Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pioneer 16X BDR-209DBK

Hello i just received my host diode driver combo and put it together and after about 15 second it starts to blink at around 10-20 hz maybe even 30 i am not sure but the first 10 secs are fine then it blinks so safely id say 650 mA cause i selected mine for 700mA i am going to post a video of it on youtube to show how fast and how powerful this is!!!! it burns wood plastic everything
-Edit inside the Chunk and Trustfire Legit 18650
-Edit First It starts blinking slowly then speeds up as time goes on keeping this laser off for now!

Have you tried a different cell? A slow blink could mean overheating but rapid pulsing usually is a current issue either from a bad cell or a weak contact point in the host.

Jordan is right. Usually it happens because of contact problem or overheating.

Did you add a heatsink to the main IC of the driver ? ...

Also , try to put it in a different heatsink or just assemble it again to check if there is any contact problem.

:beer:

Last edited:

DTR

Jordan is right. Usually it happens because of contact problem or overheating.

Did you add a heatsink to the main IC of the driver ? ...

Also , try to put it in a different heatsink or just assemble it again to check if there is any contact problem.

:beer:

It is definitely not a overheating problem for two reasons the Microboost can run continuously with currents under 900mA and thermal protection is a slow blink. There really is no reason to try and sink this driver wich is somewhat difficult as the chip is recessed between several other components that you don't want to accidently short. Attempting this is more trouble than it is worth in this scenario.

A rapid pulse is a current issue.:beer:

Last edited:
It is definitely not a overheating problem for two reasons the Microboost can run continuously with currents under 900mA and thermal protection is a slow blink. There really is no reason to try and sink this driver wich is somewhat difficult as the chip is recessed between several other components that you don't want to bridge. Attempting this may be more trouble than it is worth.

A rapid pulse is a current issue.:beer:

Okay :)

Good to know that lol .. I always sink my Micro-boosts even at 500mA. Thanks Jordan :beer:

Yeah, I got 2 of these, one with preset driver (700mA of course), and one I used with a microboost I had on me (I set it to 700mA). The first I put in a Skyray host, the second in the zerolasers chunk. Both have run fine, no heatsinking on either driver.

I only use AW IMR batteries too. I going with that as the problem, as anything-fire batteries are just crap, IMO.

DTR

[EDIT]
Suggest 600mA as the max and 500mA for best life. Some of the early tests gave hopes running above 600mA was a good idea but seems to have caused quite a few deaths so the revised max is 600mA if you want to push it and 500mA if you want the best life.
[EDIT]

Last edited:
Thanks, DTR. Now I have something else to shoot for after I finish this C11 405nm build. It will probably be several weeks before I can start investing in newer, more expensive laser diodes. But, hey.....just awesome!

Yeah, I got 2 of these, one with preset driver (700mA of course), and one I used with a microboost I had on me (I set it to 700mA). The first I put in a Skyray host, the second in the zerolasers chunk. Both have run fine, no heatsinking on either driver.

I only use AW IMR batteries too. I going with that as the problem, as anything-fire batteries are just crap, IMO.

Great so now my next big buy The Good Battery's "AW IMR's"&"Panasonic's":thanks:
i should once again refer to the search

UPDATE: ITS Dead I use 30 on 30 off and its dead now what???
im out 100+ Bucks get another at such lower currents?

Last edited:

DTR

Yea I was worried about that as it sounds like it was run a few times rapidly pulsing like you described probably kicking the crap out of the poor diode. Sucks.:(
If you want shoot it back and I will pull the old diode, press a new one and rewire it for you for the cost of a bare diode to help you out.:)

ru124t

I think I will buy this diode and put it into a mace of doom kit! Should get some good run time on that I think. I wonder if it could be done as a plug and burn kit for a noob like me.Probably get it set for 750ma ? Does that sound right to you guys?
After much consideration I am going to put this into a c-11 side clicky host from mrcrouse. I will get a mace of doom and put a New 9mm 445 diode it in a mrcrouse mace of doom! Stay tuned, the madness continues!!!!!

Last edited:
Yea I was worried about that as it sounds like it was run a few times rapidly pulsing like you described probably kicking the crap out of the poor diode. Sucks.:(
If you want shoot it back and I will pull the old diode, press a new one and rewire it for you for the cost of a bare diode to help you out.:)

Alright alright long as my lady dont know I Will Do it this Friday?

Does anyone have an estimate of the raw diode divergence? A quick measure of how wide the spot is with no lens at say 1m away? Any images? Is it really TEM00 at the higher currents? Thanks in advance to any of you who have done the testing on a new diode for sharing your findings.

DTR

Sleds for $59.00USD here.

Yea ordered one of them back in the beginning which was discussed previously in this thread and I got a sled that looked similar but had a metal frame not plastic which was odd since they took my picture from this thread which I guess was because they did not have one in hand that looked the same and the diode that barley did 900mW @ 700mA. Ended up running it @ 450mA for 500mW with a G-2. I believed it was a 207 or 208 sled not a 209 since the carriage was so similar but different material and it had a 3.8mm 650 not the flat package 650 the 209 I disassembled in this thread had. If you get one post back with a picture of it and your results.:beer:

Last edited:
Thank you for the heads up. I remembering your post about that, but there was no mention of the seller details. I did order one and will report back.

I should have ordered from you. For just a few dollars more I could have avoided this situation and got a module too.