Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Osram PL450 450nm 80mW power chart

Iv got one on the way. Module is ready, just need to get the driver and Batt. Very excited about this one.

i have another of these diodes at the post now, and am going to take my time with this build. it's going into a fandyfire host with a microboost drive at around 300ma. should have time in the next few days to put it all together. the color and beam specs on this diode Are great. pix soon

edit: i've pressed the diode into it's module and modified the heatsink by drilling out the backside id a bit to allow headroom for the driver. the microboost will be thermal glued to the pill. next step is to solder the driver leads and set the current using a selectable test load.

Last edited:
Would it be possible for you guys to post a picture of the raw beam from your PL450 as well as what mA you are driving it?

I'm driving mine at 306mA and it looks like this
IMGP0127.jpg

Here is mine...

450 Single Mode raw output by tsteele93, on Flickr

Nice!!! I have one more on the way... I will post it when it gets here..
Havent checked if Wanaburn has got the 2 I sent him yet. or the mits500.. should b there by now.. If he is like me were busy these day's Spring is in the air! Get back to me when you can.. that's a nice beam there...

Is that without a lense? or just unfocused?

DTR

i have another of these diodes at the post now, and am going to take my time with this build. it's going into a fandyfire host with a microboost drive at around 300ma. should have time in the next few days to put it all together. the color and beam specs on this diode Are great. pix soon

edit: i've pressed the diode into it's module and modified the heatsink by drilling out the backside id a bit to allow headroom for the driver. the microboost will be thermal glued to the pill. next step is to solder the driver leads and set the current using a selectable test load.

If you are only driving the microboost @ 300mA it will run continuously without any heatsinking. No need to make the build more complex since you don't have to or make it so that you will never get the driver back out if you need to relocate it for some reason.;)

Nice!!! I have one more on the way... I will post it when it gets here..
Havent checked if Wanaburn has got the 2 I sent him yet. or the mits500.. should b there by now.. If he is like me were busy these day's Spring is in the air! Get back to me when you can.. that's a nice beam there...

Is that without a lense? or just unfocused?

That is with no lens, on a white door at about 2 feet. I just wanted to add it to the pics since I had one. :D

I have an RHD build with about 150mW. No idea what he was driving it at... I may want to do my own at ~300mA, I had no idea these diodes could take that kind of abuse.

Last edited:

AUS

Whats the cheapest you can pick these up for? Best I've seen is $48 on eBay. This seller has some interesting stuff.

Blord

I have seen a report that one diode dies at 380mA. My C6 host has one set at 373mA which gives 240mW with acrylic lens.

DTR

Whats the cheapest you can pick these up for? Best I've seen is $48 on eBay. This seller has some interesting stuff.

That is the cheapest I have seen them. I try pretty hard to match the best prices out there but this one is pretty close to what I paid for the stock I have now.:undecided:

But for the people in the US they can get them from me for a few dollars more in 2-3 days instead of the 20-30 it will take to get from China.

I have seen a report that one diode dies at 380mA. My C6 host has one set at 373mA which gives 240mW with acrylic lens.

I have not driven any over 200mA and have been pretty happy with the results. I am starting to think that over-diving these diodes is what is making some of the side distortions on the raw output some have been posting. Mine under 200mA all seem to have looked pretty nice but everyone that has sent me a picture of that strange side artifact or whatever it is are driving them above 300mA.

Driven @ 180mA.

p1019160.jpg

Compared to this.

IMGP0127.jpg

AUS

I looked at your eBay page DTR but couldn't see any there?

Last edited:

AUS

Thanks Lase, I'll see if it's still there waiting for a home when I get paid next week...

AUS

Thanks Blord, I just found it on his Google page from the links in his signature :whistle: