Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-like with cheap 400mW greenies?

The short answer, yes. If you use this laser long enough, particularly burning things up close without the proper safety glasses, it can eventually harm your vision. If you shine the beam around indoors and it accidentally reflects off a mirror and into your eye (without the proper safety glasses) it will damage your vision very quickly.

yeah a friend of mine shined a 100mw green into my eyes once while we were making jokes. And yes i warned him about the power...no we didnt had savety goggles, only to shine into the sky i said.
That was the last time he played with my lasers.
be responsible and always treat your laser like a weapon.(if its >5mw)

Mike - you got a Aluminum foil head shield TOO! :crackup:

Last edited:
if I dont look at the dot while its burning or im looking at it at an angle, will ir still hit my eye?

DJNY

if I dont look at the dot while its burning or im looking at it at an angle, will ir still hit my eye?

I did burning experiences with my red 200mW dilda laser I had, but it is a stupid idea. I quickly felt that it wasn´t good for my eyes, I learned from this.
It MIGHT be safe to burn from an angel from where you don´t see the bright dot, but I WON´T risk it. A lil move from the laser or a unexpected reflection into your eyes and a seemingly safe angel quickly turns into a fatality for your eye(s).

Better to stay safe while burning right :cool:

Zephyr

Lol. Dude why does it seem like you're trying so hard to get away with not having to wear goggles? :thinking: Is your eyesight not important to you or something? Do you even have a pair of 532 goggles (I hope)? And it's very hard to burn properly if you can't look at what you're burning.

It's your eyesight man. But I suggest you take the suggestion of everyone in here and get the proper safety goggles. You'll be glad you did.

While on the subject. Why is the fascination with burning anyhow? Don't you have lighters? ;) j/k. If you use a strong enough laser so that you have to wear safety glasses to use it, it will impair the beauty of actually using the laser itself. And all inceptions of everything else around it, as it gets tinted.

But many seem to feel this is in fact a good trade off.

I OTOH always aim to have my stock set of measured 5mW:ers in various colors for general use. Putting the torches away :)

I do have safety glasses and I collect lighters. haha, I am just scared of ir. I'm done with burning until i get an ir filter.

It's your eyesight man. But I suggest you take the suggestion of everyone in here and get the proper safety goggles. You'll be glad you did.

Yup, I bought safety goggles before I bought my first laser. I now own more safety goggles than lasers... Damn. :thinking:

I'm going to machine a spanner ring with pins so my pinkies don't get too hot !!!
Susie has not PM'd me but my bank account shows a debit for the 400 mW laser.

HMike

I was thinking maybe a knurled ring with 2 countersunk hex head fasteners with a hole in the center. Then just tap the existing holes. My CNC lathe is down currently. Who's got the lathe! :bowdown:

Hello all,
Well, I wanted to say that Susie has been on top of any emails I sent her way. Responses within minutes. Also, my O-like shipment of waterproof green and red arrived in the country Friday. Not bad at all. Now it is time to test them on the meter. I wondered if I shined them through a set of OD+5 YAG range glasses if that would be a viable IR filter for power testing? Hopefully the package will arrive Monday:tinfoil:

Seems to me that if this thing can do >250mW consistently, it's a good deal for the price.

I'll just think of it as an overspec 250-300 rather than <400mW, and I'll be happy.

And I'm not worried about IR leakage. The 200-400mW of 532nm green kinda warns your eyebulbs to stay away. :D

This thread seems to have more interest than my review of this laser in the review forum.
Pardon me if I copy it here in this review of the same product in the companies forum.

This is the laser recently discussed as the waterproof <400 mW green portable here on LPF.
I received it today with simple tape and bubble wrap packaging with the tail cap removed and no fancy box. That's good news --- It arrived in good condition.
Since others have posted pictures of this laser, I won't bore you with more. The fit and finish is very good and I like the gun metal gray parkerized finish. It came with an unmarked 18650 cell and a tiny charger which I haven't tried. The focusing tool is as advertised and I will make a "finger proof" focusing ring soon but the adjustment is smooth. The tail cap includes double O ring seals and the threads are smooth fitting. The body will accept protected and non-protected cells easily. Nice....

As received in this "cool" weather here, it easily puts out 300 to 350 mW in what appears TEM00 - Clean dot. When I warmed it in my pocket, the power out was a bit different -- it is, like any other greenie, a bit temperature sensative.
Susie warns to not run this for over 60 seconds --- sorry Susie, I had to push it a bit to show the capability. 2 minutes in a cool environment seems OK but I'd limit the on time to 60 sec if it is in a warmer location.

So here is the "old school" graph.

4058-ol-532-350-laser.jpg

I have not tested this with IR filters yet but I don't expect much dangerous leakage since the design must utilize every bit of pump power to get this output. I will try to test IR later.

OOPS ----- The graph needs to be noted 10x scale -- thats 550 mW peak !!! Current draw off the cell is 2.17 Amps.

For Now---

HMike

OH -- I forgot to mention, it will pop and burn :)

Last edited:

DTR

This thread seems to have more interest than my review of this laser in the review forum.

I actually just went looking for it. I might add 400mW Green to the end of the title to make it stand out. Not everyone will make a correlation with the model number.;)

I couldn't find a way to update the title line. I think there's a way but I don't have time to P1$$ with it.

HMike

If you want to protect your eyes against green and IR, while not resorting to opaque solids to do the job, consider getting a pair of ML7 goggles from OEM. It has OD 2.5 for green (up to about 1W is safe), and OD 4 for the IR range (up to 50W safe). They also work for low powered reds (up to about 150mW).

The benefit of the ML7s is that you can look at the green dot/reflection/etc. while not being exposed to the IR, which is what can happen if you use red filters for green protection.

DTR

I couldn't find a way to update the title line. I think there's a way but I don't have time to P1$$ with it.

HMike

Just edit the OP and hit the Go Advanced button and you will see the title bar is editable.:beer: