Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Photography thread!

Ya, I have some of those near UV LEDs, but they don't look as violet as in that pictures. Anyway, I should try it someday...

Morgan

img2958l.jpg

Nice bug too! This is a Cardinal Beetle I think. If I'm right and you bug this bug, (I.e. gently apply pressure to it and generally make it think it's in danger), it lets a tiny squeaking noise which is not unlike a tiny mouse!

M
:)

P.S. I still haven't posted any pics yet... :undecided:

Well I don't remember hearing any noise when I tried picking one up and placing it in better view for a pic. If I see another one, I'll try what you said.

Morgan

Well I don't remember hearing any noise when I tried picking one up and placing it in better view for a pic. If I see another one, I'll try what you said.

It is very quiet and the beetle I'm thinking of imitates another beetle in looks, size and behaviour so it maybe the beetle it's trying to imitate but the one I'm thinking of definitely makes a tiny squeaky noise,

Ah, a little googling...

I had the names the wrong way round...

I'm thinking of, 'The Scarlet Lily Beetle', that appears to imitate the, 'The Cardinal Beetle'

Scarlet lily beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - The squeaky one!

Cardinal beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - The non Squeaky one!

I still think you have the squeaky one there. Dimples in the wing cases are a give away and eleven segments to the antennea. The cardinal beetle has a comb structure to the antennea that the photo doesn't seem to have.

Go on, stress it a little... Not much but I bet you hear the squeaking. Are there lilies nearby?

M
:)

Last edited:

Things

Those shots of stuff in mid air are really easy to do. If you want it to look lifelike, set a long exposure, set off a single flash without you in it, then go do your random drawing.

I did this one a little while ago with a LED candle ...

IMG_1280.jpg

Move fast enough and you will be invisible :)

Things

Lol, you can still see legs at the bottom.

Yeah, that's because I didn't use a flash, and there was light on the shot the whole time, combined with the fact I pretty much stood in those 2 spots to write the letters and didn't move much.

That looks amazing! Did you use a mirror or symmetritize it on PS?

Thanks guys! I symmetrized it in PS, The original didn't look horrible but I think it looks way better this way!

@Gryphon Great Idea thank you! didnt even think of that. :thanks:

@Traveller : I wonder how much time they spend preparing a wedding... :eek:

@rangedunits : Since when do you have a dog? :D