Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please sub

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Re: PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please

That isn't a great response IMO.

The consumer doesn't care about λ or specs except one: output power.

Not true at all. That's like trying to sell someone a banana and giving them an apple. They only care if it's fruity enough. :thinking:
Avoid that seller.

Re: PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please

i hope a few members messages him telling him the wavelength is very important to many individuals and question if his statement is true, then why did he misrepresent its wavelength at 465 nm?

if we can get a hand full of members to tell him he is wrong with that assumption, or perhaps just some kind of justification in his own mind, that would help set him on track, maybe?

ebay seller critical_eye_studios is a scammer ?

That ebay seller just responded to my message asking him if he listed them as 465 nm in error, why he hasn't fixed his listing yet with the following;

He thinks I am complaining because I'm a seller in competition with him, wrong, I sell nothing. Can one or more members please message him telling him how wrong he is about the wavelength being unimportant? What doesn't make sense is if it is unimportant, then why is he listing them at a more sought after wavelength? I have a very critical eye to misrepresentations regarding lasers or laser parts, we get enough of that from the China sellers.

2 (Two) High Power M140 Laser Diodes 4.2W 2.1W ea. Blue 465nm | eBay

Ricker

Someone who talks like that to anyone in any form of business is very unprofessional and deserves to have no sales.

EDIT: I went to message him, someone bought the diodes, ugh. Even though that's not a bad price for two M Style M140's, the buyer still bought them under false pretenses. Hopefully they just want to make a handheld, and didn't need that exact wavelength for an experiment. :/

Last edited:
Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

No, that's perfectly normal for a rod of ruby. :) And the ends are usually polished. Not a bad price though.

Last edited:

Get a flashlamp and mirrors to make some powerful 694.3 red pulses, a bit long in the wavelength, almost near IR but visible, too much power to risk looking at, use goggles.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

I do own a ruby rod which I occasionally do fluorescence tests on. But it has a slight defect. That deep ruby red colour is beautiful.

I also have one of these Ruby Rods. One day I will get around to doing something with it other than pointing a laser at it. Looks like a Rod without defects. From Russia.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

I really want to build a ruby. But it's the electronics that puts me off.

That' on my to-do list. I have wanted a ruby laser since I first saw one in 1965. I have been concerned about the rods sold on eBay as some aren't fit to use for lasers. It's very difficult to know which are okay before you purchase one.

I really want to build a ruby. But it's the electronics that puts me off.

Same on my part.

That' on my to-do list. I have wanted a ruby laser since I first saw one in 1965. I have been concerned about the rods sold on eBay as some aren't fit to use for lasers. It's very difficult to know which are okay before you purchase one.

now and then I catch a good one. I have a few too, but they wouldn't be cheap. you dont need much to make a laser. The issue now is finding suitable mirrors. nobody makes optics for them anymore. I need an output coupler and nobody makes them anymore...and custom optics are too expensive.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

Yes, custom optics are expensive indeed. If I ever come across an output coupler for a ruby i'll let you know. What OC would you preferably want. Also you don't necessarily have to have the coating at 694nm for the HR and OC.
Paul, if you have the expertise. Go for it. It would be an awesome project. As long as your gain is sufficient you should be able to get a correctly doped rod to lase.

Edit: Come across this on eBay if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSY-1-Nd-YAG-Pulsed-Laser-/272830032069?hash=item3f85efe8c5:g:9MsAAOSwX-pZqeHV

Last edited:

diachi

Yes, custom optics are expensive indeed. If I ever come across an output coupler for a ruby i'll let you know. What OC would you preferably want. Also you don't necessarily have to have the coating at 694nm for the HR and OC.
Paul, if you have the expertise. Go for it. It would be an awesome project. As long as your gain is sufficient you should be able to get a correctly doped rod to lase.

Edit: Come across this on eBay if anyone is interested.

SSY-1 Nd: YAG Pulsed Laser | eBay

Damn, always wanted one of those. Way out of my price range though. :(

...There's also supposed to be an export ban on those. :whistle:

I looked at that YAG some time back, I can't quite tell if it is a ND YAG or what it is for sure. They mislabeled it as an SSY-1, it's not.

diachi

I looked at that YAG some time back, I can't quite tell if it is a ND YAG or what it is for sure. They mislabeled it as an SSY-1, it's not.

Good point, it does look a bit different. Maybe an updated version?

From the pictures it looks like the pump chamber is very similar. Of course, there are common pump chamber geometries so could just be down to that...

Last edited:

i have some SSY-1 ND:YAG's and they are tiny, this thing is huge compared to them, if it is an ND YAG, I'd love to have it, just needs a cavity and control +voltage..