Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opinions on Signature Ethics...please read.

IsaacT

So I am always hesitant to put something or not put something in my signature. So I want YOUR opinion on the ethics of sigs.

1. Should one put purchased lasers in ones sig even if they haven't arrived?
2. Can builds-in-progress be added even if you haven't had the time to finish it but you have all the parts sitting in front of you?
3. Should sold lasers be removed from your signature completely? If the sold laser was a unique wavelength, is it bad form to leave it and just put sold so as to keep the pretty color on the sig rainbow?
4. Outputs: if you never use a "G" lens, is it bad form to list your laser as the output it has with a "G" Lens? At that point, I never use my lasers without a lens, but I bet I could get some kickass readings without the lens...

That is all for now. If any of you have your own questions/concerns about what to put and what to leave out, post your queries here and we will try to answer them.

Cheers,
Isaac

EDIT: See my signature if you have questions about what I mean in the above questions. All my readings are with everyday lens though.

Last edited:

ARG

1. Sure
2. I don't see why not, my dual/triple lasers took me ages to finish because of the alignment.
3. Yeah, you don't have that laser and you won't be getting it back.
4. Rate it with the lens you use it with.

Last edited:
I always use lasers I own and have. I think sold lasers should be remkved though.

If your into upkeep or tidiness of your sig I would believe it to be of good form to remove lasers no longer in your possession. On the same subject, I would never list a sig lasers to either be sold upon completion or ones that are in their conceptional phase.

Good question let the flames begin.

I don't think it's up to community, it's up to individual.

Do you want to show all the lasers you've seen and had in your life? Then, "Yes, Yes, No, Yes".

Do you want to point out your current inventory? "No, No, Yes, No".

Personally, I don't think anybody cares much, source of info are reviews you make with lasers you have, not the list in your signature. Having a small thumbnail pic with all your lasers in it is just the same to me as a big list of lasers.

I removed the ones I sold simply because it made my signature needlessly long. I've debated removing the laser and HV list entirely and just putting hobby info about me in there instead.

IMO if you've owned it then it is fine to say so even if it is sold. Putting lensless LPM reading is inflationary though, I'd probably not endorse that.

Last edited:

IsaacT

The lensless reading thing was mostly a joke. There are some measures which are extreme enough to raise questions of whether or not said person is compensating for something lol.

I have come up with a good alternative to keeping my sold 594nm laser in my signature. I now have a "wavelengths I have owned". I will not be putting in the wavelengths I have coming to me until I have them in hand though, since I haven't seen them.

I like hearing other people's opinions on this matter. Thank you to all who shared their thoughts.

I've removed some "in dev" lasers to make room for lasers being built by others.

To me it's more of a sign of trust and respect for someone that's trusted me enough to invest their time for me :beer:

~ LB

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
1) I just had to decide on this one myself, I've seen many do it, but I chose not to tempt fate, and waited for actual delivery.

2) Sure, if it's coming along and eventually going to be finished.

3) No. I do like your "previously owned" idea though, besides, it doesn't take up much room.

4) I'd just state the output with what you use on it. Most people can guess how a G lens would change the output.

In the end, it's your sig. make it unique to you! :yh:

I would think it's up to each member... mine doesn't look very nice as it is, but I like it how it is, and it gets all the basic information about each laser across, sooo...

If you really need to, I'm looking into picking up a 515nm-520nm laser sometime soon... :p

I thought she had been converted Issac :thinking:

More Photon positive re-programming is in order...

~ LB