there is this beam dot still in my eye and it hasn't gone away since Friday, 9/18/09. Please be straight foward with the truth, is my eye permanently damaged?

ZRTMWA

Go to the eye doctor if it doesn't disappear by tommorow morning!

The Laser would burn her retina - ( If in the future [ just imagine] there is a way to heal that eye she would be terribly sorry that she damaged it that way !) - and destroy everything what is left...
Bad baaad baaad idea

Regards
game-genie

Very true.