Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pioneer 8X Blu-Ray-- BDR-203

It feels cool to be on the graph under the MANS name... cept my 408mW...isnt 512mW...

Your so lucky daguin... how did you acheive this?? did you just get a freak diode?

Dark

daguin

It feels cool to be on the graph under the MANS name... cept my 408mW...isnt 512mW...
Your so lucky daguin... how did you acheive this?? did you just get a freak diode?
Dark

365mA through a JayRob custom lens . . .(see post #122)

It is still burning. Sorry, no estimated total time. I stopped keeping track after around 20 hours. It does NOT get burned every day. Who "needs" 512mW of violet laser light in normal daily use?

My "working" violet is 110mW. My "show people how it makes things glow" laser is only 11mW!

It does make a nice beam shot across the valley ;)

Peace,
dave

An addition to Krutz' post #522: the capacity rating for a battery is usually under the assumption of a 10-hour constant current discharge. I.e. a 1500mAh CR123A battery can deliver a current of 150mA for 10 hours (a 0.1C discharge current). At higher currents (common in lasers and flashlights in hi mode), the usable capacity may decline quite sharply, as more power is lost as heat on the internal resistance of the battery, also the chemical process that supplies the current becomes less efficient due to basic thermodynamic reasons.

Hey Dark a diode already died at 300 ma :( Hmmm what's the lowest you can go with my host to get it at a safe level. will 250 mA net 300mw before lens? If a diode you have is dying at 300mA then 280 sounds a little high to me. Another member contacted me to warn me so sorry for my nervousness

Hey Dark a diode already died at 300 ma :( Hmmm what's the lowest you can go with my host to get it at a safe level. will 250 mA net 300mw before lens? If a diode you have is dying at 300mA then 280 sounds a little high to me. Another member contacted me to warn me so sorry for my nervousness

The diode of MISTERWILLING was set at 350mA, unfortunately the pot did not maintain this setting and increased the current up to 400mA; this is the reason of the death.:cryyy:
One week ago I had an exchange of info with IgorT, and his opinion is that the diodes can be pushed to their pulsed rating, no more, if the owner wants to use the laser: for the 8x this means no more than 300mW after plastic lens (and taking into account the gain one can get with the use of a JayRob or a LarryDFW lens, this means that one can easily get a final output power of 375mW or a little bit more, and it's a damned good output!):evil:

Off course, if someone is willing to reach higher power settings, it's up to him to take care of the duty cycle....:whistle:

Last edited:
The diode of MISTERWILLING was set at 350mA, unfortunately the pot did not maintain this setting and increased the current up to 400mA; this is the reason of the death.:cryyy:
One week ago I had an exchange of info with IgorT, and his opinion is that the diodes can be pushed to their pulsed rating, no more, if the owner wants to use the laser: for the 8x this means no more than 300mW after plastic lens (and taking into account the gain one can get with the use of a JayRob or a LarryDFW lens, this means that one can easily get a final output power of 375mW or a little bit more, and it's a damned good output!):evil:

Off course, if someone is willing to reach higher power settings, it's up to him to take care of the duty cycle....:whistle:
I wonder how long one would last at 350mA.
At this point, 300mA seems like the ideal current.

Wanna try 250mA Dalorian? we can always turn the pot up a hair.

but the way these diodes burn... i think you will be VERY pleased with even 300mW's

But it's ALL up to you... 250 is a safe current for sure... unless for some reason that 8x is like... the lowest efficiency diode ever, but i HIGHLY doubt that will be the case... all the 8x's i've worked with SO FAR (BDR-203's), are either right up to par, or overspec.

Let me know brother, because the Drive has arrived ^_^

Tyler - Dark Lasers

sorry for being lazy and not wanted to search through these 22 pages, but isn't dave's 8x set to 365mA and still running fine??

YUP, he just mentioned so, a few posts above i beleive. in reponse to one of my questions i think.

The graph is on page 16 i think

daguin

sorry for being lazy and not wanted to search through these 22 pages, but isn't dave's 8x set to 365mA and still running fine??

