Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nova lasers Atlantis 445nm!

Well even with a normal lens on these hobby builds we're still getting as low as 1.6 mrad on the fast axis which is actually pretty awesome. The slow axis is as low as .2mrad. Since nova claims it's an elliptical dot they might not even use corrective optics either. I think they're just putting the lens closer to the diode to get the smaller beam diamter than we are which makes the divergence a little worse.

megha

well, I`ve done a mistake when mentioned that the spyder was about 350mm. It is just 228mm of lenght. So, it`s only 29mm longer that the nova (199mm).
Please read this because now some of you think that all that extra mass was useful for cooling the module/diode, and now I see that they are very similar. The biggest difference is in the diameter, 35.8mm for Spyder and 23mm for Atlantis.
Excluding the googles matter, I would choice Spyder. Diameter is not annoying and if it is correctly designed, it`s useful to cool the diode/module.

Sorry for the mistake, but I`ve read in other topic that spyder measures about 35cm and there was my mistake. Also in WL site says "228mm x 35.8mm" and in NL says "23 mm X 199 mm" which is backward written.

D

Deleted member 8382

and the extra diameter is because of that things that come out from the spyder, the real size is the same at the end :)

I have owned both of those hosts and I will say that the Nova one is light and feels like there is not much mass to it. Plus the little green and red painted divets make it look cheap. I have never been a fan of that host. It is one of my least favorite of all of the lasers I have owned It just isn't attractive IMHO. The WL spyder III however has got some serious mass to it. Plus it looks like it is out of a sci-fi movie, and the LED battery life indicator is totally sweet, PLUS the safety key in the tail still works to deactivate the laser but doesn't ruin the look of it. PLUS it has a constant on/off rear clickly (huge plus in my book)

im new to the forum but i own a few good lasers. i want to buy teh new arctic from WL but im not sure about the build quality. does any own any laser from WL and if so are the any good? my friend has a 100mW from tyhem and it seems good. i just dont wanna blow $200 on a lasrer that craps out on me ina few days.

The human eye response is much lower in the blue wavelengths than the green.
For photopic vison (non dark adapted vision) the 532nm green is ~17x brighter than 445nm blue for a given output power, so 1 Watt of 445nm would be about as bright as 60mw of 532nm green. For Scotopic vision (when your eyes are dark adapted; there is a chemical change in the eye after ~15-20 minutes of complete darkness, the resonse shifts to the left somewhat and then 532nm will only be ~4x brighter than 445nm, so 1000mw of 445nm would be equal in visual brightness to ~250mw of 532nm green.
Here's a link to learn more.
Luminosity function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I do think Nova's spec, charts and timetables are much more honest & realistic than WLs.

I know that the human eye is most sensitive to green light. But I'm considering the relative intensities also. I suppose the graph does not.
I'd be very surprised if 500mW of 445nm "looks" dimmer than 75mW of 532nm.

-Tony

The CR123s are a dealbreaker for me. The thing I like about the Spyder (other than the way it looks :p) is the fact that it uses an 18650.
Which I have assloads of.

If it takes an 18650, then I'm totally getting this instead. Ze goggles! Zey DO something!

But, like a noob, I will post first and search later.

Do you realize that one 18650 takes the place of two CR123s? In other words if it takes two CR123s you can just stick a 18650 in it.

Asherz

Re: Nova lasers 445nm EDIT

If I read that right-- free shipping is only if you buy their goggles-- and duty cycle is TBD (to be determined?) and no TEC cooling-and its a pre-order so be ready to WAIT-buI its nice to see ANYBODY giving WL some competition!!!

thanks for the find!!!

Why does it matter if there's no TEC cooling? The Spyder doesn't offer it either. It'll destroy the battery life.

Do you realize that one 18650 takes the place of two CR123s? In other words if it takes two CR123s you can just stick a 18650 in it.

One CR123 is 16mm wide, hence the 16340 battery, and the one 18650 would also be too short. Then there's voltage, two CR123s = 6v, one 18650 = 4.2v at max, and that's not for long. You could use two Juice RCR123 rechargeable batteries, they're 3v each. Just didn't want anyone to mess up their laser. Oh, and don't use two 16340s in this, that's over 8v in, which would probably break it.

I'd like to see one of these in the PGL-III-C host instead of the -A, if they made one in the -C host, I would buy it.....

i have a little question......... the atlantis has a SIDE button... ok.... but... is it an ON/off or MOMENTARY on button?

i am a 4ever momentary on puxsh button fan..... i think that a back switch is less safe to use.... because if you point the laser around and you see that you NEED to stop it... with the momentaty on... you just need to release the button.... and the laser can be used with ONE hand. back switch....instead force you to use the second hand to light the laser.

AH..... i think atlantis/aplha host have a front switch to CLOSE the beam. or not?
....does the arctic have this features so usefull to preserve the lense?

however.. i