Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pioneer 8X Blu-Ray-- BDR-203

daguin

I never know where to put these, so it goes here this time.

I know some you ask, "What does daguin do with all of our money?"  

Well here's one thing I do.  I buy new laser stuff.

Somebody had to do it.  With some of the money I made off of my penultimate sale, I bought a Pioneer BDR-203.  That's one of the new 8x BLU-RAY burners

There's some interesting stuff with this new driver
Anyway, here's pulling it apart

8x01.jpg
8x02.jpg

8x03.jpg
8x04.jpg
8x06.jpg

Here's the sled in the drive.  Notice that there is no "covering" over the optics of the sled
8x07.jpg

Here's a close-up of the "top" of the sled out of the drive.  It came out of the drive without any cover.
8x09.jpg

Here's the "bottom of the sled with the electronics already stripped
8x10.jpg

Here are the diodes in the sled
8x09-1.jpg

The IR diode is a flat diode.  The red is buried inside the middle of the sled.  There is some thermal "grease" on the red and the violet diodes.  Be careful you don't foul the optics or the diode with it.

The diodes
8x11.jpg

As you can see the IR diode is flat and pretty much useless

The "GOOD" diodes
8x13.jpg

Notice that the heat sink for the violet diode is pretty thin.  We are back to just grabbing it with pliers and twisting to get it off like the PHR's.
The red is an entirely different matter

Here is the "heat sink within a heat sink"
8x14.jpg

Here it is removed from the "inner" heat sink
8x15.jpg

I know it is hard to tell (because my macro pictures suck), but the red diode is an open can diode.

However, the red (open can) diode has another MAJOR difference than what we are used to.
Look at this picture.  Do you notice anything strange, (besides that my macro pictures suck)?
8x16.jpg

Have you figured it out?

Look at the size of it.  It is NOT 5.6mm like the diodes we usually use and that the violet diode is. Its base is only 3.8mm!!  :eek:
It looked and "felt" weird, but I didn't figure it out until I went to drop it into the AixiZ module head.  It dropped right through  :-?
Looks like we will be looking for some sort of adapter or we must hope that the LPC sleds (and their like) will continue to be available.

I haven't hooked the violet up to a driver yet.  I MAY get to it this weekend.  I might not be able to get to it yet though.  The sled is entirely different than the 6X sled.  The IR diode is flat.  The red is only 3.8mm.  The optics are less complex.

We will see, eh?

[highlight]************************************************************[/highlight]

OK -- The time has come to see.

From bottom to top: 210mW, 110mW, 10mW, 510mW  (you can just barely make out the 10mW beam between 110mW and 510mW)
half1.jpg

From your left to right: 10mW (PS3), 110mW (PHR), 210mW (6X), 510mW (8X)
half2.jpg

Same as above
half3.jpg

With the time it took to take these shots, I'm up to around 20 minutes burn time on the diode (3-24-09).

Peace,
dave

thats awesome.....or maybe aixiz is just going to have to start making modules to fit 3.8mm diodes?
eek i hate harvesting the LPC as it is....i think i would go crazy if i harvested it just to find another heatsink under it!

JLSE

Isnt the smaller diodes what they use for laptop drives? Maybe they are trying to put a kink in the hobby :-?

So is it both the 405 and 650 smaller or just the red?

daguin

Mohrenberg said:
thats awesome.....or maybe aixiz is just going to have to start making modules to fit 3.8mm diodes?
eek i hate harvesting the LPC as it is....i think i would go crazy if i harvested it just to find another heatsink under it!

I could tell that there was a second heat sink from just looking at it.  The smaller size never "registered" until I thought I had "dropped" the diode and then found it inside the module head on the desktop.  ::)  I thought I had "lost" it.  I just "knew" it had bounced/rolled of of the desk and onto the floor, but I couldn't find it.   :-/   When I picked up the module head to put it away, there it was  :-?  I even tried to place it into the head again before reality finally sunk in  :-[

Peace,
dave

WannaBurn said:
Isnt the smaller diodes what they use for laptop drives? Maybe they are trying to put a kink in the hobby :-?

So is it both the 405 and 650 smaller or just the red?

Just the red.  The violet diode is a standard 5.6mm canned diode.
You can see the difference in size here
8x16.jpg

Peace,
dave

Hey Dave...
I was pretty sure that you would be the one to crack the egg...
so to speak... ;)

Jerry

daguin

I forgot to mention -- The pins on the violet diode are nice and long. There is only a ribbon cable attached to them. The case pin ins't even soldered. Plus the violet diode's heat sink is just "glued" on to the outside of the sled. Harvesting just the violet diode from these is a piece of cake!

As I alluded to above -- the red diode is a different matter entirely

Peace,
dave

Sweetnes!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

So, you can just break the 8x diodes heatsink like you would a PHR?
BTW, where did you get it?
Can i have a link?

daguin

Rangedunits said:
I knew it! Will you return when broken?  ::)

Nahhhh!  I gotz da peeciz in da closet in case we needz em

The_Muffin_Man said:
what are your plans for this diode?   :-? I'm curious :D

It will be a high powered laser (if I don't destroy it).

Spyderz20x6 said:
Sweetnes!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

So, you can just break the 8x diodes heatsink like you would a PHR?
BTW, where did you get it?
Can i have a link?

Ooops!  Sorry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=310122380880

Yes. It is even thinner than the PhR heat sink. I broke it with my small cutters in my office. I use full size dykes on the PHR's.

Peace,
dave

So, technically these diodes are a frakkin' breeze to harvest ;D
And they have nice, long pins! :eek:

Sorry Dave --- you have to destroy it to find the limits :D Give 'er hell !!!!

Mike

daguin

Spyderz20x6 said:
So, technically these diodes are a frakkin' breeze to harvest ;D
And they have nice, long pins! :eek:

Absolutely

Look at the picture
8x09-1.jpg

The violet diode is the one at the bottom.  I haven't removed any part of the sled here.  There was no "cover"  The diode is THAT exposed.  It is simply glued to the sled there.  A quick "pry" with a small screwdriver and a snip of the cable, and the diode/heat sink is in your hand.  Then I use small snips to cut some "slices" in the ribbon cable and "push" the pieces off of the pins.  Then I just grabbed both sides of the heat sink (they are very large sides) and twisted back and forth gently.  The diode came free in 5 seconds of twisting.

If I was only harvesting the violet diode, I could have had it sitting in a module in about two minutes from the time I got the sled out of the drive.  The part that takes the longest is removing the ribbon cable (60 seconds). Harvesting these is MUCH easier than harvesting a 6X.  Of course they are more expensive  ;)

Peace,
dave

daguin

Hemlock Mike said:
Sorry Dave --- you have to destroy it to find the limits  :D   Give 'er hell !!!!

Mike

I know . . . . I have another [smiley=engel017.gif]
Peace,
dave