Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Personal Lens Preference for 445nm?

For 445, which lens do you prefer?

• Total voters

IsaacT

Yesterday I built my first handheld laser, and it is also my first time to have a 445 laser. I used the stock lens that came on the 9mm lens. However, I sort of prefer the Aixiz Glass lens for 445. It seems to cast a cleaner dot, although it does have wings off to the side.

So my poll. Do you prefer:
G1
G2
Aixiz Glass
9mm Stock Lens
Other

If you put other, please specify in the thread.

Isaac

For me I'd really have to say it depends on what I'm doing. I swap to a G2 for close burning, and use a standard lens for beamage

sinner

I think for a multimode 445s, That are <2W and one which you'd like to use more often should have a 3-element..

But if the objective is to squeeze every last photon out of the laser you will definitely need a single element lens. i.e: G-lenses or a 9mm Stock Lens.

AFAIK 9mm Stock Lens puts out a tad more than a G2 , if it doesnt matter that much.

IsaacT

What about for >2W? Because I am using an X-Drive at 2.1A....so I think(?) that would make it over 2W?

jakeGT

I use o-like lenses for personal. I like them the best, and then "aixiz" style 3-element

I only use g1/g2 for more power on an LpM run or something like that to see what it can do.

What about for >2W? Because I am using an X-Drive at 2.1A....so I think(?) that would make it over 2W?

It's safe to say it's 2W+. Personally, when I get into that power range I prefer to normally keep a G lens on because I've noticed that a 3 element gets hotter (likely due to it "clipping" the edges of the light) also I worry about internal reflection, damaging the diode etc.

IsaacT

I just read your post and picked up my laser, unscrewed the Aixiz Glass, and put on the 9mm Stock lens. lol. Do you think focus adapters provide useful heatsinking for the lens? If so, would it be detrimental to use Aixiz Focus adapters on high powered builds?

Sorry for the off topic, but hey! I made the thread (lol).

Thanks,
Isaac

I don't see why it matters...
The lens is housed inside the little brass thing which is in direct contact with the module/heatsink. So the lens will get as hot as the module whether or not there is any light being "clipped." The lens is essentially using the same heatsink as the diode.
I don't think that normal operation of a 2W laser will generate enough heat to damage the glass with or without a larger focus adapter.

Last edited:
It's debatable I suppose. I'd say yes a larger focus adapter would help cool the focusing assembly, I've noticed those basic little focus knobs get a bit hot with higher power builds. Also as I said it seems the 3 element gets a bit hotter, but where do you think that 30% loss in power vs. a G2 goes? ;)

I don't see why it matters...
The lens is housed inside the little brass thing which is in direct contact with the module/heatsink. So the lens will get as hot as the module whether or not there is any light being "clipped." The lens is essentially using the same heatsink as the diode.
I don't think that normal operation of a 2W laser will generate enough heat to damage the glass with or without a larger focus adapter.

All solid points. I just think that, since a heatsink is not "perfect," the main amount of the heat still stays near the diode, module, lens area (center). So with a larger focus adapter you'd think it would transfer even more heat away, being screwed onto the lens barrel. I was in no way trying to imply that 3 element lenses damage diodes, I was just saying that I personally worry about it :beer:

Last edited:

sinner

This has been discussed before, and i will agree on that with LaserPointerer with the fact that "Where actually the 30% optical energy is absorbed" So in addition to the heat already generated by the diode you will have 30% less heat going out thus heat has been somehow trapped,. The lens doesnot make solid contact with the aixiz so i see somewhat lesser heat transfer. , it is still unknown however that exactly how much heat is not dissipated and is left off in the small gap between lens nut and the diode. So using a focus adapter does help.

That said, I dont see a problem with using a 3-element lens on a >2W build since we dont know how exactly it can/cannot overheat/damage that specific area close to the diode's aperture.. Doesnt hurt to be careful though!

I'm out in the woods with plenty of room for long beams, so I prefer the aixiz lens so I can have the best far away focus. And the dot looks much nicer IMO.

ARG

G1 is my favorite by far, but only if there are corrective optics after the lens. The 9mm lenses are a pain in the ass to remove from the retainer.

If we're not going beyond the lens here then I would say the uncommon 2 element lenses. The triple elements clip the beam and the barrel heats up quite fast, I find this doesn't happen with the 2-element lenses and it maintains decent beam qualities and has a better transmission than the 3-element ones. Essentially half way between a 3-element and "G" lens in terms of transmission and beam qualities.
I really do not know why more people don't use these. They are only a bit more than the 3-element lenses and a whole lot better IMO.

IsaacT

Where can you get these "2 element lenses"? I am making a lens "set" for my 445 laser and so far I have the 9mm stock and the aixiz 445 glass.

ARG

AnthoT used to sell them, but he's out of the laser bis; there are a few people who know his supplier, but no one will divulge it. I believe this is the same mysterious supplier that had the 3.8mm red diodes from the GB. If you look hard enough you can find them.
I think o-like may have the half threaded barrel ones.

Last edited:

Blord

There are much more lenses than these two variants. I have made an output chart for different lenses with the H1600 diode. It is essentially the same as the M140 diode.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/lens-comparison-445nm-h1600-diode-75324.html
38448d1339885983-lens-comparison-445nm-h1600-diode-lens445nm.png

Ty for the chart Blord, I always really appreciate it when members organize the data.

My personal preference is the G1 or 9mm stock. I want every photon possible leaving the host for max power. Otherwise that 30% is splashing creating aura or becoming heat. IMO the wings look good.