Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM44.......Share your Ideas, concepts, videos, builds and more.

Added to my list, it can work with the NUBM06 and a replacement can, we need to figure out what numerical shaping lens we need. It could work with the NUBM44 as well, because the window sits below the surface of the can shoulders.

How is the window attached? I guess glue. What say RCB? Also, all of the FAC lenses I've seen used on C-Mount diodes have all been glued on. CowBoy, if you ever see a place to buy FAC lenses please let me know, I've been wanting to find a source for three years and have not found one yet. Although, I gave up looking most of that time until a few google searches today.

Hi guys
I thought best place to post this would be here,
I managed to mount a NUBMO6 ball lens in a brass housing and using my NUBM47-A1 build
Witch is pretty much a NUBM44, I was very happy to see the ball lens has a tighter line at 13metres compared to a China g2 not buy much, it's hard to show in photos but I'm happier to keep the ball lens in my A1 build,
I do have an original G2 from laser 66 but for now haven't compared.

I am getting a little less power with the Gball but not by much, only around 300mw and there is less splash around the bar.

I know the Gballs break easy when trying to extract them so why not just bring the mount down half way as I did and press them in brass mounts,

I wonder if I tried mounting 2 one in front of the other, a 2 element lens for the NUBM44.
I might give it a try and see what happens!

I find this thread about fac lenses very interesting , I can't wait till someone stumbles onto the fac-lens that tames these beasts!

The first beam shot is with the China G2 and the second is with the Gball, it's hard to tell from the pics but to my eyes the Gball has a tighter line!

Attachments

• 1466409304.2535.jpg
    1466409304.2535.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 1466409371.1307.jpg
    1466409371.1307.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 1466409420.4887.jpg
    1466409420.4887.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 1466409485.8886.jpg
    1466409485.8886.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 1466409532.1088.jpg
    1466409532.1088.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 1466409611.4768.jpg
    1466409611.4768.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 110
The window is glued in from the inside, the fac we could glue to the outside of the can, possibly with a spacer similar to the G9.

Edmunds and other big lens sources have them, we need to know what to order.

LOOK AT THIS >>> http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/10150486/Achromatic_cylindrical_lens.html

-------------------
@ Billy, we have to measure the line/spot at a given distance to see what works best.

Last edited:
Yes I know buddy but I need to have it on for too long to walk back and forward 13metres
But the line on both seems about 8-10cmm at 13metres both very similar but the line looks tighter on the Gball!

Thanks for sharing that Billy, good to know, but I like to expand my beams for lower divergence, so for my pointers I can't have a small lens on the diode itself, need the freedom to expand the beam by using longer focal length large diameter lenses. Another reason I like large lenses is because when used with multimode diodes (especially the NUBM44) they can focus the beam to a much smaller spot at greater distances than smaller 6mm diameter lenses can produce, corrected beamshape or not. Although if I can get a FAC lens for the NUBM44, I'd put one on it, even if using a large lens to expand the beam for low divergence and or to focus to a smaller spot for burning, symmetry will only help for both applications.

I've tried googling to find the advantages of FAC lenses, but haven't found a pro or con list of their effects to the beam. So far, from what I've been able to gather FAC lenses only have positive attributes; lower loss than larger lenses and also desired due to their small size, so that bulky lenses or cylinder pairs aren't needed and have less side lobe artifacts or what we call splash, or perhaps none at all, but haven't found anything written which states their advantages compared to larger lenses with longer focal lengths.

RCB, I left message for that China seller of the Achromatic cylinder lenses asking if they sell in small quantity and if so, the range of diameter and FL.

Here are the Edmundoptics.com stock prices for FAC lenses, ouch! http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/optical-lenses/cylinder-lenses/fast-axis-collimators/3603/

Stock%20EO%20FAC_800.jpg

Last edited:
I would assume a fac lens is for immediate correction of wide fast axis beams so they aren't clipped going into columation

Am I the only one who thinks 7watts in a hand held is just ridiculous? I just built my first 44 build and holy smokes. Instant fire? Gee whiz. Gonna go take a long vacation back into single modes for a while... Maybe check out that new 2.6W 465nm diode

Edit:
@ Cowboy: I'm aware the 465nm is MM, i understand how it could be read differently.

Also, Post 666! :evil:

Last edited:
A laser too strong......I have yet to find it but I will continue to search, 7W is no where near enough, I want to do art on steel plates so I need a lot more power and a good beam so exact working distance is not an issue.

p.s. I'm pretty sure that new 465 is a MM diode, but if it is single mode that would be great.