Reemember -- YMMV -- I would use my work as "proof of concept" more than a guideline for daily use. It does have over 20 hours on it (I don't know how many more), but I do NOT use it every day. When I do use it, I keep the burn times under one minute. I just used it for two 40 second burns to test something on an LPM for Lasersbee.

I'm thinking of setting up a couple more for more realistic daily use tests. It is VERY impressive (ask those that have seen it). However, most users cannot afford to blow a $200 diode just so they can see a really cool looking beam.

I may set one at 350mA and one at 300mA to see if they can hold these currents with "judicious" use. If you are burning it a long time and/or are not very good at limiting the stress on the diode during harvesting and installation, and/or are not using the best lens available, then all bets are off.

Peace,
dave

That would be interesting to see Daguin.

I think soon im going to be Press fitting one into a pure copper labby, and set it to 330mA and use it for like... ten minuets a day total, and see what happens.

With Dark Lasers and whatnot, I could swing an 8x in the interest of Photonics. Plus im very eager to find out if your diode is a superfreak, or if we're all too scared to lose 200 bucks... lol

Watch for this, anyone got the skills to make a PRESS FIT 1in thick 2in x 2in labby block for me??? it would have to be threaded. But i want to test this diode at its potential. and to do so, i feel more than an aixiz module and some aluminum will not suffice...

Yeah I'll see 250 and up. I do want over 300mw and want it safe. LMK how efficient my diode is

Since its a BDR, im sure it will be right up to par. i've yet to find a crap BDR, but then again, maybe i just got lucky.. i hope im not just lucky lol

Press fitting into a 2x2x1 in block would be kinda difficult. To make the press fit, you'd have to get a rather large piece of round copper stock, at least 2√2 inches (~2.8, so get 3) in diameter, drill an exit hole, get the press fitting just right, then mill it down to your square. I have access to both a lathe and a mill, and while I can do the milling fairly accurate, there is pretty much no way I could reasonably do a press fit right on the first try (also, I don't know of any place I could get 1" of 3"dia copper stock, I could probably get a foot, but that'd be quite expensive.

I'll take a look and see if I can get training for the cnc lathe and mill, but first I have to get regular cnc training for the router (both things I want to do anyway). However, this is a school affiliated workshop, so I don't think they offer advanced training during the summer. I got back to school on sept 8th, so I don't think I could do much before then. If you can wait though (and maybe find a source for the stock cheap), I'd make the piece you want for a decent price (maybe like $15).

Or, if you can get someone else to make the press fit cuts in the round stock, I could mill it down to the square you want pretty much any time (as long as the center is open in the summer, I am pretty sure it is).

It doesnt truly matter what the "actual" size of the block is. 2x2x1 was just a # i pulled out of my arse,

As long as its PRESS fit, COPPER, and threaded to fit a 405-G1... im SET. and $15 isnt a thing at all brother. Let me know... I need to have it tested though, the last press fit i got was slightly too loose, and the diodes falls in and out.

and i still need to do the tests damnit... im sorry SIGHTFX, i totaly winded on that project.

I'm back on track monday though for some serious laserage.

Tyler

IgorT

I can supply a 4mm press fit heat sink with 9mm threaded lens socket if anyone with one if these on hand and a LPM want to test it till death.

Yes please? I'd love to plot it and torture chamber it!

If only i'd have something to put it in. But there will be one coming my way soon for FrancoG's 8x Build.... And i think he wouldn't mind if i kill the red diode. :yabbem:

Is this offer still valid? :angel:

Also, what is the speed of the DVD recorder?

On a side note, i've been torturing a Long Closed Can red at 520mA in a direct insertion Heatsink/Module for like two weeks now, and this thing just won't die! :thinking:

This thing was producing as much as 340mW through my medium custom lens, or 285mW through a regular acrylic. Even just an AR coated acrylic brings it up to 315mW! :evil:

I can't believe it's not dead yet! Altho i did once run an open can at 0.6A for 24 hours straight (directly off my PSU even) before it became 5mW. But the power was not impressive, since someone stuck it in at an angle...

Anyway, i'm just trying to find out where the limits of the LCCs are, since i have too many...

Last edited: