Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

OPEN SOURCE: The "Heavy Load" - REALLY high current (10 Amp) test load

sounds good :) Hopefully we can get at least one more person interested...

rhd

What's the cost, shipped to Canada?

I might grab one :)

IIRC its something around 6-7$. Would you want more than one? I can either get 5 or 10 made. I will probably take a few just because, so if Dj and you just want one I will probably go for the 5 option.

djQUAN

There should be more interest here. Maybe people think this load will only work for 10A drivers....

It will work perfectly fine for normal people drivers (less than 5A). :p

IWIRE

There should be more interest here. Maybe people think this load will only work for 10A drivers....

It will work perfectly fine for normal people drivers (less than 5A). :p
I agree there should be more interest. It can be built as heavy duty as your imagination. The one I have is the most universal load I have. This one could have some nice features. Put me down for 2 boards please. Personally I like the original black, but I'm not prejudice, I'll take white in a pinch. :)

rhd

PS - white looks horrible when soldered. The yellow flux in most solder stains it.

Didn't think about that. I'm not opposed to black if people want to pitch in a few $ for the boards

rhd

My suggestion might be to run a fresh groupbuy thread. People probably don't realize what's going on in this thread.

Then you could make the cost for a full set of parts too, and then place one massive digikey order and get qty discounts.

Just a thought!

Last edited:
I thought about it.Maybe I can get that done tomorrow, I have been obscenely busy lately. This is the first time I have had a few hours off in the evening. I also just thought about the face that, with me being so busy, I don't want to start something I can't move along quickly. Hopefully within the next week :)

edit: forgot to ask, where did you get the heatsinks RHD? they seemed to fit nicely. I also need to get some thermal epoxy...I may pick up more 22AWG wire to distribute to people as well.

Last edited:
Here's one I worked with this afternoon.

I worked with RHD's initial schematic and worked from there.
attachment.php

I still used the pin headers for jumpers as I have not found a better substitute. Another way could be to use a 2x2 pin header and use two jumpers in parallel. The external connections are through commonly found 508mil pitch terminal blocks.

Instead of two rows of diodes, I decided to use just one so that we could use only one large heatsink for the entire test load. I also used a ceramic heatsink footprint but the pin pitch of TO-220 resistors can fit in the PCB with the same placement line as the diodes.
attachment.php

Then you could cut off part of the PCB or leave it as is and mount the diodes underneath to make a low profile or infinite size heatsinked test load.
attachment.php

I can email the eagle files to anyone interested for further refinement as this was just a quick work. The voltage drop chart hasn't been added yet.

can u send me this file.. i would like to make 1