As far as the best way I think correcting some of that highly divergent axis first is the way to go, that's what I have seen good results with, this tester has a nubm44 with a podo G2 and a 6x pair then the 3X expander.

A nubm44 at 14 to 15 feet with a 3 element focuses to a 7/8 long line that smokes wood in several seconds, with just the G2 its a 2 inch long line that takes 15 seconds to smoke in it's full mark, with the G2 and 3X its a burning line about 5/8 - 3/4 that lights paper but not so much wood unless you bear down for a minute, but with the 6X pair in the mix I get a wood igniting spot, even if a huge expander will do well then beam shaping and a huge expander would do a lot better.

Granted a longer FL lens such as the G7 and then the 3X expander works pretty well at this 5 meter distance, but wont burn at 75 feet like the beam shaping set up will, but it's quick and easy. Maybe a zoom focus achromatic cylindrical would be a quick solution, it's similar to the anamorphic lens.

Maybe that Achromatic cylindrical lens will do the trick and with a lot less work, it would need it be in a adjuster that keeps the lens from rotating, just moves fore and aft, or set it and use a secondary to zoom the focal point.

This is a nubm44 with podo G2 followed by a 6X pair and then a 3X expander.

------------------------------------------------------

Here's some that look interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Thanks for the video, that really puts a hot spot on the wood from a long distance away. I wanted to make a video today showing the 3 inch diameter lens assembly I have burning wood from 30 feet away, but couldn't do it, too many people around here. Went behind a building where I could do so but someone came around the corner and I turned my laser off. However, I was able to get a burn mark focused to a fine point which was only 1/16 of an inch wide from 30 feet away. It's wicked how tightly I can focus the beam with a big lens from so far away.

OK, forgive the double post but here's a video I took in my room tonight of a NUBM44 laser diode being collimated by a large 3 inch diameter lens which is focused into a very small spot about 12 feet away from the pointer.

setup4.jpg

GSS

Wow, very impressed and I can see the tiny spot before heat expanded it. Can the that projector lens withstand the heat in due time?
Alaskan i'm curious to what top secret brief case that key goes to:shhh:

@ Alaskan

#1 Are you running the nubm44 with the G2/3E lens removed, that is the raw diode output is going into your 3 inch lens, correct?

#2 Does your 3 inch lens housing have 2 lenses in it?

#3 Is your 3 inch lens an anamorphic?

#4 Can you change your focal point distance by moving your 3 inch lens fore and aft of your nubm44?

#5 What do the troops around there think about IRAN and the future of the US, are they feeling as sick as I am about this election and what lay ahead?

Answers to questions:

GSS question: Can the that projector lens withstand the heat in due time? i'm curious to what top secret brief case that key goes to.

Yes, the output of the laser diode is over two inches diameter by the time it hits the first lens inside the assembly. Even if all of the power was focused as a small spot on the glass, I doubt very much the glass would be heated enough to cause a problem, but the AR coating would likely be damaged by doing so. Ha, that is the key to my room.

RedCowBoy Questions:

#1 Are you running the nubm44 with the G2/3E lens removed, that is the raw diode output is going into your 3 inch lens, correct?

The 3 element lens is completely removed from the host, yes the raw diode output is going into the 3 inch lens assembly.

#2 Does your 3 inch lens housing have 2 lenses in it?

The housing has two lenses in it but the same can be done with a single PCX lens.

#3 Is your 3 inch lens an anamorphic?

The lens assembly is not anamorphic, the second half of the assembly which would make it anamorphic is not attached. Also, half of the output was being cut off due to the focal length of the assembly as well as how quickly the light from the laser diode was spreading. Because of this the full power of the diode was not being delivered into the wood, but demonstrates how finely the beam can be focused. I have done the same thing in the past with much larger lenses which had a focal length that could allow all of the power to be delivered through the aperture.

#4 Can you change your focal point distance by moving your 3 inch lens fore and aft of your nubm44?

Yes, moving the laser (diode) closer or further away changes the focus, the distance the host was from the lens assembly was adjusted to produce the smallest spot possible.

#5 What do the troops around there think about IRAN and the future of the US, are they feeling as sick as I am about this election and what lay ahead?

I haven't had the opportunity to hear their views on this, but many of my civilian coworkers are not happy about the choices we have in the election. From what I've heard so far, the consensus among a few of my coworkers is hell no for Hillary and concern regarding recent statements being made by Trump. The subject of Iran has not come up while working here yet, I've been busting my back side so much we haven't had much time to talk about anything but what we are working on, sadly.

Last edited: