Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Peregrine - The Free, Open Source LPM Interface

Peregrine doesn't support zooming, it discards all the data that isn't being shown. My version (1.4) has an option to keep stretching the graphic to show all the data on the screen, but you can't zoom in.

rhd

Peregrine doesn't support zooming, it discards all the data that isn't being shown. My version (1.4) has an option to keep stretching the graphic to show all the data on the screen, but you can't zoom in.

That's too bad, I had hoped it would be the solution. Love this LPM, but need to preset a metering duration ahead of time is a big limitation.

ARG

That's too bad, I had hoped it would be the solution. Love this LPM, but need to preset a metering duration ahead of time is a big limitation.

Why's that? Personally I think the preset duration is far better. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make the modifications to peregrine for it to operate like you suggest.

I also think recording all the data would be best, that's why I added that mode (link on my sig). Never got around to adding zoom, which would be ideal.

OTOH Processing is very slow and not the best platform for something like Peregrine. My computer isn't low-end and still slows down considerably with - say - 20min of datalogging.

@ARG: sometimes you just want to leave it recording a lot of trials (with different batts, lenses or lasers) to see which one turns out best. It'd be really cool if you could zoom/crop the graph and save separate images.

Last edited:
Also to make sure you unlock the Java libraries, or you'll end up with no input from your LPM. Otherwise serial input = false

Use Terminal command:

sudo mkdir -p /var/lock
sudo chmod 777 /var/lock

enter your use password
hit return.
libraries are unlocked
I posted about that huge headache earlier.

Can't get it to work. I have Processing downloaded but I'm not sure where to go from there.
And when I input that terminal command nothing happens. I hit return and it just starts a new line.
Can you help me?

Can't get it to work. I have Processing downloaded but I'm not sure where to go from there.
And when I input that terminal command nothing happens. I hit return and it just starts a new line.
Can you help me?

post your screen shot and upload then we can help you

Were you not prompted for your password?

your password will not show in the command line btw.. after entering you hit return..

this unlocks the libraries.

post your screen shot and upload then we can help you

Were you not prompted for your password?

your password will not show in the command line btw.. after entering you hit return..

this unlocks the libraries.

I did it as a shell command. It asked me for my password, I hit return, and it said [Process completed]. I did that for both of the commands you said to use. It only asked for my password the first time I did it; re-trying it doesn't ask for my password.

Peregrine still won't recognize my LaserBee though. Serial connected is false, but the LaserBee is plugged in. Do I need to do something with Processing?

I did it as a shell command. It asked me for my password, I hit return, and it said [Process completed]. I did that for both of the commands you said to use. It only asked for my password the first time I did it; re-trying it doesn't ask for my password.

Peregrine still won't recognize my LaserBee though. Serial connected is false, but the LaserBee is plugged in. Do I need to do something with Processing?

well I'd think about repairing your permissions and or re-installing peregrine.
Sounds like you also might need to do a re-start for the libraries to take effect.

Also make sure you've got the USB to serial adapter selected properly as well.
Check the serial monitor in Arduino program to make sure you're receiving data.
Look at the link below... see if you can follow what I've posted here. It does work for any serial input you can throw at
your computer. If you see something... then that's step 1 of 2. If you still can't see anything from this, your problem lies in
your USB serial adapter.

See link below:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f70/macos-laserbee-other-data-parsing-method-alternative-80626.html

Post your pics !! once I see what's going on then I can de-bug your LB.

Another problem might be the Serial to USB adapter if you still can't see the input.
I have the original one Jerry kindly included with the laserbee 3.2W deluxe.
It does NOT require any special drivers to make it function
on MacOSX 10.8 - 10.9.3.

Under windows 8-8.1 it fails unless you can download a special driver for it.
the driver is completely out of date and runs in a compatibility mode.

Last edited:
well I'd think about repairing your permissions and or re-installing peregrine.
Sounds like you also might need to do a re-start for the libraries to take effect.

Also make sure you've got the USB to serial adapter selected properly as well.
Check the serial monitor in Arduino program to make sure you're receiving data.
Look at the link below... see if you can follow what I've posted here. It does work for any serial input you can throw at
your computer. If you see something... then that's step 1 of 2. If you still can't see anything from this, your problem lies in
your USB serial adapter.

See link below:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f70/macos-laserbee-other-data-parsing-method-alternative-80626.html

Post your pics !! once I see what's going on then I can de-bug your LB.

Another problem might be the Serial to USB adapter if you still can't see the input.
I have the original one Jerry kindly included with the laserbee 3.2W deluxe.
It does NOT require any special drivers to make it function
on MacOSX 10.8 - 10.9.3.

Under windows 8-8.1 it fails unless you can download a special driver for it.
the driver is completely out of date and runs in a compatibility mode.

Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can get it working. If not, I'll send screenshots of everything for you to look at.

I'm also going to try it on one of my old PC's so maybe it will work better there.

:thanks:

Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can get it working. If not, I'll send screenshots of everything for you to look at.

I'm also going to try it on one of my old PC's so maybe it will work better there.

:thanks:

PC's running windows don't seem to have locked libraries. Macintosh OS and any of the Linux flavours (unbuntu, Android...etc) all have locked Java libraries and require unlock through the command line.

Anyways, you're going to need to post your screen pics to shops us what's happening.

that unlock procedure running through terminal has unlocked all my computers with Java 7 rev 58 including my Hackintosh i7 pro that I built over a year ago. :whistle:

Ok I will install Maverics and see if I can get it working...Will report back with the result.:beer:

Also to make sure you unlock the Java libraries, or you'll end up with no input from your LPM. Otherwise serial input = false

Use Terminal command:

sudo mkdir -p /var/lock
sudo chmod 777 /var/lock

enter your use password
hit return.
libraries are unlocked
I posted about that huge headache earlier.

Wow, it worked! I am so happy that I found this thread. I was previouslydisappointed that I couldn't get the Peregrine graphing to work on my Mac, but after using that Terminal Command, it started to work. I am not a computer guy, so I was unsure how to initiate this, but after reading and playing around with it, I got it to run.
Thank you for this.

I just edited Peregrine for MacOSX and have released a version with the Java
libraries embedded.
I've now had confirmation that this new Mac edition of Peregrine is working at full
Frame rate and working as intended.

Give it a go. For those of you running MacOSX 10.9.2 and having Java issues,
this app will run without Java installed.

The application is over 100Mb to download. (Java libraries are included and imbedded)

Note, this app now runs a slightly larger screen and has Java 7 51v libraries including the new p5 library for processing 2.1.2
The download link is below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xk9zr67639o1coc/Peregrine1.5.0.5 (3D enabled).zip

Please give this a test MacOS users. :thanks:

Report back here.

Peregrine for MacOSX 1.5.0.5 :wave

Last edited:

Trevor

All I see in the source for the OpenGL version is the import statement; where do you actually use it? Or are you just using the non-default renderer?

Also - this is great! Happy another person is playing around with it. :)

Trevor

All I see in the source for the OpenGL version is the import statement; where do you actually use it? Or are you just using the non-default renderer?

Also - this is great! Happy another person is playing around with it. :)

Trevor

Right, well I have a run into a LARGE problem using the default renderer causing a very low frame rate (6fps) or crashing all together when updating peregrine inside Processing 2.1.2.
All applications made in previous versions of processing basically need to define
their renderer or face terrible performance!!
I did some research and changed the GUI and graph+ text to P3D and then to OPENGL.
So, Control P5 is being drawn under a new renderer either P3D or OPENGL (2 versions). Moving away from default.
(Control P5 library using default was actually the source of our problems)
boosted our frame rate back to 24fps.
I've also made changes to the window size as well.

I also included the Java libraries because grained was having issues with being able to start the application. I wondered if he had a problem with how he installed Java on his Mac.
Turns out the P3D version with Java libs included works on his computer perfectly.

Once I get some time, I'd like to try to find a way of exporting .pdf using the pdf libraries.

These are small changes Trevor,
but now we have a equal Mac version to the PC version that has been updated to the new language requirements.

The PC version will have to be updated to include the new renderer definitions as well.

Last edited: