Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM31T 95W 455nm

Hi guys,
Happy to see that there are still people interested in making a good laser from NUBM31-like arrays designed only for laser cutters.
In my posts above you can find experiments purposed to solve your theoretical discussions.

Tomorrow I will post a "report" about trying different cheap drivers in the corresponding thread. It took a lot of time to do the job.

No it's not good at all, but Osram and others will still make singles, I hope to see some holographic home entertainment in the not too distant future, that will bring us more of what we like.
Just saw this

BrilliantLasers

I am having trouble understanding why everyone is using massive blocks of metal for cooling for the nubm31. I am using this $20 CPU cooler and it works amazing. Thing is barely luke warm at 3.4 amps. Cooling is about surface area and air movement. I mean, we have many years of tech behind CPU heat syncs, not sure why we wouldn't use that, they are the perfect size too.

Here's some pics of my setup in action. I'm currently 3d printing a pistol style gun for it.

nubm31.jpgnubm31(2).jpg

Last edited:
Waste heat is a function of the power used versus the optical power out. That means you have to also consider the forward voltage too. While most 445nm and 450nm lasers have a fairly low forward voltage, others don't.

I am having trouble understanding why everyone is using massive blocks of metal for cooling for the nubm31. I am using this $20 CPU cooler and it works amazing. Thing is barely luke warm at 3.4 amps. Cooling is about surface area and air movement. I mean, we have many years of tech behind CPU heat syncs, not sure why we wouldn't use that, they are the perfect size too.

Here's some pics of my setup in action. I'm currently 3d printing a pistol style gun for it.

View attachment 72571View attachment 72572

Because massive aluminum blocks buy a little time acting as a heat reservoir without much effort, but your cooler is the better way.

Printing a pistol housing you say, very cool, make sure to protect your eyes and lase safely. (y)

View attachment 72571View attachment 72572
Where did you purchase both the diode array and driver?

BrilliantLasers

Where did you purchase both the diode array and driver?

no driver, I just plugged the diode directly into a wall outlet. :)

Joking. I bought the array from techhood on ebay, and the driver is a cheap $20 voltage step up/regulator (running 32v-80v) rated for 600 watts from amazon(Seems good so far). Currently running just 8 Panasonic 18650s in series making 32 volts. Those mean little things are giving it 250 watts! I know I need more cells(Or just one big battery), but I want the gun to be small and compact.

@RedCowboy
"Because massive aluminum blocks buy a little time acting as a heat reservoir without much effort, but your cooler is the better way.

Printing a pistol housing you say, very cool, make sure to protect your eyes and lase safely"

Yeah, but paying $20 and waiting one day for delivery seems pretty reasonable to me! Now I'm wondering how well a CPU water cooler would work. And yes, this laser is a little brighter than a candle, I gots some good lasing goggles. ;P

Last edited:

Photon Master

I might be interested in buying a handheld 95 watt laser if you’d want to build me one

The CPU cooler on the picture is also massive. It will not enter into a small gun.
What are the dimentions? Looks like 120mm fan to me.

BrilliantLasers

I might be interested in buying a handheld 95 watt laser if you’d want to build me one
I would question the legality of selling such high power hand held lasers though. Perhaps sell it as a "portable laser welder", even though welding would probably be pretty difficult with this device, as it's power level isn't qualified for that.

BrilliantLasers

The CPU cooler on the picture is also massive. It will not enter into a small gun.
What are the dimentions? Looks like 120mm fan to me.
I'm sticking it on the back of the gun above the handle grip. Yes, it's gonna look a little funny, but I don't care. :)

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I'd love to make a fallout laser pistol with one of these

Photon Master

True… although there are any number of tools out there that are legal but dangerous if handled by idiot. You can buy a hunting rifle just about anywhere
I would question the legality of selling such high power hand held lasers though. Perhaps sell it as a "portable laser welder", even though welding would probably be pretty difficult with this device, as it's power level isn't qualified for that.

BrilliantLasers

Hey everyone, as promised, here are some pictures of my WIP laser pistol with the Nubm31 designed from scratch with 3d printed parts. 8 Panasonic 18650s are outputting 260-280 watts, which after voltage step up ends up being 83v 3.2-3.3 amps. The gun is pretty ugly right now as some things have been last minute thrown in with duct tape and what not(Not finished, things will be cleaned up)

I've been having trouble with buttons burning out and not handling a mere 3 amps?! Like what the hell is with all the low amp/fake amperage ratings of momentary buttons out there?! I'm actually considering making my own button trigger from scratch. It's literally the simplest electrical part in the world, yet it's so hard to find a button that can realistically handle over 2-3 amps! Right now I'm using a tiny button from a dollar store toy, and it's holding up better than this apparent '3 amp' button I purchased for the gun originally.

Ps, that hilarious circuit board attached to the back, is a driver I had to attach to the gun to drive the fan(Originally intended to drive 7 watt diodes). I didn't intend to have a dedicated power supply for the fan, but the 32 volt batteries were to high for that little thing.

nubm31(5).jpgnubm31(3).jpgnubm31(4).jpg

Last edited: