Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ouch! That burns!!!

Well if his hand was severely burned then it could have just cooked the nerves ie smell but no feel

Looking at the mayo site, I have a second degree burn. Small, probably 1/4 inch by 3/4 inch.

So strange, I was pressing the solder and when it went liquid the tip skidded across the board onto my finger.

Then it seemed to go slow motion and seemed to take FOREVER for me to react. I knew immediately it was gonna be bad.

It isn't life threatening, just really annoying as that is an important hand and finger! Ok, they are all important. Mostly it just hurts like mad.

lman

When I first got burned my stupid reaction was to throw the iron on the hardwood floor and put my finger in water then unplug the iron.

Last edited:
I will take the doctors advice.

That is doctor's advice.

So strange, I was pressing the solder and when it went liquid the tip skidded across the board onto my finger.

Then it seemed to go slow motion and seemed to take FOREVER for me to react. I knew immediately it was gonna be bad.

Been there... done that... no fun :(

About time seeming to slow down, some experimentation has been done to show that we are actually capable of processing information much faster than we normally do, when stressed.

I recall a test where people were shown a display with very quickly flashing numbers. People looking at the display, sitting down in an office were able to recognize very few distinct numbers if any.

Same test was done with the same people, and control groups for both scenarios...

Except in the second version of the test, the subjects had the display in front of them, while bungee jumping. After being pulled up, the people were able to recite quite a few of the numbers.

When I first got burned my stupid reaction was to throw the iron on the hardwood floor and put my finger in water then unplug the iron.

My first reaction is to run to the sink to stick my hand under cold water:p

Any burn sucks!
I really hate it when I just got cutting or welding something and grab it with the hand that doesn't have the glove on.

I almost did that today.

JLSE

On moderate burns I use cool water, but shortly after use warmer than room
temp water..

When you remove your finger from the warm water, the ambient room temp
becomes relief.. Its uncomfortable for a bit, but works every time.

^^^Interesting. If history taught me anything, it's that I will most likely have a reason to experiment with this first hand (no pun intended) again.

JLSE

Its sounds a bit crazy, but has worked for me many times. While the pain
will increase, it will drop down to something which is much more tolerable
than what you experienced in the first place.

Using cold makes things worse, unless you are able to keep a finger in water.
I had to do this once with a bad hot glue incident.. My thumb went into a large
puddle of fresh molten glue. My natural reaction was to grab the offending material
and get it off.. My skin nearly cam with it.

I had my thumb in ice water for 10hrs or so.. I could not take it and gave in to the
cold relief.

Worst burn ive had was my forearm hitting a super hot exhaust pipe on a Mack Tri-axle.
It was in the middle of summer, climbed nto the truck and somehow hit the vertical stack.

I spent the rest of the day in the truck with the air conditioning vent blowing on my arm.

Think that was the worst i've ever felt.

jakeGT

On mythbusters they found swearing reduces pain ~30% on average for people

And women do have a higher pain tolerance than men

I always end up burning myself on the fingertips, which leaves these water blisters that make all the small detailed work that laser building requires much more difficult. Also, since I always tinker with something with my hands, the blister would grow (when pressed, the water would lift the surrounding skin, expanding the blister) so I have always drained my blisters. The way I do it is I get a sewing needle, dip it in hydrogen peroxide and let it disinfect before digging a small "tunnel" under my skin about 3-4mm away from the blister and make a "channel" for the fluid to escape from. It is probably the safest way to drain them and prevent infection IMO.

Blord

what do you guys find is best for after you stick the 480 C tip of your soldering iron on your finger?

I've seen all of your hands in pics so I know someone has good advice.

You really let the iron go to 480 degrees Celsius ? I think the temperature is too high for soldering electronic stuff. I let my iron set at 300-350 degrees. Pre-tin the iron is the key-word. And you get that nice and shinny tin on the components instead of dull looking tin.

You really let the iron go to 480 degrees Celsius ? I think the temperature is too high for soldering electronic stuff. I let my iron set at 300-350 degrees. Pre-tin the iron is the key-word. And you get that nice and shinny tin on the components instead of dull looking tin.

lol :D yeah 480C is quite a lot for the iron, I keep my new tip and iron at 350C max. :beer: